Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Contact Tracing App

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
No single thing will get us through this

This.

I think a few are seeing it as all or nothing, based purely on a working vaccine. That might well be the thing that administers the final crushing blow to this **** of a virus, but it will be severely weakened - death by a thousand cuts - by that stage, IMO.

• Test, track, trace
  • Social Distancing of varying degrees
  • Some element of herd immunity - even 20-30% would make a difference in slowing any re-emergence of the virus, making it easier to control
  • Improved treatment/drugs to mitigate effect - we are seeing breakthroughs near daily on this now
  • Improved understanding of the virus, how it travels, who it affects
We're in the situation we're in now due to the virus spreading unchecked for 3/4 months. That won't happen again.

Last edited:

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
Frankly I am not sure how Cummings comes into this. I believe that the only data you input into the app first is the 1st part of a postcode. You then report symptoms if you get them so anyone in close contact with your phone with the app is wwarned to isolate. You can then ask to be tested via the app but that is a choice not a rule.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Lifting lockdown too early will provoke a 2nd wave, not refusing to give Cummings our data.

Genuine question - what data is it you are concerned about Dominic Cummings obtaining? The first part of your postcode?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Genuine question - what data is it you are concerned about Dominic Cummings obtaining? The first part of your postcode?
All of it.

I don't trust Cummings. It would have to become law for me to give him anything.

It's the thin end of the wedge.

That'll be my last word, but as I said if things change then I'm open to changing my view.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
All of it.

I don't trust Cummings. It would have to become law for me to give him anything.

It's the thin end of the wedge.

That'll be my last word, but as I said if things change then I'm open to changing my view.

I don't trust him either. But I highly doubt he will be involved with this side of things, and for me the benefits massively outweigh the potential negatives.

But if you disagree, that's all good. :thumbsup:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Of course I will download it.
What the f--k has this got to do with 'trusting Cummings' or the price of fish for that matter!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I was told off on the other thread for expressing reservations, so I will simply say 2 things.

1) I don't trust Johnson and Cummings at all.

2) The producers of the "NHS" app are directly linked to the Vote Leave campaign.

I don't want Cummings' cronys to have any access to my data, so unless things change I won't be downloading the app.

If the app had been produced openly, sandbox tested by trustworthy experts, and by a Cummings independent group then I would use it.

there is a link between Cummings and the contractors doing the work, commissioned and operated by NHSx. if you believe the contrator will access or use the data post development, take it up with the ICO, rather than spread disinformation that "Cummings will have access to your data".

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I don't trust him either. But I highly doubt he will be involved with this side of things, and for me the benefits massively outweigh the potential negatives.

But if you disagree, that's all good. [emoji106]
Sorry, this really is my last word.

The app is produced by a company called Faculty. The links to Cummings' cronys are obvious.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
there is a link between Cummings and the contractors doing the work, commissioned and operated by NHSx. if you believe the contrator will access or use the data post development, take it up with the ICO, rather than spread disinformation that "Cummings will have access to your data".

Ah, told off again for spreading "disinformation".

Everything is verifiable.

And I've no inclination to take anything up with ICO.

Much less effort to just avoid the app.

But I really will not keep responding now.

Enough.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
The app is produced by a company called Faculty. The links to Cummings' cronies are obvious.

TalkativeFrenchCoelacanth-size_restricted.gif

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Seems to be a slight witch hunt going on in this thread. So unlike NSC :D. If someone doesn't want to download the app because they have data privacy concerns then that is their right. Taking the piss out of them because of it ,seems a little playground imho.

Cummings and his relationship to Cambridge Analytica is acknowledged, so if there is a perceived link to Cummings and this new NHS app, then data privacy alarms should be going off.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I won't be using this. The NHS and trusts have poor previous form for dealing with 3rd party tech companies and personal data.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Accepting there are some risks of loss of 'personal data' and potential intrusion, I'll be downloading it as anything that gets us out of this situation faster is worthwhile. Apart from location and anonymised contacts I don't see too much that can go wrong, and if that's proven not to be the case I'll just delete it - sure half of those saying they won't use it are already using loads of apps that are far more intrusive. I'd like to know if I have been close to anyone infected - on the basis that I can then isolate and/or get a test myself, make sure I don't potentially pass it on to anyone more vulnerable etc. If and when we're allowed back to watch a football match maybe the clubs should make use of the app (for min 7 days prior to the game) mandatory for anyone entering the ground.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You are worried about sharing your postcode with them?

The fact they've already said the data will be used after coronavirus for 'research' and there is no opt-out or request for data to be deleted after is enough for me.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The fact they've already said the data will be used after coronavirus for 'research' and there is no opt-out or request for data to be deleted after is enough for me.

there's no opt out of data from your GP, pharmacist or hosptial either.

when people look at the countries that handled this outbreak the best, they are the Asian countries that adopt technology led track and trace. if privacy is more important, fair enough, keep that to yourself too.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
there's no opt out of data from your GP, pharmacist or hosptial either.

You're correct. And I'm fine with that.

I'm not fine with a 3rd party piece of software on my mobile device that could link myself to that data and could be used for 'research' in the future.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here