Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 1979 Cup Final on ITV +1

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A game I remember well, especially the last few mins. What I didn’t remember is how many Albion connections there are

Back in the days when the Cup was a BIG BIG deal

Mickey Thomas
Frank Stapleton
Liam Brady
Steve Coppell
Willie Young

Have I missed any?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Oh and. Brian Clough co commentating

Mickey Thomas has done more in the first few mins than he did in his whole time down here :smile:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
A game I remember well, especially the last few mins. What I didn’t remember is how many Albion connections there are

Mickey Thomas
Frank Stapleton
Liam Brady
Steve Coppell
Willie Young

Have I missed any?

Dave Sexton who was managing Utd.

How could I forget, he scored both goals in my first ever Albion game

Albion 2 Palace 0

For a bit more of a tenuous link Ron Challis was ref for both the 79 Cup Final and your first ever Albion game (and the infamous clash when Mullery threw his change on the ground and told Palace they weren't worth that).

Last edited:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Mickey Thomas
Frank Stapleton
Liam Brady
Steve Coppell
Willie Young

Have I missed any?

Thank you for the heads up. Just settled down to watch on itv player. That last 5 minutes has to be one of the best ever.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
England v Cameroon 1990 tomorrow on BBC1 at 2.30. If the weather is shithouse I'll be all over that.

I watched the full 90 of England v Argentina 2002 last weekend and really enjoyed it. These revisits are excellent.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
England v Cameroon 1990 tomorrow on BBC1 at 2.30. If the weather is shithouse I'll be all over that.

The Beeb showed that in their highlights show. What really annoys me is the Semi Final was an absolutely brilliant game, far better than the Cameroon game IMO but it never gets talked about as a game - the focus is always on Gaza’s tears and the shootout.

The best two sides in the tournament (possibly harsh on Italy) going toe to toe in a belter.

https://www.theblizzard.co.uk/article/england-1-west-germany-1

Last edited:

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
The Beeb showed that in their highlights show. What really annoys me is the Semi Final was an absolutely brilliant game, far better than the Cameroon game IMO but it never gets talked about as a game - the focus is always on Gaza’s tears and the shootout.

The best two sides in the tournament (possibly harsh on Italy) going toe to toe in a belter.

https://www.theblizzard.co.uk/article/england-1-west-germany-1

We were massive underdogs on the night, Germany were the best team in the tournament by a mile and had strolled their way to the semi and we had stuttered our way. I didn’t give us much chance. What followed was the best England performance in my lifetime, we were outstanding and should have won the game. Gazza was immense, Lineker was lethal, Beardsley and Waddle were superb, the only weak link in the side was a ‘one tournament too far’ Shilton, which eventually proved the difference. I was gutted for weeks afterwards.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

I watched the full 90 of England v Argentina 2002 last weekend and really enjoyed it. These revisits are excellent.

I watched the opening game of that World Cup Argentina v Cameroon on my honeymoon in Zante in the hotel bar, Mrs hut was not impressed :lolol:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
We were massive underdogs on the night, Germany were the best team in the tournament by a mile and had strolled their way to the semi and we had stuttered our way. I didn’t give us much chance. What followed was the best England performance in my lifetime, we were outstanding and should have won the game. Gazza was immense, Lineker was lethal, Beardsley and Waddle were superb, the only weak link in the side was a ‘one tournament too far’ Shilton, which eventually proved the difference. I was gutted for weeks afterwards.

Agree with all of that. We were absolutely superb - the best performance I've seen from an England team. Such a cruel game. I was at a conference and watched it on a cinema screen at the NEC. The party that followed was a little bit flat, to put it mildly.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Watching the clips form the World Cup games shown at lunchtime on BBC and then catching the 1979 domestic Cup final reminded me of the huge gulf in class between the two. On the evidence of this, English club football was still in the Dark Ages. Thankfully the gap has closed now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here