Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Keeping Chickens

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Good afternoon kind folk of NSC

We are moving house soon and are exploring the idea of getting some chickens.

Has anyone here got experience of keeping some feathered pals?

A couple of questions-

-what are the best breeds for egg laying
-any tips to avoid fox themed SLAUGHTER
-any tips regarding equipment etc

thanks

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

A couple of questions-

thanks

In my mind, you look a bit like Richard Briers, and (more importantly) your Mrs looks a bit like Felicity Kendall

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
We have garden chickens... 3 Silkie bantams and 2 Light Sussex bantams.

They are not destructive, so free range around the garden. The cats ignore them. There are foxes around, but to date, no sign of them making it into the garden.

They lay mid-sized brown eggs... when they are not broody, we typically get 2 or 3 eggs a day.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

A couple of questions-

thanks

Thumbs up purely for that exquisite turn of phrase.

el punal

I’ve been dying to post this for ages and at last the opportunity has presented itself - my neighbour has an enormous black cock, and rightly so, is very proud of it. Many an admiring glance is cast in his direction tinged with envy.

I will try and get some information regarding this phenomenon and pass it on to you. :D

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
We have garden chickens... 3 Silkie bantams and 2 Light Sussex bantams.

They are not destructive, so free range around the garden. The cats ignore them. There are foxes around, but to date, no sign of them making it into the garden.

They lay mid-sized brown eggs... when they are not broody, we typically get 2 or 3 eggs a day.

Do the bantams never get pissed off with this system you've got in place? A quick Google search throws up:

“Chickens lay one or sometimes more unfertilized or fertilized eggs a day until they have collected a clutch. If you continually collect eggs daily they will continually lay eggs because their goal is to have a clutch.“

:lolol:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I once had some Rhode Island Reds point of lay, very decent layers 1 egg each a day

Good luck finding someone to sell yo some though!

Someone will also be along soon to talk about battery hens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick

A couple of questions-

thanks

Be prepared for an infestation of rats. I work in the pest control industry and I have lost count of the amount of times I have been asked to inspect properties with huge issues with rodents due to the presence of chickens.

Some people keep chickens and never have an issue with rats. However, if rats to discover the chickens then there is enough food to support a large amount of them and their number multiply very quickly.

Just something to think about as it would affect you and your neighbours.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Don't entirely agree with [MENTION=36]Titanic[/MENTION]. Have kept chickens for about 7 years.

Firstly the coop :

> Don't believe the adverts for how many chickens you can keep in one coop. Mine was advertised as an eight hen coop - I wouldn't put more than five in there.
> Dig down about a foot and lay foundations and concrete across it all. Then build the brick work around the edges that the coop will sit on. I foolishly then put earth and grass in. They will kill the grass so just put some earth to allow them to scratch around. The foundations and concrete will stop foxes digging in.
> Add extra locks - foxes are very cunning !
> In hot months regularly clean the coop with red mite treatment. If you get red mites they suck the chickens blood until they die.

Feeding
> Feed them layers every other day. Chickens eat anything that is cooked so on non-layer days feed them cooked kitchen scraps.
> Put crushed oyster shells in their food once a week to keep the shells of the eggs they lay hard.
> Always make sure they have plenty of water - they drink constantly.

