Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Contact Tracing App

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
On my Samsung smart phone and just go into settings, then Google and it comes up that it's installed. Only found out yesterday and don't know what it means?
It isn't installed.

That is the service that configures the phone settings needed for an app to work.

If you don't specifically have an app installed then the service isn't used.

Think of it like a video display driver needed for a game. The video display might now be ready for the game, but unless the game is actually installed you can't play it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yes, you don't actually have the app until you install it yourself.
Looks like Google have sorted their end out then ay least.... How's the Government roll out going.....

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Seems to me that responsible pubs and restaurants have admirably taken up the slack in hmgov's abysmal failure to provide a credible app. Yesterday myself and 2 friends visited two pubs, The Joker and The King & Queen, before having lunch at Casa Don Carlos in The Lanes. At each, we were invited to provide a name and a contact number. Wouldn't be a step too far to ask pubs and restaurants to upload their lists to a central hmgov database on a daily basis shirley, possibly with a financial incentive. Then the contract tracers could take it from there. Or is that verging on drifting into the realms of common sense?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Seems to me that responsible pubs and restaurants have admirably taken up the slack in hmgov's abysmal failure to provide a credible app. Yesterday myself and 2 friends visited two pubs, The Joker and The King & Queen, before having lunch at Casa Don Carlos in The Lanes. At each, we were invited to provide a name and a contact number. Wouldn't be a step too far to ask pubs and restaurants to upload their lists to a central hmgov database on a daily basis shirley, possibly with a financial incentive. Then the contract tracers could take it from there. Or is that verging on drifting into the realms of common sense?

thats essentially what original NHSx app was intending to do, track where you go, who you were with or near, upload to big database. we're here now, better to stick to low tech keep the records to provide to contact tracers on request.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
thats essentially what original NHSx app was intending to do, track where you go, who you were with or near, upload to big database. we're here now, better to stick to low tech keep the records to provide to contact tracers on request.

Well it doesn't look like we have a lot of choice, seeing as how the UK is seemingly totally incapable of building a simple app :wink:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
cute, we're clearly capable of building an app, politics and petty control freakery got in the way.

we may have even done so, dont know if this builds or functionally complete - https://github.com/nhsx/COVID-19-app-iOS-BETA

You mean like this sort of politics and petty control freakery ?

I think that we are absolutely desperate for a trace & trace system to help us out of this dreadful situation.It has been proven how effective the application in South Korea was in controlling their Covid outbreak and I definitely want one I can download is quick as possible to help.

So desperate that, instead of using one of the existing de-centralised systems, we award a contract to a small company, Faculty, to create a centralised application from scratch (and to add to the other 7 Government contracts that company has been awarded over the last 18 months).

A company that, purely coincidentally, is owned by the brother, Marc Warner, of a Political Advisor to the Government, Ben Walker.

The same Ben Walker who, purely coincidentally, was the one of the first two Political Advisors ever to sit in on a number of SAGE meetings in it's entire history of over 20 years.

Those two would be, purely coincidentally, Ben Walker and Dominic Cummings, who are not allowed to contribute to SAGE as they are not scientists, and not allowed to convey information from SAGE to ministers as they are Political Advisors and it would be against the rules governing political advisors.

That would be, purely coincidentally, the same Dominic Cummings who then decided it was within his remit to invite Marc Walker, owner of Faculty and brother of Ben, to a SAGE meeting.

And now, the Government have decided to start to look at some of the alternative existing de-centralised Track & Trace solutions instead, to overcome some of the issues with a centralised system ? https://www.ft.com/content/d44beb06-5e3e-434f-a3a0-f806ce06576c

Well it's good to know that this has been well thought through and the solution has been very carefully chosen on purely technical and scientific grounds :rolleyes:

I assume you mean that If only someone had spotted this politics and control freakery earlier, we could have had a solution by now.

Last edited:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Looks like the Government will be desperate for people to sign up to the world beating track and trace app when it finally launches.
So to overcome people being cool on signing up due to privacy concerns and not wanting to support anything tha tCummings and his chums are behind, the Government it would seem are making the downloading of the app complusory for football fans to return to grounds if the Albion's enhanced T&Cs are anything to go by.

I wonder whatever leisure activities will be pulled in to make the take up look good.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Looks like the Government will be desperate for people to sign up to the world beating track and trace app when it finally launches.
So to overcome people being cool on signing up due to privacy concerns and not wanting to support anything tha tCummings and his chums are behind, the Government it would seem are making the downloading of the app complusory for football fans to return to grounds if the Albion's enhanced T&Cs are anything to go by.

I wonder whatever leisure activities will be pulled in to make the take up look good.

How would they enforce it? Is it compulsory to carry a phone?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here