Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Player contracts

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I think it time to save clubs from themselves and prevent them from spending all (and more) of their income on players. This is the only reason there is talk of clubs going bust. They must be forced to hold reserves.
We need salary capping, contracts held at and by the relevant league, get out clauses for clubs. Anything else ?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
All contracts to automatically drop to eg. £500 per week if the league has to be suspended for the duration of the suspension.

May 4, 2020
I totally agree. My fear with wage caps is that the cap for top flight football will probably be something like 200k a week still and then before you know, the whole league is on 200k a week.

I wish there was a way we could get rid of the agents in football

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
My concern with a salary cap is that it could produce an NFL-style circuit of players, where only a handful of players tend to stay with a team for more than few years. Because teams are always needing to make salary cap room, it is accepted practice that top players will be traded or released to free up room. Likewise, players know that to maximise their earnings, they need to move 3-4 times in their career to go with the flow of where there is cap space.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I totally agree. My fear with wage caps is that the cap for top flight football will probably be something like 200k a week still and then before you know, the whole league is on 200k a week.

I wish there was a way we could get rid of the agents in football

Perhaps there could be a formula for contracts based on income ie a type of FFP but in real time rather than after the event. It could be administered by an outside body.
I agree with you about agents. Contracts need to be standardized which would remove the need for agents.

My concern with a salary cap is that it could produce an NFL-style circuit of players, where only a handful of players tend to stay with a team for more than few years. Because teams are always needing to make salary cap room, it is accepted practice that top players will be traded or released to free up room. Likewise, players know that to maximise their earnings, they need to move 3-4 times in their career to go with the flow of where there is cap space.

Isn’t that what happens already though ? I don’t think Lewis Dunk type loyalty is that common and it comes at a big price for the Albion with ever increasing wage packets.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here