Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Will Hove Greyhound Stadium survive the Covid crisis?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Sadly the sport was on its arse anyway, no more Dog Tracks in London, see a very uncertain future for something that was a huge part of the local popular culture for a number of generations.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Sadly the sport was on its arse anyway, no more Dog Tracks in London, see a very uncertain future for something that was a huge part of the local popular culture for a number of generations.

Don't see why not, run by Corals. The game is on its arse, but Hove plays a large part of the B.A.G.S.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Always seems like a relic of a bygone era, even when you go there. Days must be numbered shirley

Very much so, although I see it as a bit of a rites of passage.

Of those of us who've been I'll hazard a guess, we were in our yoof and have bloody fond memories of the place.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
"It's no shame that a site of animal cruelty could be forced to close down"
"Typical PC brigade lol, dogs dying isn't proof of cruelty, my mate keeps a greyhound and he's never heard it complain, what about raargh raargh"
"It just seems a bit archaic these days. Perhaps you're projecting with the PC accusation"
"Yeah but what about my wife and I went there for our anniversary, she loved it, you're trying to undermine our freedom"
"Well, there are other places in Sussex where you can have a few beers and a basket of lukewarm scampi"
"Won't somebody think of the people who work there? You snowflakes couldn't give a shit about them facing destitution!"
"They're paid really poorly and everyone who worked there has been looking for new jobs anyway"
"Look, say what you want but it's a great night out. It'll be the end of an era for the lads if it goes. I'm just saying"
"Couldn't you just meet up to drink dodgy lager in soulless stone concourses at Falmer, though?"
"What about the gambling industry! No-one's allowed to have fun anymore! It's free for kids"
"Fellas, this thread's been dragging on for six years and is starting to smell and go a shade of gammon. I've locked it, any questions please contact the ghost of Desert Orchid"

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham

Of those of us who've been I'll hazard a guess, we were in our yoof and have bloody fond memories of the place.

BALLYREGAN-CURTIS-DEC-85.jpg

Ballyregan Bob with his trainer George Curtis who died recently aged 96.

World record holder (32 consecutive victories) Culminating @ Hove on Dec 9 1986 (Racing Post Challenge)

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
View attachment 123253

Ballyregan Bob with his trainer George Curtis who died recently aged 96.

World record holder (32 consecutive victories) Culminating @ Hove on Dec 9 1986 (Racing Post Challenge)

I worked their for many years and saw him run many times. Hopefully its the end of an era.

Greyhounds will hopefully become just another pet breed, and stopped being over breed for money and betting.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I worked their for many years and saw him run many times. Hopefully its the end of an era.

Greyhounds will hopefully become just another pet breed, and stopped being over breed for money and betting.

Very black and white view. Why do you think breeders breed dogs?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

Yep, a few beers a few bets without looking to lose your wedge. Trying to avoid the temptation of the food in the restaurant when absolutely starving because you know how crap it’s gonna be.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yep, a few beers a few bets without looking to lose your wedge. Trying to avoid the temptation of the food in the restaurant when absolutely starving because you know how crap it’s gonna be.
Im guessing the yoof no longer have to look up from their phones to 'experience' the thrill of cheering home a winner.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Did he take up training greyhounds before or after managing the Albion?

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham

Sadly these ancient dogs will never just become a pet breed, they will become extinct.

FYI people who are involved in Greyhound Racing, like the trainers and the owners make very little money from the sport, its the ****ing bookmakers that bleed it dry!!

Shame the protesters don't apply their craft to horse racing which is just as cruel (debatable), but I don't see that sport being ruined, why? Because it's a multi-million pound industry, even Bloom owns a string of Race horses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here