Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who Are The Infected?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Now that we have testing numbers up to a significant level, I think this becomes a really important question.

Up until now I think many people have been quite dismissive of the numbers of people testing positive. As a trend measure it isn't particularly helpful, given how few people were previously tested. However if after lock down we have 4000 people infected, we need to have a picture of who these people are and how they came to be infected. I am not proposing plague markers on front doors, just some basic anonymised information on geography, employment, contact, age, sex, pre-existing health conditions.

We need to see a picture emerge that will either confirm or dispel some of the anecdotal stories such as;

Young children can not catch/spread the virus?
Asthmatics need to be highly protected (do hospital admissions support this?)
Smokers are/are not more likely to be admitted to hospital with infection?
You can catch the virus from sitting on a toilet seat ?(sorry to be flippant, but how important is 2m distancing outside, what works/doesn't work indoors)
Do otherwise healthy over 70s really need to isolate?
Is it mainly fat old blokes admitted into hospital?

Debate away, but please also add evidence from here or elsewhere in the world, which can inform the discussion. If it descends into another who wants to end isolation more/accusations of people enjoying being furloughed thread - mods please merge it.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
It's a valid point and the lowere the infection rate the easier it will become for contact tracing and testing as an additional.control method which will start to give a far better picture of how widespread this is and make the whole easing of social distancing a lot easier. I'm feeling fairly optimistic currently though still having moments of concern.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I read a couple of days ago in an article (no link, alas) that actually just one metre is considered sufficient. Perhaps they suggested two metres to make doubly sure, if that’s the case.

One of the Swedish epidemiologists said that by far the best way to halt the disease is to wash your hands with soap for twenty seconds before you put your hands on food or near your face. He also said that the other social distancing measures aren’t based on science. Make of that what you will...

Getting back to the original questions. As 95% plus of those mortalities over seventy have other serious conditions, then I think the answer to whether fit and healthy over-Seventies need to fully isolate when the lockdown is eased is No (with the usual caveat that some luckless individuals seem to be prone to this virus despite having none of the usual warning signs). Although I’m sure advice will be formally issued this week on exactly that.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I read a couple of days ago in an article (no link, alas) that actually just one metre is considered sufficient. Perhaps they suggested two metres to make doubly sure, if that’s the case.
i.

I work on a train companies management team and we have been told the actual safe distance is one metre but two was Implemented for the reason you state.

Weve been told highly likely to be carrying more passengers from the 18th (possibly the 7th!). To do this a reduction in the safe distance would probably need to occur.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
This is the sort of study we need a lot more of right now. There are some really interesting patterns highlighted here. If we can get a whole load more of these types of rigorous studies, a real pattern will start to emerge as to who gets infected and how. The infection rates within households really surprised me, I thought the rates would be much higher. Other highlights were 20% asymptomatic and infection rates 10 times higher than reported.

https://www.uni-bonn.de/news/111-2020

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Now that we have testing numbers up to a significant level, I think this becomes a really important question.

Up until now I think many people have been quite dismissive of the numbers of people testing positive. As a trend measure it isn't particularly helpful, given how few people were previously tested. However if after lock down we have 4000 people infected, we need to have a picture of who these people are and how they came to be infected. I am not proposing plague markers on front doors, just some basic anonymised information on geography, employment, contact, age, sex, pre-existing health conditions.

We need to see a picture emerge that will either confirm or dispel some of the anecdotal stories such as;

You can catch the virus from sitting on a toilet seat ?(sorry to be flippant, but how important is 2m distancing outside, what works/doesn't work indoors)

Debate away, but please also add evidence from here or elsewhere in the world, which can inform the discussion. If it descends into another who wants to end isolation more/accusations of people enjoying being furloughed thread - mods please merge it.

Very good question and the answer is that I don't know. Nobody knows, since we don't have systematically acquired, coherently analysed data. Not systematically acquired being the big problem.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

The deaths data has some of that broken down - inc. age, region, gender (link below) - but agree a lot more detail and by infection rather than death would be interesting. The incidence of BAME individuals impacted is an additional area of interest as seems disproportionately serious.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...ing17april2020#deaths-registered-by-age-group

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is the sort of study we need a lot more of right now. There are some really interesting patterns highlighted here. If we can get a whole load more of these types of rigorous studies, a real pattern will start to emerge as to who gets infected and how. The infection rates within households really surprised me, I thought the rates would be much higher. Other highlights were 20% asymptomatic and infection rates 10 times higher than reported.

https://www.uni-bonn.de/news/111-2020

The study reports that 20% of those infected are asymptomatic. That's stunning. Well, given that this is a random sample of a population (a good thing from a design and reliability perspective), that number does not fit with the narrative that the vast majority of those who have been infected in the UK are (or were) asymptomatic.

