Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] How much are you missing football?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
With all the discussion about how, when and where football might resume to complete this season, it suddenly struck me, quite surprisingly, that I am not actually missing it in the slightest.

Although yes, I am looking forward to going to games again, and I couldn't even contemplate never going again, there is no major gap in my life without it right now.

Putting aside the obvious bigger picture of what is going on right now, is anyone else not really missing their weekly fix?

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I'm not missing it at all. To be fair, I don't miss it through the summer months anyway. Once this is all over, I will enjoy going back to it.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
Any real misty eyed nostalgia for the great game pails into insignificance compared to my disappointment in the general failure of large parts of the football fraternity to understand their part in the grand scheme of things.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Not missing it as such, but on the other hand I am looking forward to the next beery Amex game, whenever that may be.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm missing simple pleasures with my friends, and football is part of that. Going to a pub, a gig, out for a meal, off to the football and then coming home and there's maybe boxing on or you've won well and want to relive it on MOTD. All of that to me is LIFE and I miss it most days to varying degrees.

That said, I'm adopting to lockdown better the longer it goes on. It helps that I've got my health back but a simple life of get up, run, work, play with kids, eat, bed, repeat really isn't too bad. But the two weeks of total isolation and non stop coughing were an absolute ***t. I'd rather have been watching us lose heavily to them up the road, I reckon.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I'm missing not being able to play more than not being able to watch. I'm trying to stay fit for when we resume playing again, by cycling and running. Missing the banter of like-minded lovely people who take a kick-about for what it is. The Watsapp group has produced some cracking laughs though.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I am not missing it as much as I thought. I feel a little annoyed with some footballing issues such as the players of all clubs should have reduced their huge wages . How many hospital nurses are worth one premier footballer springs to mind ? Also the likes of Newcastle and Bournemouth are getting an unfair advantage as supposedly they will have more spending power in the future. That said, see you in about a year!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Missing the Matchday Experience of beers and catch-up with mates. The football always did come a poor second TBH

Same for me. I'm missing the social side of it more than the actual football.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As someone who treated home games as a massive day out (160 mile drive through the sacred lands of Kent and Sussex) and something to be cherished and never taken for granted (after all those shitty years, Priestfield and Withdean), and as someone who would watch any football on the tellybox, normally at least one game a day, and as someone who otherwise has radio 5 on constantly for commentary and analysis, I feel like William S Burroughs might have felt if someone had locked his heroin in a safe and thrown the key into the East River.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Missing the day, the meeting up with mates, the pre match fry up, the sesh before the game, the post match debrief, the evening ruby and generally talking Bollox all day.
Football is nothing without friends to share the joy of the day with, if the season is played out behind closed doors that might be it for Me.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I'm missing not being able to play more than not being able to watch. I'm trying to stay fit for when we resume playing again, by cycling and running. Missing the banter of like-minded lovely people who take a kick-about for what it is. The Watsapp group has produced some cracking laughs though.

I miss the Saturday morning group, but I couldn’t cope with reading it when I couldn’t play anymore :(

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I have other vices that I’m missing more, which has surprised me. As others have said, I think it’s the social side I’m missing more than anything.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Not as much as i thought, and in my opinion the season should be cancelled or just eneded now where it is. It'll feel weird now starting again with a handfull of games.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I’m missing ALL sport!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, on this very day, two years ago I spent a marvellous afternoon at the County Ground, a few Middlesex chums from work came down for a good skin full, fish and chip supper in Bankers and off to the AMEX to see a memorable victory over Man Utd, Ruby to finish the evening off.
Simple pleasures in life..

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

With all the caveats of the "bigger picture" that is the world's reality right now, I am missing it a huge amount, but not necessarily in the way that I expected. I miss going to games; the whole routine that comes with it and the huge outlets of emotions etc. that I really only get to express in that context!
However, we have "close seasons" every year, so I can cope with that, it is the sheer volume of football that I consume through other mediums that I really miss - reading, watching, commenting, playing on a Thursday night, coaching kids etc etc. far more of my normal daily/weekly routine was taken up by it than I realised. Its a bigger void of course because the close season I mention above is normally filled with Golf, cricket, football/transfer gossip..

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here