Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Teaching and GCSEs

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
I'm not sure if it's been covered anywhere alse, but is it public knowledge what is happening with GCSEs? Partner is a teacher and is heartbroken by what she has to do for her classes based on ver outdated data. Any other teachers of parents feeling awful?

Lete know if there is another thread for support.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm not sure if it's been covered anywhere alse, but is it public knowledge what is happening with GCSEs? Partner is a teacher and is heartbroken by what she has to do for her classes based on ver outdated data. Any other teachers of parents feeling awful?

Yes, GCSE, AS level and A’Level courses have all recently come to an end. Schools and colleges are being asked to provide to exam bodies, a centre assessment grade for each student and the rank order of students within each grade. This was widely covered by the media, especially radio eg 5live, R4 and LBC. Many upset parents and kids, gutted about the ill luck of this pandemic coming at a crucial time for students. There was also sadness about missing out on saying goodbye to students and staff, and Proms got a mention.

No doubt the ‘winners’ will be kids who worked hard throughout, a teachers dream. Sadly, the losers will be last minute crammers, who have the ability to master subjects in a last month or so of revision, often independently of a classroom setting at home.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My grandson is 16 next month and told he will be assessed on his term work. He is ok with that as he has done consistently well.
What he is worried about, is that none of the colleges are processing applications, so he doesn't know if Reigate college will be open or accept him in September. He is completely in limbo.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
My daughter turns 16 in a couple of weeks so we're aware. She should be ok in most subjects and is fortunate in that she is staying on in the 6th form at her school and already has a place. They've already sent out reading material for the A level courses so she is supposed to be getting stuck into that.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My daughter turns 16 in a couple of weeks so we're aware. She should be ok in most subjects and is fortunate in that she is staying on in the 6th form at her school and already has a place. They've already sent out reading material for the A level courses so she is supposed to be getting stuck into that.

He thought about staying where he is, but it's a private school and the courses aren't as good as Reigate.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
He thought about staying where he is, but it's a private school and the courses aren't as good as Reigate.

I went to Reigate college. I’m sure it’s changed a bit since ‘95 but I loved the place. I hope it works out for your grandson.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Our daughter-in-law is a teacher. She was on the phone today in tears because all the efforts she has made to be supportive of her kids but also scrupulously honest in her assessments have been a waste of time because there are parameters and limits on what assessments they can make.

She is a passionate and very good teacher, cares deeply about the young people she teaches - GCSE and A-level - and is now wondering why she bothers.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My grandson is 16 next month and told he will be assessed on his term work. He is ok with that as he has done consistently well.
What he is worried about, is that none of the colleges are processing applications, so he doesn't know if Reigate college will be open or accept him in September. He is completely in limbo.

My daughter is at Reigate college and absolutely loves it there. I really feel for her as this virus has ripped out a major part of her time there. One of my wife's best friends works in the front office there, I'll find out what their current plans are with regard to entrants for next year and PM you.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My daughter is at Reigate college and absolutely loves it there. I really feel for her as this virus has ripped out a major part of her time there. One of my wife's best friends works in the front office there, I'll find out what their current plans are with regard to entrants for next year and PM you.

Thank you. My granddaughter did her A levels there last year and loved it, which was why her younger brother wanted to go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here