General
> They will wreck parts of your garden.
> Try and provide them with a dust bowl area of the garden and show them it. They use it to clean their feathers.
> Depending where you are always make sure you are in the garden when you let them run around. We've lost one chicken and had another attacked in the middle of the day by a fox.
> Pee around the coop to deter foxes.
> For breeds I can't comment. We've always got rescue hens - ex-battery are particularly satisfying as when you get them they are bald and scared. Once they get to know you they are very loving and get back to full health quickly. People that but battery produced eggs need a good punch in the face.
> Sounds strange but make sure you hug them a lot. They really do have their own personalities and are very funny and loving creatures.
> Equipment wise make sure you have two water towers and two feeders - you'll forever be cleaning one set as they are dirty buggers.
> Cats tend to say well clear.
> Chickens form gangs and protect each other. Mine nearly killed a seagull before I rescued it.
> The eggs are very fresh - one's in supermarkets are on average around 4 weeks old. This means they cook differently to shop brought eggs. I'm yet to master cooking a boiled egg from them that I can actually peel without the egg sticking to the shell.
> When broody or moulting then expect no eggs.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Chickens - forget expensive breeds - go for rehoming battery hens. Splendid layers. Had some myself and can thoroughly recommend them.
https://www.bhwt.org.uk/rehome-hens/
Decide where in the garden you want to put your hens, put wire netting beneath the ground, and don't look to move the chickens around to different locations - they are destructive little beggars, so it's best to leave just one part of the garden looking a bit like the Somme!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Be prepared for an infestation of rats. I work in the pest control industry and I have lost count of the amount of times I have been asked to inspect properties with huge issues with rodents due to the presence of chickens.

Some people keep chickens and never have an issue with rats. However, if rats to discover the chickens then there is enough food to support a large amount of them and their number multiply very quickly.

My cats deal with that problem !

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

This.

I know a bloke in the same game as you, he always says a surefire way to get rats is to have chickens or horses. With some unpleasant side stories told.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
[MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION]

Great post. If I could emphasise anything, it's the fox proofing.

Hens are lovely, funny, interesting animals who will soon get to know you. A bag of grass trimmings or a big weed complete with roots will keep them amused for hours.....they just love to dig.

Didn't fox proof mine quite enough and the basturd thing got in and killed all 3 of mine. It was absolutely devastating and I still miss them.

Good luck and enjoy.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Don't entirely agree with [MENTION=36]Titanic[/MENTION]. Have kept chickens for about 7 years.

Firstly the coop :

> Don't believe the adverts for how many chickens you can keep in one coop. Mine was advertised as an eight hen coop - I wouldn't put more than five in there.
> Dig down about a foot and lay foundations and concrete across it all. Then build the brick work around the edges that the coop will sit on. I foolishly then put earth and grass in. They will kill the grass so just put some earth to allow them to scratch around. The foundations and concrete will stop foxes digging in.
> Add extra locks - foxes are very cunning !
> In hot months regularly clean the coop with red mite treatment. If you get red mites they suck the chickens blood until they die.

Feeding
> Feed them layers every other day. Chickens eat anything that is cooked so on non-layer days feed them cooked kitchen scraps.
> Put crushed oyster shells in their food once a week to keep the shells of the eggs they lay hard.
> Always make sure they have plenty of water - they drink constantly.

General
> They will wreck parts of your garden.
> Try and provide them with a dust bowl area of the garden and show them it. They use it to clean their feathers.
> Depending where you are always make sure you are in the garden when you let them run around. We've lost one chicken and had another attacked in the middle of the day by a fox.
> Pee around the coop to deter foxes.
> For breeds I can't comment. We've always got rescue hens - ex-battery are particularly satisfying as when you get them they are bald and scared. Once they get to know you they are very loving and get back to full health quickly. People that but battery produced eggs need a good punch in the face.
> Sounds strange but make sure you hug them a lot. They really do have their own personalities and are very funny and loving creatures.
> Equipment wise make sure you have two water towers and two feeders - you'll forever be cleaning one set as they are dirty buggers.
> Cats tend to say well clear.
> Chickens form gangs and protect each other. Mine nearly killed a seagull before I rescued it.
> The eggs are very fresh - one's in supermarkets are on average around 4 weeks old. This means they cook differently to shop brought eggs. I'm yet to master cooking a boiled egg from them that I can actually peel without the egg sticking to the shell.
> When broody or moulting then expect no eggs.

I had a customer who kept chickens ...he used to make me clip the wings, clear the shit out of the hut and chase them round the garden if they escaped :moo:

Eggs were the best ive eaten

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
No rats in 7 years, just some mice, what The trap didn't get the chickens caught and in one instance ate. Foxes & Cats see off the rest and the dog sees off the foxes.

Omlet eglu

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here