Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shield those at high-risk and release everyone else?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
You are so dramatic.

No one has said that.

Like it or not we need to get people back to work and at the moment it makes sense to get people back that are least affected by it and work from there.

Stop taking it so personally.

No work, no taxes = no nhs

But it IS personal to me - my wife is 59 and was diagnosed with blood cancer in December last year. I want to give her every opportunity to see her 60th birthday. I have buried my mum this year and don’t want to have to repeat this with my soul mate - so yes, I am being dramatic.

I don’t want to read people saying just lock the aged and vulnerable away to be forgotten, so the young can keep spending money keeping the economy going...

I am deeply sorry that we are an inconvenience to you, and maybe I am being over dramatic, but yes it IS personal.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
But it IS personal to me - my wife is 59 and was diagnosed with blood cancer in December last year. I want to give her every opportunity to see her 60th birthday. I have buried my mum this year and don’t want to have to repeat this with my soul mate - so yes, I am being dramatic.

I don’t want to read people saying just lock the aged and vulnerable away to be forgotten, so the young can keep spending money keeping the economy going...

I am deeply sorry that we are an inconvenience to you, and maybe I am being over dramatic, but yes it IS personal.

So the best way to do that is to shield her whilst those that can go back to work and help fund the NHS

You have taken every semi sensible suggestion as a personal death threat

If people wanted older generations to die that would not be suggesting shielding, which can actually be done safer with x amount going back to work and making safevspaces/ times for her to get treatment.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

But you must realise that people like your wife are going to have to be shielded now for the rest of this crisis. That can't be prevented now.

I don't know if you have kids, but if you do, i'm guessing you'd want them to see their friends, advance their careers or study for a qualification, meet a partner, (all the things that you and I had the chance to do at that age) if, as all the evidence suggests, there is minimal risk to them in doing so

Best of luck to your family in getting through the crisis.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
So the best way to do that is to shield her whilst those that can go back to work and help fund the NHS

You have taken every semi sensible suggestion as a personal death threat

If people wanted older generations to die that would not be suggesting shielding, which can actually be done safer with x amount going back to work and making safevspaces/ times for her to get treatment.

But the suggestion I was railing against was that of locking away all over 65s (10 million at last census), as suggested by another poster. The tone of that post was that the young should be allowed to get on with their lives, making and spending money to keep the economy ticking over, while those that didn’t fit the demographic were to be locked away!

As I said maybe I have taken it too personally, but it just appears the tone of some, if not the intent, is rather callous...,

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Re there elderly being locked away for years. It's unfair, but not quite as unfair as the young having to do it. At least the elderly have had a chance to do all the things you do when you're young.

If this was going to end soon, i'd think differently, but you can't ask the young to isolate themselves for years on end. It's unreasonable

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
But you must realise that people like your wife are going to have to be shielded now for the rest of this crisis. That can't be prevented now.

I don't know if you have kids, but if you do, i'm guessing you'd want them to see their friends, advance their careers or study for a qualification, meet a partner, (all the things that you and I had the chance to do at that age) if, as all the evidence suggests, there is minimal risk to them in doing so

Best of luck to your family in getting through the crisis.

Thank you for your good wishes. We have a 3 year old, who is due to start school in September - he won’t be as I cannot guarantee my wife’s safety if he goes to school. He will be deferred for as long as I can realistically do it, then may have to consider home schooling if necessary.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Thank you for your good wishes. We have a 3 year old, who is due to start school in September - he won’t be as I cannot guarantee my wife’s safety if he goes to school. He will be deferred for as long as I can realistically do it, then may have to consider home schooling if necessary.

Your wife is 59 and you have a 3 year old? Crikey

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Following yesterday's announcement, to some extend we are heading down the route of younger people going back out and older people staying at home. By virtue of the fact that most people who work are under 65 and most people over 65 are retired.

So by advising that everyone who cannot WFH, other than those in a business specifically restricted from operating (e.g. cinema) should return to work from today, this does effectively mean that many younger people can re-engage with life outside home from today, while many people over 65 will not have that reason to.

I appreciate it is much more nuanced / complicated than than that, but as a broad brush summary we have now started to head in this direction.

We will have to wait to see what comes from the 50 pages of guidance this afternoon for more details..

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It’s a money move Construction & Manufacturing numbers have an influential effect on the counties financial markets they don’t give a shit about human life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here