[Travel] Ten reasons now is a great time to start cycling

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Mrs. V has been taking advantage of the quiet roads to top up her driving experience, she has had a licence for years but had not driven much for 25 odd years, she's been on our car insurance for ages but rarely drives..... maybe not such a good time to take up cycling ?

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Count me in..

e02429e2e241a0d54acd172e097d1546.gif

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Bit of training for vehicle drivers on the recommended Highway Code distance for overtaking cyclists (which isn’t 2 feet from their right handlebar grip)

And we’re up and running! :D

Oh I agree....driving around in the van had been a delight for about four weeks since lockdown started ...waving pedestrians across the road...letting cyclists out....and then the last two weeks back to normal ..back to everyone in their vehicle wanting to whizz around break the speed limits etc
...and then we have people wandering out into the road and cyclists not bothering with red lights...that little moment of peace has passed by

...just an observation from a person who is not perfect and walks, cycles and drives

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I've taken the opportunity to get my nephew cycling on the roads. He's fine cycling on trails but some of the busier roads around here he's been nervous...so this was the perfect opportunity to get him used to the roads before the traffic increases again.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
I’ve been trying to buy a new bike for several weeks and supplies are virtually non-existent, both online and in bike shops. Most are quoting delivery dates in September and October. Also, second hand bikes are becoming rarer and pricier. I’d need to compromise massively on my requirements in order to buy now.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Due to not being able to play football, I've upped my cycling from once, to four times a week. Some things I've noticed with some cyclists which I'm struggling for answers are;
Why do some cyclists cycle with their safety helmet hanging on their handle-bars and not on their head?
Why do some cyclists cycle along the narrow seafront cycle lane using no hands, usually with arms folded, and wearing a smug grin?
Why do some cyclists cycle staring at their mobile phone instead of looking where they're going?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Jacqui Oatley is a newly-reformed cyclist and was waxing lyrical about it on 5 Live a day or two ago.

Just checking out her twitter account, and there's a LOT of cycling stuff.

[tweet]1257982219609571328[/tweet]

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Due to not being able to play football, I've upped my cycling from once, to four times a week. Some things I've noticed with some cyclists which I'm struggling for answers are;
Why do some cyclists cycle with their safety helmet hanging on their handle-bars and not on their head?
Why do some cyclists cycle along the narrow seafront cycle lane using no hands, usually with arms folded, and wearing a smug grin?
Why do some cyclists cycle staring at their mobile phone instead of looking where they're going?

Yeah, this little prick is the biggest offender.

tumblr_n55vis7JZF1rualamo1_500.gif

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

All good questions. I have another one.

Why do regular club cyclists still insist, during lockdown, on going on their usual long rides that stretch the definition of staying close to home to the very limits?

Some people don't seem to understand the difference between a want and a need.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I don't see that too often but about 15 years ago, when I worked in London, I cycled into work and regularly saw a fella cycling along, staring at or speaking into, a mobile phone. I'd see him at least once a week doing this.

He certainly survived the experience ... he's our prime minister now

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Cos whether on foot, bike, train, bus, car or plane some people are ****s.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005

The answer to all your questions is ‘peacocking’ or as it is more commonly referred to these days ‘virtue signalling’.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here