Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] When all this is over (ish) - EPL 'B' teams playing in the lower leagues?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sadly it's behind Mr Naylor's paywall, but Mr Ashworth is once again floating the idea of Premier League sides coming to the rescue of smaller teams with different debt! in the form of B teams, a la Spain.

[tweet]1259001882820907008[/tweet]

I would be nice for us to bale out Leeds.
I'll sure they'd be keen to have a few more Albion yoof players.

Last edited:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Sadly it's behind Mr Naylor's paywall, but Mr Ashworth is once again floating the idea of Premier League sides coming to the rescue of smaller teams with different debt! in the form of B teams, a la Spain.

The article is from Feb 2nd.

Unhelpful bounce by Naylor given that bhafc and Barber are being made to be public enemy number one by a small but vocal subsection of the press at the moment.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I assume a degree of locality would be involved. It would be fukken hysterical if we took over a smaller club like Portsmouth or Palace.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
The article is from Feb 2nd.

Unhelpful bounce by Naylor given that bhafc and Barber are being made to be public enemy number one by a small but vocal subsection of the press at the moment.

This is what Ashworth says in the article:-

A couple of years ago, we were world champions, European champions, [at younger age groups] from an England point of view, and didn’t have enough of those players transitioning into the first team, so there was that gap,” he says.

Is it B teams? Is it strategic loans and partnerships? Is it a relaxation of loan rules? I suspect it’s a bit of all of those [that could help] but there isn’t a clear transition or pathway that every single player will follow from being a nine-year-old to getting into the first team.

“So I think we need a little bit more flexibility as a nation in how to help them get those right experiences.

You look at Spain, where they have B teams. They can control the environment, control the club and help facilitate how those players get into, for example, Barcelona’s first team by having a bit more control about how they develop their young players.

“As a league, as a nation, I don’t think we have got that bit right yet. It’s not: headline, do I want B teams? I think there needs to be more flexibility.

Let us be absolutely clear - the idea of B teams in the English football league (whether officially controlled by the senior club or not) is an absolute abomination. I posted this in a thread the other day:-

Personally, I'd rather support an independent phoenix-type Brighton and Hove Albion playing in the Southern Combination Football League than a Chelsea-owned Brighton and Hove Albion playing at any level, but each to their own.

Can you imagine what the reaction of Albion fans would have been 10 or 15 years ago if someone at a Liverpool or Manchester United had suggested that their B team should be competing alongside Albion (or even in a higher division) simply to facilitate a better pathway for their players from youth level to the first team?

It disappoints me that ANYONE from our club is even contemplating such a repulsive notion. :nono:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not overly fond of the idea but it did help stabilize the economy of Eerste Divise (the Dutch second division) since tv companies, international audience etc are more interested in Jong Ajax than in Nooit Opgeven, Altijd Doorzetten Aangenaam Door Vermaak En Nuttig Door Ontspanning Combinatie Breda. Plus it makes the bigger cluber a bit more interested in spreading their wealth to the lower divisions as they need leagues to be competitive if their players are going to develop.

Generally dont like the idea, though if we have a whole year in front of us with empty arenas it could be the only option if you want a league system with 92 professional teams.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
We already have a partnership with Crawley. We pay most of the upkeep of the pitch. and our uner23 and women play there. Is it such a big leap if we were also allowed to send 4 or 5 under23 instead of the 1 we have there?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

It even made The Tinpot Times.
We need the lower leagues to survive, as it's where the football heart comes from :)

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
It's a horrific idea and one I want nothing to do with, we're fortunate at the his point to be one of the :haves' but for the majority of our history we've been one of the 'have nots'. One of the things that I am mist proud about with English football is the rich tapestry of clubs and support right down the league's this makes us unique to any other country and we should cherish it.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
totally, totally against this personally. the great thing about the efl is that it's not the premier league, and i believe the quality and competitive nature of the league would really be put at risk by this. I would hate for the efl to become the dumping ground for the unwanted players/kids in premier league squads. horrendous idea. coupled with the fact that b teams cannot win promotion in other leagues where they exist but many still p!ss their leagues regardless and finish miles ahead of everyone else, this idea would be a huge turd on the doorstep of the league's integrity. no thanks

