Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Amex - preferred neutral venue

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Adrian Bevington on BBC Breakfast saying that the Amex is being (strongly) lined up as a neutral venue for Project Restart if it happens. Four stadia in sparsely populated area the main criteria. Discuss.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
As stated on the other PL thread I am not that sure anyone is bothered about any football behind closed doors

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I’m not either - it was just interesting to hear Bevington immediately mention the Albion. Amex, where football stopped, and could be where a bastardised version restarts.

SAC

May 21, 2014
If football is to be played at neutral venues then the Amex makes sense as it would be fairly easy to ensure that people didn't attend.

Good revenue for the club or perhaps could be put towards funding Albion in the Community. Not so good for the pitch though if a lot of matches are played in a row.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The opportunity to watch (on telly) other clubs drag the Albion into relegation, playing in our stadium.

It's a 'no' from me.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Does this include matches to be played by Championship, League 1 and League 2 clubs?

Do you really think the Premier League cares a jot about other leagues ?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Adrian Bevington on BBC Breakfast saying that the Amex is being (strongly) lined up as a neutral venue for Project Restart if it happens. Four stadia in sparsely populated area the main criteria. Discuss.

Yet of course we can’t play there, you bet your bottom dollar all the cockney teams will play here, where they can hear a southern voice and maybe travel 60 miles to play here staying in roughly the same area. As for the Albion, we will be sent at best to some shite midlands ground like Leicester where everything is different from accents to things you can relate too....

Playing at neutral grounds is not fair to smaller clubs who are struggling and need that 12th man occasionally to lift the team. If the EPL go through with this, risking players, back room staff, ground staffs health. I could very well be done myself with EPL, says a great deal that so far the football league haven’t come up with this and that there is talk of the FA Cup being abandoned, I wonder why prize money available perhaps.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As I have said before, I think this whole situation is inappropriate and totally lacking in self-awareness. Further, the league stated earlier in the crisis that upholding the integrity of the competition is paramount...they used this line to argue why the league needed to be completed. They have now seemingly forgotten this with the recent proposal in their increasingly desperate quest to finish the league.

And following up on [MENTION=38]Beach Hut[/MENTION]’s post...I know many people in football and not one is overly bothered about finishing the league.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Makes sense on many levels: easy to police, extensive coronavirus testing facilities on-site, modern plug n play broadcast capability (assuming games get broadcast, that is)

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Do you really think the Premier League cares a jot about other leagues ?

Obviously not. But this is one of my main gripes. Nobody seems to be talking about how the other 3 professional leagues will or won't be completed as if it doesn't matter. It wasn't so long ago we were one of these clubs. It makes me sick that the only thing seemingly of importance to the footballing powers at be is the Premier league.

Arguably some smaller clubs could go out of business at the end of this crisis but one suspects even if we lost football for a season somehow the Premier clubs would survive. Survival of the fattest?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
FFS, have they forgotten that Falmer is absolutely riddled with BATS?

The fact that vast colonies of bats live exactly where the stadium is was the major stumbling block during the planning process. Remember: we nearly didn't get a stadium because it's a global epicentre for BATS.

And now they want to play football there, in the middle of a global pandemic caused by... BATS.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
FFS, have they forgotten that Falmer is absolutely riddled with BATS?

The fact that vast colonies of bats live exactly where the stadium is was the major stumbling block during the planning process. Remember: we nearly didn't get a stadium because it's a global epicentre for BATS.

And now they want to play football there, in the middle of a global pandemic caused by... BATS.

With the predicted rate of BAT-VEHICLE COLLISIONS, I think we are pretty safe to assume they are all dead by now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As I have said before, I think this whole situation is inappropriate and totally lacking in self-awareness. Further, the league stated earlier in the crisis that upholding the integrity of the competition is paramount...they used this line to argue why the league needed to be completed. They have now seemingly forgotten this with the recent proposal in their increasingly desperate quest to finish the league.

And following up on [MENTION=38]Beach Hut[/MENTION]’s post...I know many people in football and not one is overly bothered about finishing the league.
I'm bothered about them finishing the league, just not bothered when.
Then again it's not my hundreds not millions at stake.

Finish when you can, the reset the future plans accordingly.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

The choice should be down to the players, I'm sure they would end it

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
From a practical perspective it makes absolute sense, it's an easy "in and out" next to a major road and involves minimal interaction with the outside community being outside a built-up urban area. But as said above I'm not sure the idea of watching Villa win a game which relegates us when they're at the Amex and not playing us doesn't sit comfortably.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Makes sense on many levels: easy to police, extensive coronavirus testing facilities on-site, modern plug n play broadcast capability (assuming games get broadcast, that is)

Blimey we cant have a post that doesnt include a rant on this thread....could you edit it please

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
From a practical perspective it makes absolute sense, it's an easy "in and out" next to a major road and involves minimal interaction with the outside community being outside a built-up urban area. But as said above I'm not sure the idea of watching Villa win a game which relegates us when they're at the Amex and not playing us doesn't sit comfortably.

Or alternatively lose a game that means we stay up.......when? Who knows I’ll leave that to the powers that’s be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here