Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Parish v Barber: FIGHT!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Parish: “I do fear that people are not looking far enough down the road and seeing the consequences of us not playing. The best way for us to resolve that is to resolve it competitively, it is the least worst option.

Next season, in all likelihood, we will start with neutral grounds and I am sure we will want to get back into our own grounds as soon as possible. There will be a distortion of the competition that way round.

All the pitches are pretty much the same size, an empty stadium is an empty stadium. I think it will be a level playing field from when we start.”

Barber: "Clearly, we must all be prepared to accept some compromises, and we fully appreciate why playing behind closed doors is very likely to be a necessary compromise to play our remaining games while continuing to fully support the government's efforts to contain the spread of coronavirus,

But at this critical point in the season playing matches in neutral venues has, in our view, potential to have a material effect on the integrity of the competition."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/crystal-palace-vs-brighton-rivalry-21978196

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Parish would get mullered by Barber in an actual fight, or a war of words. The guy should wind his neck in before Barber writes him an email.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I'd back a rice pudding in a fight against Parish. He'd try to hit it. miss, fall on his arse and the rice pudding would pour itself over his FACE.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd back a rice pudding in a fight against Parish. He'd try to hit it. miss, fall on his arse and the rice pudding would pour itself over his FACE.

So close to "wet paper bag".

But loving the 'rice pudding' (skin) trip down memory lane.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I listened to Paul Barber on Radio5, and he clearly believes that his job is not to agree with anything that disadvantages our Club. Fair enough. He thinks that giving up home advantage midway through a season is wrong, and substantially alters the nature of the competition with 9 games to go. As it happens, I think he is correct. The 3 clubs that will get relegated with forever blame it on the 9 "training" games that determined the final table.

So I'm team Barber on this one. Not on the bottle tops though.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Palace need the season to get going at all costs.... Palace are in a very precarious position, they pay huge wages, their American owners desperately want out... they could be going for a 3rd admin..... Parish is desperate....

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Palace need the season to get going at all costs.... Palace are in a very precarious position, they pay huge wages, their American owners desperately want out... they could be going for a 3rd admin..... Parish is desperate....

Is the correct answer. And it's bloody hilarious.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Besides Barber being absolutely right about neutral venues totally destroying the integrity of the competition, I haven't seen anything about why it is actually essential that neutral venues are used at all.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
What is the thinking behind playing at neutral venues anyway? If there are no spectators why does it matter?

exactly...!! if games are played at the designated venue behind closed doors what is the difference indeed...? travelling time...?? us to newcassel , liverpool and man u to us.......it's all just a load of old bollox....scrap it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Anyone who believes Parish is doing it for the benefit of anyone else bar himself is deluded. He's in financial shite

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im not sure they are speaking to the same issue. the Parish quote seems to be alluding the next season, starting in neutral venues, while Barber is refering to completing this season.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
im not sure they are speaking to the same issue. the Parish quote seems to be alluding the next season, starting in neutral venues, while Barber is refering to completing this season.

No, they very much are, but Parish seems to be approaching it from the direction of "it's neutral grounds or nothing" with regard to finishing this season.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
No, they very much are, but Parish seems to be approaching it from the direction of "it's neutral grounds or nothing" with regard to finishing this season.
Why is Parish against home venues being used ?

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
What is the thinking behind playing at neutral venues anyway? If there are no spectators why does it matter?

My understanding was the hope that supporters wouldn't congregate outside grounds thus reducing any virus transfer risks

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here