Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If the Premier League is able to continue...

Where should the remainder of Premier League games be played?

• Home grounds, as originally scheduled

Votes: 133 75.6%
  • Home grounds (I don't think really believe this, but I'm #TeamBarbs)

Votes: 29 16.5%
  • Neutral venues

Votes: 14 8.0%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
(Please note: this is not for debating whether it could/should continue or not, that thread is over here >>> https://www.northstandchat.com/show...-to-finish-season-behind-closed-doors-in-JULY

This thread assumed that it is possible for matches to resume)

...should the games be played home v away, as scheduled, or at neutral venues. Behind Closed Doors is a given.

Presumably the neutral venues is about the cost and risk of moving the TV circus around? or is it some concern about fans gathering at the stadiums?

If the latter, the I would suggest open-season for police with tasers.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Presumably the neutral venues is about the cost and risk of moving the TV circus around? or is it some concern about fans gathering at the stadiums?

If the latter, the I would suggest open-season for police with tasers.

If concentrating all of the remaining games across a small number of neutral venues, what impact is that going to have on the various pitches involved?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Neutral seems the safest. With no crowds, home v away makes very little difference imo.

If neutral means it’s even 1% safer, then it’s got to be that.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
They clearly don't trust supporters not to turn up. But anyone who did would face the wrath of the club and other supporters.

A few police on duty, not many needed. Fines/prosecution on offer. I don't think many would break the rules.

Neutral grounds is a silly idea.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
There should have been an 'In people's imagination' option. Can't vote for any of those. Sorry.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Neutral seems the safest. With no crowds, home v away makes very little difference imo.

If neutral means it’s even 1% safer, then it’s got to be that.

Is neutral 1% safer then? Neutral involves TWO sets of players, coaches and support staff travelling to another part of the country, and staying in hotels, etc, instead of one set.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Is neutral 1% safer then? Neutral involves TWO sets of players, coaches and support staff travelling to another part of the country, and staying in hotels, etc, instead of one set.

It’s ridiculous isn’t it? The cricket equivalent is suggesting players need to be isolated from their families for 9 WEEKS just to play a game of sport. Mental.

Can see many broken contracts, or legal disputes if players of any professional sport are forced against their will to attend and compete.

I just can’t believe a more suitable and palatable compromise can’t be found.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
There are two reasons for neutral grounds. One is to stop fans congregating. The other is that some grounds, particularly older ones, haven't got room for social distancing. (Turf Moor's dressing room was built in 1968, for 11 players, 1 sub, manager, assistant manager, physio. They have filled in the communal bath area, but it isn't big even so. The corridors are narrow too. That's why the Amex will be used, Turf Moor won't.)

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I voted home and away as scheduled, but had the option been for home or away with crowds whenever safe to do I'd have voted for that.

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
There are two reasons for neutral grounds. One is to stop fans congregating. The other is that some grounds, particularly older ones, haven't got room for social distancing. (Turf Moor's dressing room was built in 1968, for 11 players, 1 sub, manager, assistant manager, physio. They have filled in the communal bath area, but it isn't big even so. The corridors are narrow too. That's why the Amex will be used, Turf Moor won't.)

Turfmoor as a neutral venue is a great idea. It would put most fans of going.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

Sounds a fairly poor excuse, tbh. The Nightingale hospitals have been set up in a matter of weeks - surely someone in Burnley can add a few portakabins before mid-June?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Would home fans really congregate en-masse outside a ground which was empty, just because their team were playing inside behind closed doors - and won't be able to see them, or barely hear them, and definitely wouldn't give a toss anyway. Really?

If the answer is yes, I'm afraid my faith in humanity will wane somewhat.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

8 to 10 grounds used and therefore 8 to 10 sets of security, ground staff etc is surely better than 20? I guess it’s all in the logistics of each option.

If it’s not safer, then absolutely I’d support usual grounds.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Neutral venues.

Not perfect, but some grounds, as has been mentioned aren’t suitable for social distancing

The show must go on in my view, but every compromise possible for safety must be made.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here