Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Contact Tracing App

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
And from a later article;

"During the committee hearing, Gould was also pressed on what will happen to data sets uploaded to the central server once the app has been required (sic). He said such data sets could be used for “research purposes”.

“There is the possibility of being able to use the data subsequently for research purposes,” he said. “We’ve said all along that the data from the app — the app will only be used for controlling the epidemic, for helping the NHS, public health and for research purposes. If we’re going to use data to ask people if we can keep their data for research purposes we will make that abundantly clear and they’ll have the choice on whether to do so.”"

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's an app, right? You can install it for the short term for altruistic reasons for the common good. Then uninstall it as and when you see fit. Or not install it at all. People banging on about privacy issues don't think hmgov and its agencies aren't already monitoring exactly what they want to monitor? Dream on

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
And from a later article;

"During the committee hearing, Gould was also pressed on what will happen to data sets uploaded to the central server once the app has been required (sic). He said such data sets could be used for “research purposes”.

“There is the possibility of being able to use the data subsequently for research purposes,” he said. “We’ve said all along that the data from the app — the app will only be used for controlling the epidemic, for helping the NHS, public health and for research purposes. If we’re going to use data to ask people if we can keep their data for research purposes we will make that abundantly clear and they’ll have the choice on whether to do so.”"

Gould said that data may be legally retained “for research in the public interest”. He confirmed that data subjects would not be able to request that their data is deleted once it is uploaded to the central server, as once it is “enmeshed” with other data it would be a difficult to isolate and delete. While there is no explicit legal guarantee that the data will eventually be fully anonymised or deleted, he said that NHSX has made a commitment to do so.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You're correct. And I'm fine with that.

I'm not fine with a 3rd party piece of software on my mobile device that could link myself to that data and could be used for 'research' in the future.

so third party software in surgeries, hospitals, linking you to data and used in research doesnt concern. put it on your phone and it does. :rolleyes:

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
so third party software in surgeries, hospitals, linking you to data and used in research doesnt concern. put it on your phone and it does. :rolleyes:

Not quite the same as your personal data being used for healthcare. This an app which will track and trace you, include data about you, and you're location.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'll be downloading it as anything that gets us out of this situation faster is worthwhile.

Absolutely this.

I'm dumbfounded that anyone is seriously contemplating not doing it.

Your data will be spread far and wide by all manner of things you, and others have done. This should be the least of your worries, if that sorta thing bothers you.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Like I say - I can't control that. But I can control installing an app on my phone that tracks my movements and reports back to a source- where that data could then by de-anonymised. Harvard reserachers have already cracked this in 2015 on the South Korea.

To be clear - I don't trust a Tory government with this kind of thing especially one with form over Cambridge Analytica and Dominic Cummings fascination with this kind of thing. Especially given the same app developers were involved in the Vote Leave app and look where that went.

It's a terrible idea anyway - what is to stop trolls filling the app full of crap / bad data and then the whole thing falls apart.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I'll download it and use it for sure. Anything to help get us back to normal ASAP.

What concerns me is that there is nothing to prevent some complete tool pretending they are infected (self diagnosing) and then the app starts telling people who may have come into contact with said tool to self isolate when there is no need.

I guess the only way to overcome this would be by testing rather than self diagnosis? Is that part of the plan?

Had wondered about the “bantz” flaw in this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Like I say - I can't control that. But I can control installing an app on my phone that tracks my movements and reports back to a source- where that data could then by de-anonymised. Harvard reserachers have already cracked this in 2015 on the South Korea.

To be clear - I don't trust a Tory government with this kind of thing especially one with form over Cambridge Analytica and Dominic Cummings fascination with this kind of thing. Especially given the same app developers were involved in the Vote Leave app and look where that went.

It's a terrible idea anyway - what is to stop trolls filling the app full of crap / bad data and then the whole thing falls apart.

So you you'd install a good old, solid LABOUR app ?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

As long as you had the GPS turned off on your smart phone, that you use no social media, no location services to any apps, you don’t have any accounts with any major internet companies, Amazon, Google, Apple etc. then you’d have a very good argument for standing against a potential infringement of your privacy. If however you have and use most of these things, then really, I’m not sure you can complain about a government tracing app.

“Siri, what’s the weather in my location and what is my meeting schedule today? Also, delete the tracing app...””Alexa, how long in current traffic will it take me to get to my next meeting?” etc.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
only difference between normal phone apps and the NHS one, is that the NHS one is being up front about keeping and mining the data.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
As long as you had the GPS turned off on your smart phone, that you use no social media, no location services to any apps, you don’t have any accounts with any major internet companies, Amazon, Google, Apple etc. then you’d have a very good argument for standing against a potential infringement of your privacy. If however you have and use most of these things, then really, I’m not sure you can complain about a government tracing app.

“Siri, what’s the weather in my location and what is my meeting schedule today? Also, delete the tracing app...””Alexa, how long in current traffic will it take me to get to my next meeting?” etc.

I've never said anything about standing up against a potential infringement of my privacy. I'm saying the way this App has been built is flawed and the potential impact in the future from using this concerns me.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've never said anything about standing up against a potential infringement of my privacy. I'm saying the way this App has been built is flawed and the potential impact in the future from using this concerns me.

....and that it's a 'terrible idea', and you 'don't trust the Tories with it'.......

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
....and that it's a 'terrible idea', and you 'don't trust the Tories with it'.......

Why do you keep making this political? I've already said given the Vote Leave / Cambridge Analytica antics, Dominic Cummings involvement & the fact they've confirmed there will be no opt-out or request to delete data in the future as well as the flawed 'Centralised model.' It is a no for me.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Why do you keep making this political? I've already said given the Vote Leave / Cambridge Analytica antics, Dominic Cummings involvement & the fact they've confirmed there will be no opt-out or request to delete data in the future as well as the flawed 'Centralised model.' It is a no for me.

You started it :D

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
CV19 Tracing/Tracking App. Will you Download.

Not convinced myself,take up has to be 80% (?)for it to work,before you consider security issues.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here