Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Florian Schneider RIP

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I truly can’t begin to explain the influence this band, and this person, has had on my life.

Thank you for everything.

RIP Florian.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
RIP . Very influential band , Duran Duran often reference them as inspirational
as do Depeche Mode & Human league .

Florian and Kraftwerk were a huge influence on David Bowie too, hence the tribute song he wrote, V2-Schneider.

Gutted I've never managed to get to see them live.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Wir fahren fahren fahren auf der Autobahn.

I think everyone was dazzled by them in the early/mid 1970s. Autobahn the Album came out in 1974. Still gets me today.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Brilliant Music, was just playing Autobahn and its sounds like it was made yesterday. My Sister had the Trans Europe Express album and it just sounded unique.

Always played in this house, will always be driving on that Autobahn, riding in the TDF, using my pocket calculator and feeling Radioactive from it all.

Here is my favorite track out of many to choose from. Loved the video that accompanied it on the Kraftwerk 3D tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbARvOyyjUI

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
R.I.P Florian.

The influence of him and his fellow bandmates cannot be under-estimated, particularly on the electronic / New Romantic music of my youth.

I echo the comments above - the music is timeless and I still listen to their albums, particularly when I'm doing a bit of work on the computer.

And how ironic that Germany should lose such an eminent keyboard player as Schneider in the same week as we've lost Dave Greenfield of The Stranglers. Two leaders in their field.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Think I heard them on John Peel 1975 and thought WTF is that?

Obviously in tandem with the Tangs it got me interested in and then to a certain extent rather obsessed with Krautrock (Can, Cluster Neu! etc.)

Would it be terribly disrespectful to put up the Bill Bailey Kraftwerk tribute on this thread?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
True pioneer who influenced so many with his brave innovations. My favourite quote/ question to Kraftwerk "why does it take you so long to release work?" "well first of all we need to create the instruments to make the sound we want'

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
What a shit week. Trans Europe Express is a work of art

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
First record I bought, at the age of 10, was a kraftwerk record. Still love their music now all these decades later. RIP Florian.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
****ing hell.

Lucky enough to have seen Kraftwerk at Universe in a field in Bedfordshire. Unlucky enough not to really remember it as I was at Universe :lolol:

This probably goes hand in hand with the sad death of Hamilton Bohannon. Hamilton was the house to Kraftwerk's electro and techno. Brilliant by themselves, of course, I agree with US that Trans Europe Express is genius, but massively, massively, massively influential.

2020 is shaping up to be even worse than 2016 for deaths of truly amazing people. I don't know if it was Covid or not but ***k you Covid and ***k you death.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
RIP Florian. A musical god, he made people happy.

I’ve loved the band since primary school, when a friend brought the Autobahn album into school (his Dad got it on a business trip to Germany). Other than Jarre, I had to wait until the late 70’s when synth music really kicked off. Every band without fail mentioned Kraftwerk as THE influence.

Whilst Ralf, Florian (and various other band members) continued throughout releasing their own completely unique and stunning music. I was lucky enough to see them at the Dome in 81.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here