Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Contact Tracing App

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The world beating track and trace app needs to be rolled out first, so it wont be available this season.

It’s baffling why common sense doesn’t prevail and they buy one off the shelf.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Downloaded the app. Rather oddly, it shows my postcode as being in a medium risk area. It defines medium risk as bordering on an authority which has high or rising levels of virus. Our authority has very low cases as do Brighton, Wealden, Hastings, Lewes etc. I heard on the radio that some people in the same house have varying risk levels highlighted. What a mess.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
[tweet]1303252012532928513[/tweet]

Don't need an app if you can't process the tests.

Now I’m no friend of the government, but it’s not just testing that helps here, if someone with obvious symptoms goes through the checklist of needing a test, then contacts could be informed that there is that risk to them, regardless of a test result. Despite the incompetence of all this, we need to take responsibility for ourselves and the app would help that I think - if enough download it (which I can’t see happening, but that’s another discussion).

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Downloaded the app. Rather oddly, it shows my postcode as being in a medium risk area. It defines medium risk as bordering on an authority which has high or rising levels of virus. Our authority has very low cases as do Brighton, Wealden, Hastings, Lewes etc. I heard on the radio that some people in the same house have varying risk levels highlighted. What a mess.

That doesn't make much sense. Kind of puts me off it

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Anything low could still be rising though, no?

If the best moan you can find is some words written on a website - https://faq.covid19.nhs.uk/article/KA-01101/en-us - that aren't anything to do with the main function of the app, it sounds like it's

That doesn't make much sense. Kind of puts me off it

If you're going to be put off by some words on a. website - https://faq.covid19.nhs.uk/article/KA-01101/en-us - that has nothing to do with the main function of the app, you were very probably looking for an excuse to not install the app anyway.

Welll done on not using the standard "G0vErnMeNT trackInG mE!!1!!11!" which others will be along to trot out soon I imagine.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I am not moaning about it. I'm very much in favour but the app makes no sense in its advice about local virus levels. I've looked at the data believe me.

It also says a medium risk area will be in or bordering an area with special interventions. Not true.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Anything low could still be rising though, no?

If the best moan you can find is some words written on a website - https://faq.covid19.nhs.uk/article/KA-01101/en-us - that aren't anything to do with the main function of the app, it sounds like it's

If you're going to be put off by some words on a. website - https://faq.covid19.nhs.uk/article/KA-01101/en-us - that has nothing to do with the main function of the app, you were very probably looking for an excuse to not install the app anyway.

Welll done on not using the standard "G0vErnMeNT trackInG mE!!1!!11!" which others will be along to trot out soon I imagine.

Not moaning at all. Downloaded it hours ago during another sleepless night. I'm not without concerns about it but for the greater good and all that. Bit disappointed that you assumed I was anti the app though

My concerns though aren't big brother like. More fear of being pushed in to isolating without good reason just because an area is perceived to be medium risk. I'm not sure entirely how it works though or what that medium risk level means in practice

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if app is overreporting risk, people wont install, and the value of it will diminish. tracking apps dont seem to have had good take up across europe as it is.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It also says a medium risk area will be in or bordering an area with special interventions. Not true.

No it doesn't. This is the only description for "medium" in England:

Your local authority, or a neighbouring local authority, has high or rising levels of infection. Please follow national guidance.

You can click the link to the page above, which is what the app renders, to verify.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
if app is overreporting risk, people wont install, and the value of it will diminish. tracking apps dont seem to have had good take up across europe as it is.

The main purpose of the app if to alert people if they have been in close contact with those who are positive. How well it does this, we'll have to wait and see.

One of the small bolt-ons is you can enter your postcode and you get a one word "risk level". It then links to this page: https://faq.covid19.nhs.uk/article/KA-01101/en-us

As I've said above, if this is enough to stop people installing the app then they were very probably looking for an excuse anyway.

Frankly, for a number of reasons, I'm not sure why anywhere in the UK would be below "Medium" anyway right now.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
The 'venue check-in' feature could save a lot of manual track and chasing around

That was the bit that encouraged me to install it. However. It using my Bluetooth is stopping my Bluetooth headphones working. First world problems eh

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Frankly, for a number of reasons, I'm not sure why anywhere in the UK would be below "Medium" anyway right now.

a two tier high/medium risk level gives next to no information. anyone in area under lockdown will know about it, everyone else is medium. Welsh levels make moer sense.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
No it doesn't. This is the only description for "medium" in England:

Your local authority, or a neighbouring local authority, has high or rising levels of infection. Please follow national guidance.

You can click the link to the page above, which is what the app renders, to verify.
I clicked the further info. Unfortunately I scrolled too far down and read the medium risk Welsh guidance.

That in itself is a problem as numpties such as myself will quickly look and get the wrong idea. [emoji2357]

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well done on not using the standard "G0vErnMeNT trackInG mE!!1!!11!" which others will be along to trot out soon I imagine.

It does make me laugh this attitude while simultaneously using Google apps, asking Alexa what the weather is like, and typing into social media platforms from their smart phone how they don't want to be tracked. :lolol:

3_Gc5O.gif

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
It does make me laugh this attitude while simultaneously using Google apps, asking Alexa what the weather is like, and typing into social media platforms from their smart phone how they don't want to be tracked. :lolol:

3_Gc5O.gif

As I said in response to that answer to my post I don't have those concerns so not sure why you've picked up on mine.
I never said I was bothered about being tracked. They would get very bored anyway because currently I rarely leave the flat and I certainly don't tend to go near people. I just want it to be an app that functions as it should.
For the record though. I don't use Google apps, the tracking app is the first I've downloaded. I don't use Alexa and I don't use social media

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here