Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] The end of Notes and Coins?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Having been reading the 'what do you splosh your dosh on' thread I have been thinking about the last time someone took any notes and coins from me.

I took out £100 from a Cash point a couple of weeks ago and still have almost all of it in my wallet as every place I go to buy stuff wants me to use a contactless card.

Is this the end for physical money and was Paul Barber ahead of the curve a few months back? ???

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I very rarely used cash before lockdown anyway.... Cashless is the way forward!

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
It's a giant leap toward it if nothing else.

Unbelievably the only place open currently I know that will still only accept cash as payment is............my GP surgery.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Having been reading the 'what do you splosh your dosh on' thread I have been thinking about the last time someone took any notes and coins from me.

I took out £100 from a Cash point a couple of weeks ago and still have almost all of it in my wallet as every place I go to buy stuff wants me to use a contactless card.

Is this the end for physical money and was Paul Barber ahead of the curve a few months back? ???

I think a lot of organisations and businesses have been working towards this for some time - and I think the youngsters are quite keen on it too. My lot, for instance, use their cards to buy a drink in the pub and use their mobile to pay on the bus!

IMHO, I'd give cash as currency about ten years - 15 tops.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
I'm sure many tradesmen spent their 'cash jobs' on beers etc at footie, but even that avenue is disappearing.. it will cost those who like to pay cash (and lose the vat) that bit more to get that light changed or loo repaired now..

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The U.K. is well set up for cashless, Germany less so. When I’m in the U.K. I have some notes as an emergency for taxis, but that’s it. At all other times I use my card.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I got a bullseye out of the cash point in readiness for the Arsenal game.... it’s still in my wallet now, I’ve never gone so long without spending cash..

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Its a likely and of course very dangerous development. Once the opportunity to take out all your money in cash is gone, the banks could put minus interest on your savings account, forcing you to either spend or lose money rather than saving.

As for Germany lots of the population dont trust the financial power (like me, which is unfortunate since we are VERY far gone in turning cashless), so they are very reluctant to be tricked into the cashless road.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Can't think of any advantages of cash and coins to be honest.

I first made the full time switch years back for two reasons:

- to improve my credit rating
- loyalty points on rewards credit cards

but now I stick with cards for the convenience, but also like a record of my spending, in addition to essentially the extra insurance of purchases.

Can't think of ANY advantages to cash anymore. Dirty, risky, pointless and not financially the best option for anything.

Can't be traced if you are doing something dodgy? Not that I can do that as I'm VAT Registered etc and have only had one Client in 12 years of self employment ever pay me in cash - he went to the wall a few months later owing me even more money but we will pass over that private grief...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I love cash, and will continue to use it for as long as possible.

It even works in power cuts, or when the mobile phone dies.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The IEA calculated the value of the UK "shadow economy" as £150bn (20% of GDP) in 2013. That will have increased, a lot.

Yeah there's crypto etc but a huge amount of that is still cash and will continue to be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here