[Travel] Official swift appreciation thread

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Saw quite a few of them last Thursday
They were flying all over - could have been because of all the pan-banging and clapping.

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
I'm delighted to report the first couple of swifts have returned to Sackville Road, Hove. I love them. Watching them in flight is one of natures great spectacles and as their numbers build their screaming parties at dusk fill me with great joy.

If you are lucky enough to have some near you please record your sightings here:

https://www.rspb.org.uk/our-work/co...tainability/safeguarding-species/swiftmapper/

At least 6 over us yesterday. Sadly not nesting nearby as we're on a new estate but great to see and hear them. One of the sounds of summer.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
House Martin's......relation of swifts....you can keep them ha ha. I owned a flat in my youth and thought it was fantastic house martin's had started to build a nest by the window in my bedroom.

1) They poo everywhere
2) When the chicks are born they chirp loudly all night.
3) I couldn't open the window because the nest prevented doing so, I roasted that summer.

Apart from that I l loved it but the next few years I hung plastic bags up near the nesting sites ( as everyone else does) to discourage building of nests. It is apparently illegal to knock down nests once built (please correct me if wrong) and I would never destroy one anyway. Real twitcher me but that was a stage too far :D

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
House Martin's......relation of swifts....you can keep them ha ha. I owned a flat in my youth and thought it was fantastic house martin's had started to build a nest by the window in my bedroom.

1) They poo everywhere
2) When the chicks are born they chirp loudly all night.
3) I couldn't open the window because the nest prevented doing so, I roasted that summer.

I guess you didn't enjoy one happy hour back then. :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here