Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 23 years ago today - survival at hereford

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
If anyone is unsure of the magnitude of that day, they only need to look at the fortunes of the two clubs since. Brighton are in the Premier league with a turnover of nearly £150M per season. Hereford went bust and have since reformed and currently sit 15th in National League North.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Quite simply the “purest” day of football support in my life. The total unity of everybody present, the absolute, unconfined joy when the equaliser went in and the utter relief at the final whistle. It will never be better than that afternoon.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Gives me a migraine just thinking about it. Horrible day, great result.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Good old Vic

46801F74-FCCE-4EB4-9776-F2871ACF1FC9.jpeg

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Take a look at Football Cities who have featured this momentous day on their Facebook page. Already been seen by thousands around the world via post shares.

To see same go to www.footballcities.co.uk and click the Facebook link.

Still remember the great day out the group of eight of us had.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Quite simply the “purest” day of football support in my life. The total unity of everybody present, the absolute, unconfined joy when the equaliser went in and the utter relief at the final whistle. It will never be better than that afternoon.

This! Nerves at half time were so bad I actually felt queasy. We stared into the abyss that day but Robbie's goal brought us back. Always remember when their bloke was one on one with Ormerod and he tamely knocked it into his hands when it just needed a little dink. :eek:

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Whatever happened to Barnet Seagull? Simster do you know since we used to share pops at
each other (in a joking way of course).

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
If anyone is unsure of the magnitude of that day, they only need to look at the fortunes of the two clubs since. Brighton are in the Premier league with a turnover of nearly £150M per season. Hereford went bust and have since reformed and currently sit 15th in National League North.

This was an amazing day - I remember being more nervous over this game than any I had and have been to in supporting the Albion in over 50 years.

If the roles had been reversed though and we had gone down I would still have supported the club whatever division we were in. Even being in the Premier league now and basking in our lovely (relatively new facilities) I still perversely really enjoyed the experience of being the underdog in those days.

Granted the last year or two at the Goldstone were pretty horrendous with a really toxic atmosphere, together with the two seasons in Kent (that seemed like a nightmare with all the driving I did to get to every game) but when we came back to Sussex and however ramshackle our facilities were at the Withdean - they were some of the most memorable seasons in recent times.

That night after the Hereford game we drove the short distance to Cheltenham where we had booked a hotel for the night and had the biggest drinking session I can ever remember, so much so we had to stay another night and travel back to Sussex on the Monday!

bobbab5

Sep 5, 2003
Ely, Cambs.
Anyone know who the knob was that got Reinelt's boots at the end? He spent ALL bloody game sitting on a fence/wall getting in the way.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have NEVER felt such elation as an Albion fan, as I did on the final whistle. As an experience there have been so many Albion games that have surpassed it but I doubt I’ll ever feel relief like that again

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011
Amazing day which set us up for the crazy adventure of the following 20 plus years. Trying to regain league position whilst playing at Gillingham would have been mighty tough.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Must have been a fantastic day for you. Without a stadium and without a spot in the Football League, would the club even exist today?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here