Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Contact Tracing App

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
So what arere you saying people, should be forced to have a vaccine by law?

I think forced vaccination is extremely undesirable and not practical but by the same respect we do need a percentage of the population to have it to be effective. That said if, for example, Brighton and Hove Albion decide you need to have had the vaccine before entering the ground they are a private company so it is entirely their right to do business with you or not.

It might also impact your ability to travel abroad.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
I would wager that many of those being vociferous about not wanting to download the app are also the type moaning about the government not doing enough...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Exactly.

I'm not a massive fan of throwing my data into a huge pool BUT this is for the 'greater good'. Just like the wars sometimes the bigger picture is more important than me me me

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So what arere you saying people, should be forced to have a vaccine by law?

I'm not, but I don't think the rhetoric of 'it's a personal choice' is very helpful. NHS has the extra burden of having to treat all these diseases that are easily prevented with a vaccine, but they've got to treat them because someone read something in a newspaper and decided not to have one.

We are in some ways able to tax bad choices through consumer law, however there is no way of recovering the burden posed by anti-vaxxers. Bit of a joke taking an anti-vaccine stance then expecting the health service to treat you when you get ill from a disease which should long be forgotten if everyone got vaccinated.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Deciding to receive a vaccine or not is only partially a personal choice. It needs a certain percentage of the population to take it to be effective as not everyone might be able to take it and it might not work for everyone.

The irony being anti-vaccers might very well end up being protected by people who have the vaccine. I suspect some are aware of this and just enjoy a bit of showboating knowing full well the rest of the population will protect them anyway.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I thought it was just me to begin with, but 5 other people I know are also unable to download it today due to our phones being too old or not having the correct software or some such thing. I think I got my current Samsung in 2016, but I can't be sure.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
seems this problem with the app is being mis-reported. is it that some codes are not accepted or that some stream of results arent sending codes? i read it as the latter, the tweet mentions the ONS surveillance pillar specifically.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
seems this problem with the app is being mis-reported. is it that some codes are not accepted or that some stream of results arent sending codes? i read it as the latter, the tweet mentions the ONS surveillance pillar specifically.

Wear a mask? Yes, although the benefits are still not absolutely certain, it is a psychological show of buying into the collective good.
Practice social distancing? Yes, evidence is unequivocal.
Take a vaccine if available? Yes, history of vaccines is positive, only got to look at the eradication of diseases such as polio for proof.
Use the government Covid-19 app? No, Unfortunately the administration's record of dealing with the pandemic, based on nepotism, cronyism and deceit (number of people being tested for example) means that I have no faith or confidence in their machinations, and every time have tried to give them the benefit of the doubt sadly their behaviour has fallen short.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Wear a mask? Yes, although the benefits are still not absolutely certain, it is a psychological show of buying into the collective good.
Take a vaccine if available? Yes, history of vaccines is positive, only got to look at the eradication of diseases such as polio for proof.
Use the government Covid-19 app? No, Unfortunately the administration's record of dealing with the pandemic, based on nepotism, cronyism and deceit (number of people being tested for example) means that I have no faith or confidence in their machinations, and every time have tried to give them the benefit of the doubt sadly their behaviour has fallen short.

Well said that man...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I am absolutely certain any data from it will be spun and lied about before it's made public, because that it what this government do. However, if it does some good by improving the efficiency of the disaster that is the current Track and Trace, then for me, it is worth downloading.

(I can't actually, because my phone is too old, but you get the gist).

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I am absolutely certain any data from it will be spun and lied about before it's made public, because that it what this government do. However, if it does some good by improving the efficiency of the disaster that is the current Track and Trace, then for me, it is worth downloading.

(I can't actually, because my phone is too old, but you get the gist).

Yup, have agonised about it, from both a community as well as a self-interest perspective as someone who is almost 60 and working at a university where we have had many cases to date.

It's not an easy decision to make.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I still don't understand (sorry if it's been covered before) how even though it requires you have up Bluetooth and GPS on it still also requires you to scan a QR code to tell where you've been

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I still don't understand (sorry if it's been covered before) how even though it requires you have up Bluetooth and GPS on it still also requires you to scan a QR code to tell where you've been

GPS isn't that accurate and unless they had a Bluetooth source to pair with that wouldn't know you were in the building.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Anyone received an alert yet? I've just had something pop-up on my phone, didn't have chance to read it properly, but it said something along the lines of "Possible exposure to someone who has tested positive for Covid-19. Exposure level is being calculated".

The alert has now disappeared from my notifications, and there's nothing displaying in the app itself. Doing a bit of Googling it seems that this is a false alarm, and that 'real' alerts are shown prominently within the app along with relevant instructions. Slightly disconcerting either way.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Anyone received an alert yet? I've just had something pop-up on my phone, didn't have chance to read it properly, but it said something along the lines of "Possible exposure to someone who has tested positive for Covid-19. Exposure level is being calculated".

The alert has now disappeared from my notifications, and there's nothing displaying in the app itself. Doing a bit of Googling it seems that this is a false alarm, and that 'real' alerts are shown prominently within the app along with relevant instructions. Slightly disconcerting either way.

My wife has also had the same notification. Looking into it a little bit further it seems as though we have indeed both been near someone who has since tested positive for Covid, but as of yet we've had no order to self-isolate. Whether that's because the exposure we had wasn't substantial enough to warrant such action, or whether we're due a separate message later on today I don't know.

It's not abundantly clear. Frustrating, as I need to go to the shop to get some food shortly but I'm no questioning whether that's a good idea.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I had one last week - and agree unless the alert is actually there in the app then it is indication you were near someone who has, but probably either not close enough or in the same venue at the same time.

Go about your normal business unless you get further instruction

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
The irony being anti-vaccers might very well end up being protected by people who have the vaccine. I suspect some are aware of this and just enjoy a bit of showboating knowing full well the rest of the population will protect them anyway.
That is exactly the case - the problem is that by spreading 'fake news' and the 'hoax' conspiracy theories, they will inadvertently scare some people who would otherwise get the vaccine into not taking it and thereby reducing its effectiveness for everyone. The other problem is that the covid vaccine is likely to be time-limited in its effectiveness and unless there is sufficient uptake the virus could come back with vengeance as the impact of the vaccine wears off.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Got my first alert notification this morning. One saying the risk was being assessed. The next saying I needed to take no further action. I felt rough yesterday (hangover not covid) so stayed in. Only thing I've done today is school run so I can only assume there is 1 irresponsible parent doing the stand around waiting for the gate to open thing

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Got my first alert notification this morning. One saying the risk was being assessed. The next saying I needed to take no further action. I felt rough yesterday (hangover not covid) so stayed in. Only thing I've done today is school run so I can only assume there is 1 irresponsible parent doing the stand around waiting for the gate to open thing

From what I’ve read about it’s effectiveness, it’s more likely a contact you had about a week ago......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here