Also, if you remember the early quotes that in the UK 40 million people need to have the disease for herd immunity to be reached (this is a reliable estimate based on several decades' worth of viral epidemiology), with only 20% of cases asymptomatic this means we need to have 32 million symptomatic sick people in the UK to obtain herd immunity (80% of the 40 million, with the other 8 million = 20% asymptomatic). Or we need to immunize way more than 40 million with a vaccine (if we can make one that works).

If people who think the UK hospital death data accurately reflects the national trend (a steady fall in deaths) which it may (I'm not sure, but it may) this means we need to understand the reason. It can't be herd immunity. It isn't vaccination. Could it be social distancing? If it is we will need to social distance till the 40 million is reached....could be decades. If not social distancing then.....this must be a seasonal virus after all. That's my big hope.

Apologies for the inevitable flaws in my reasoning.

I still assume that most testing positive have to be front line workers probably care workers and NHS. They are tested many times over for obvious reasons some I would guess even daily when working on a covid ward and a small minority just general key workers ie supermarket delivery drivers maybe?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The study reports that 20% of those infected are asymptomatic. That's stunning. Well, given that this is a random sample of a population (a good thing from a design and reliability perspective), that number does not fit with the narrative that the vast majority of those who have been infected in the UK are (or were) asymptomatic.

Also, if you remember the early quotes that in the UK 40 million people need to have the disease for herd immunity to be reached (this is a reliable estimate based on several decades' worth of viral epidemiology), with only 20% of cases asymptomatic this means we need to have 32 million symptomatic sick people in the UK to obtain herd immunity (80% of the 40 million, with the other 8 million = 20% asymptomatic). Or we need to immunize way more than 40 million with a vaccine (if we can make one that works).

If people who think the UK hospital death data accurately reflects the national trend (a steady fall in deaths) which it may (I'm not sure, but it may) this means we need to understand the reason. It can't be herd immunity. It isn't vaccination. Could it be social distancing? If it is we will need to social distance till the 40 million is reached....could be decades. If not social distancing then.....this must be a seasonal virus after all. That's my big hope.

Apology accepted :lolol:

No, seriously. we wouldn't need to vaccinate 40 MILLION people would we? We'd need to identify the most at risk people who hadn't already had it, keep R less than one and contact / trace anyone who tests positive. That's a lot less bleak.

For example, the BCG I had (and I suspect you may have) that was so much fun to punch / have punched is no longer given. That doesn't mean 40 million people in the UK have had TB.

Or is it my logic that's flawed? :moo:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I interpreted that a bit differently (I may be wrong) - the 20% asymptomatic must have had it at the time they were tested - it doesn't cover those that might have already had it without realising ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

No, seriously. we wouldn't need to vaccinate 40 MILLION people would we? We'd need to identify the most at risk people who hadn't already had it, keep R less than one and contact / trace anyone who tests positive. That's a lot less bleak.

For example, the BCG I had (and I suspect you may have) that was so much fun to punch / have punched is no longer given. That doesn't mean 40 million people in the UK have had TB.

Yes, I think that's false. The quotes about Covid are that 40 million people need to be immune for there to be herd immunity. That means vaccinated and/or previously infected (assuming the latter makes you immune).

TB can be dealt with differently. It is a bacterium. It spreads differently. BCG is the most widely used vaccine worldwide, with more than 90% of all children being vaccinated. 95% of people who get TB are asymptomatic.

It's ......different. :cheers:

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria

Although the BBC News (and others) recently delighted in reporting that sneeze and cough particles might travel much further than two metres.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

It could just mean that the vaccine worked and that there was no transmission, ergo disease died on its arse.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I interpreted that a bit differently (I may be wrong) - the 20% asymptomatic must have had it at the time they were tested - it doesn't cover those that might have already had it without realising ?

OK, good point. It says "“Apparently one in five infections occurs without noticeable symptoms suggests that infected persons who secrete virus and can infect others cannot be reliably identified on the basis of recognizable symptoms of the disease,". However, what it doesn't say is how many of those found to be infected, as defined by the test, went on to develop the disease after they had been tested.

Let's imagine it is none. This means that my stark assessment is correct. Let's imagine it is all of them./ This means that everyone tested positve either has had or is just about to get sick. That's even worse than I thought.

Digging deeper, they did two tests over several weeks: "“By combining PCR and ELSIA tests we are able to detect acute as well as elapsed infections,” says Prof. Hartmann. Preliminary studies showed that the ELISA test is false positive in about one percent of the cases. “However, with such high frequency of infections in Gangelt, a one percent false positive rate is not critical". By this I suspect that the 20% are people who tested positive and some weeks later still hadn't expressed symptoms.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
OK, good point. It says "“Apparently one in five infections occurs without noticeable symptoms suggests that infected persons who secrete virus and can infect others cannot be reliably identified on the basis of recognizable symptoms of the disease,". However, what it doesn't say is how many of those found to be infected, as defined by the test, went on to develop the disease after they had been tested.