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
totally, totally against this personally. the great thing about the efl is that it's not the premier league, and i believe the quality and competitive nature of the league would really be put at risk by this. I would hate for the efl to become the dumping ground for the unwanted players/kids in premier league squads. horrendous idea. coupled with the fact that b teams cannot win promotion in other leagues where they exist but many still p!ss their leagues regardless and finish miles ahead of everyone else, this idea would be a huge turd on the doorstep of the league's integrity. no thanks

What about partnerships. If I remember correctly Crawley rent their training ground for about £100,000, What if they trained at Lancing instead. Our women and U23 Play at Crawley, What if we paid for the running cost of the stadium so save another x amount.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Personally, I'd rather support an independent phoenix-type Brighton and Hove Albion playing in the Southern Combination Football League than a Chelsea-owned Brighton and Hove Albion playing at any level, but each to their own.

In a nutshell, this how I'd expect ALL fans of their clubs to respond - On Saturdays from Aug-May, I really don't care which league Derby are in, I just want them to win and be top of the league. In front of 3 men, 2 women and dog called Bruce, it doesn't matter, their your club not some subsidiary.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
What about partnerships. If I remember correctly Crawley rent their training ground for about £100,000, What if they trained at Lancing instead. Our women and U23 Play at Crawley, What if we paid for the running cost of the stadium so save another x amount.

Come on, we don’t want to travel to ‘Croydon Lite’ to see our Albion games but you are on to something.

I think this a brilliant idea from Mr Ashworth. It would work well with the plan to change all divisions (down to National League North & South) to 20 team divisions creating a new EFL League 3 where ‘B’ Sides could slot in. ‘B’ sides would not quality for promotion from the new League 3 as that is not their prime objective.

This would allow the Albion to pursue plans for their second stadium on the Falmer site which would be the home of the Women’s Team, U23s & Brighton & Hove Albion ‘B’. The model for this would be Man City’s academy stadium: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Stadium

However, we’ll probably need a larger capacity than that due to the growing popularity of the Women’s game. Something akin to the Vitality Stadium would be ideal.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Pity that football can't get a conscience and distribute some (meaningful amount) of the vast sums of money down the leagues.

But I guess the likes of Sterling/Pogba/Sallah etc would then be forced to survive on only £150K a week so a non starter really

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
We have a potential 'B' team anyway in Belgium. They have had two players on loan, one successfully, the other less so.

I'm sure we can gradually expand that if necessary, and as mentioned by another poster there is no reason we can't look at encouraging more local loans at Crawley.

I am yet to be convinced by the actual need for formal B teams in the FL.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Come on, we don’t want to travel to ‘Croydon Lite’ to see our Albion games but you are on to something.

I think this a brilliant idea from Mr Ashworth. It would work well with the plan to change all divisions (down to National League North & South) to 20 team divisions creating a new EFL League 3 where ‘B’ Sides could slot in. ‘B’ sides would not quality for promotion from the new League 3 as that is not their prime objective.

This would allow the Albion to pursue plans for their second stadium on the Falmer site which would be the home of the Women’s Team, U23s & Brighton & Hove Albion ‘B’. The model for this would be Man City’s academy stadium: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Stadium

However, we’ll probably need a larger capacity than that due to the growing popularity of the Women’s game. Something akin to the Vitality Stadium would be ideal.

I'm struggling to think what is the difference between a 20 team 'B' league for EPL clubs with no promotion and no relegation and EPL2! If there is no relegation or promotion presumably a team winning the division below just jump to the division above the 'B' league.

Personally, assuming the only division they couldn't be promoted to would be the EPL, i'm yet to be convinced as you don't want to see massive clubs like City putting out a squad that could win the Championship on a regular basis. Seems bizarre when, at this very moment, we are talking about integrity of competition!

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009

I think I read that League 1 and 2 need up to £200m (maybe that includes the Championship) Part of that could come in savings rather than just handing over money,, and I think someone like Crawley could make saving through our help. with training ground and stadium cost.

Just looking at this thread I think it is safe to say that it would be very unpopular for Brighton to take over a team like Crawley and use it as our B team. but perhaps a concession of a couple of extra youth players allowed on loan to Crawley in return wouldn't be outrageous, especially if this was a temporary measure while lower league teams get back on their feet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here