Let's imagine it is none. This means that my stark assessment is correct. Let's imagine it is all of them./ This means that everyone tested positve either has had or is just about to get sick. That's even worse than I thought.

Digging deeper, they did two tests over several weeks: "“By combining PCR and ELSIA tests we are able to detect acute as well as elapsed infections,” says Prof. Hartmann. Preliminary studies showed that the ELISA test is false positive in about one percent of the cases. “However, with such high frequency of infections in Gangelt, a one percent false positive rate is not critical". By this I suspect that the 20% are people who tested positive and some weeks later still hadn't expressed symptoms.

There is another way of looking at the same problem, which is to take the extrapolated mortality rate, which was 0.37%. If you were to apply that to a population of 80 million that is the equivalent of 296,000 deaths. That doesn't tell the whole story, I am imaging an infection model, much like bumper cars.

If you have 3 cars out and in the first head on collision the fat bloke smashes the skinny teenager due to weight advantage, you can imagine a scenario where the other two cars are happy to bump, but spend all their time dodging the fat bloke.

If you add more cars, you will get more collisions and spotting the fat bloke coming will be harder. This holds up to the point when there are too many cars on the rink (is that what you call these things?) at which point everything grinds to a halt because no one can move.

Now imagine somehow the ride owners can magically increase the size of the rink, to whatever size they want. All of a sudden it becomes very difficult to predict the number of collisions.

This study was great, in that it was sparked by a specific event (carnival) and then contained by isolation. This might explain why only 15% got infected. How whole households weren't infected is much harder to understand and or explain.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There is another way of looking at the same problem, which is to take the extrapolated mortality rate, which was 0.37%. If you were to apply that to a population of 80 million that is the equivalent of 296,000 deaths. That doesn't tell the whole story, I am imaging an infection model, much like bumper cars.

If you have 3 cars out and in the first head on collision the fat bloke smashes the skinny teenager due to weight advantage, you can imagine a scenario where the other two cars are happy to bump, but spend all their time dodging the fat bloke.

If you add more cars, you will get more collisions and spotting the fat bloke coming will be harder. This holds up to the point when there are too many cars on the rink (is that what you call these things?) at which point everything grinds to a halt because no one can move.

Now imagine somehow the ride owners can magically increase the size of the rink, to whatever size they want. All of a sudden it becomes very difficult to predict the number of collisions.

This study was great, in that it was sparked by a specific event (carnival) and then contained by isolation. This might explain why only 15% got infected. How whole households weren't infected is much harder to understand and or explain.

Nail. Head.

At every turn, with every bit of new data and every study there are questions that are hard to answer. It concerns me that so often when a few bits of data point to a testable prediction it turns out the pridiction isn't correct. I'm glad I don't work in epidemiology. If I did, you would know me by the trail of the dead. (That is almost an actual name of a band but I'll refrain from posting a youtube clip....for now, anyway :lolol: :thumbsup:)

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Nail. Head.

At every turn, with every bit of new data and every study there are questions that are hard to answer. It concerns me that so often when a few bits of data point to a testable prediction it turns out the pridiction isn't correct. I'm glad I don't work in epidemiology. If I did, you would know me by the trail of the dead. (That is almost an actual name of a band but I'll refrain from posting a youtube clip....for now, anyway :lolol: :thumbsup:)

As well as trying to dodge the infection, I am also trying to stay away from the absolutists on here, who can only deal in certainties. The correct answer to you are wrong, is yes and so is everyone else. The best outcome is to be the least wrong you possibly could and accept that you will never be able to prove it to the satisfaction of anyone else.

It is mind boggling to think that this crazy unpredictable virus of Chinese origin, will somehow be constrained by the ultimate piece of European bureaucracy that is the metric system. We just have to agree if it is a 1 metre or 2 metre distance beyond which the virus is unable to travel.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As well as trying to dodge the infection, I am also trying to stay away from the absolutists on here, who can only deal in certainties. The correct answer to you are wrong, is yes and so is everyone else. The best outcome is to be the least wrong you possibly could and accept that you will never be able to prove it to the satisfaction of anyone else.

It is mind boggling to think that this crazy unpredictable virus of Chinese origin, will somehow be constrained by the ultimate piece of European bureaucracy that is the metric system. We just have to agree if it is a 1 metre or 2 metre distance beyond which the virus is unable to travel.

:lolol: :bowdown:

I tell you what, if the wheel committee of 4000 BC had the likes of some of the pedants on here among its number we'd still be arguing with the lad who swears blind that because the square thing did manage to make it all the way down the hill (when thrown from a great height) that square must be how wheels should look.

ps - I'd keep it to ten feet. And as I posted some weeks ago, if you can punch someone hard in the face, they are deffo standing to close. Stay safe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here