Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Exit strategy - where are the face masks coming from?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
http://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...ak-and-on-downward-slope-of-outbreak-11981283

As part of today's today's briefing there was specific mention of face masks being part of the key strategy to tone down the stringency of the social distancing rules. If we can put aside the ongoing debate as to whether they serve a real purpose there is another question. Where are all these masks for the public coming from?

If we have noted that there have been struggles to supply the NHS front line staff where does that leave the general public? Surely it's not just to going to be left to us to trawl the internet and negotiate the massively inflated prices for goods that might be not fit for purpose, of even worse might not turn up?

As an illustration on the rip off going on, a little investigation indicated that the normal cost of 50 masks of the quality that dentists use is about £7.00. Quick trawl of internet suggests the majority of sites charging around the £45 - £50 mark.

The briefing said more details will follow but really hope there is a plan around the supply of facemasks.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Spain (or Tenerife for sure) have put a price on what pharmacies can sell them for. I know there are various types but whatever they have done completely stops profiteering.

Hopefully we do the same as I assume these will become the 'must have' clothing garment to have for the foreseeable

Recognise there will be the Louis Vuitton, Burberry etc versions too but that's a different matter

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
http://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...ak-and-on-downward-slope-of-outbreak-11981283

As part of today's today's briefing there was specific mention of face masks being part of the key strategy to tone down the stringency of the social distancing rules. If we can put aside the ongoing debate as to whether they serve a real purpose there is another question.

no, because its core to the debate. why make a plan thats of such questionable benefit? tens of millions of masks redirected from healthcare to people going to the shops trip to the beach?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
no, because its core to the debate. why make a plan thats of such questionable benefit? tens of millions of masks redirected from healthcare to people going to the shops trip to the beach?

I don't think we are talking about medical grade masks. My understanding is that the purpose of these masks isn't to prevent the wearer getting infected, it is to reduce the chance of the wearer passing on the infection.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Only a month ago the deputy CMO was warning they could trap the virus and be dangerous.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-infection-doctor-jenny-harries-a9396811.html

A populist move with little science behind it unless that advice has miraculously changed in a month

I know this is US-related, but the guidance has "miraculously" changed in a month:-

Use of Cloth Face Coverings to Help Slow the Spread of COVID-19

Cloth Face Coverings: Questions and Answers

Everyone should wear face 'masks' in public, CDC now recommends

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

What is the WHO stance?

I think it's inevitable that some form will be needed once restrictions are eased, even if it's just your BHA scarf.

Pub drinking will be iffy sporting face coverings.

As matey on the TV said, won't stop you getting it as your eyes would need to be covered too, just restricts you spreading it.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I don't think we are talking about medical grade masks. My understanding is that the purpose of these masks isn't to prevent the wearer getting infected, it is to reduce the chance of the wearer passing on the infection.

Likewise....you can see that for public transport masks being possibly compulsory? ...Then if you go say shopping i would expect the shop to provide them for those who aren’t wearing one...as i work outside on my own i don't expect to have to wear one

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

"Most people could just make something out of a certain material," President Donald Trump said at a news conference today. "It's very simple to do." However, he added that "I won't be doing it personally. It's a recommendation."

That, along with Pence not doing it sort of makes me want to wear one everywhere :lolol:

Interesting change in advice though. I really don't think anyone's got a clue.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
"Most people could just make something out of a certain material," President Donald Trump said at a news conference today. "It's very simple to do." However, he added that "I won't be doing it personally. It's a recommendation."

That, along with Pence not doing it sort of makes me want to wear one everywhere :lolol:

Interesting change in advice though. I really don't think anyone's got a clue.

I’m surprised he hasn’t advised making a mask out of an old dettol bottle and broadcast a Youtube video showing how too.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Isn't it the case that masks are actually a relatively minimal thing that we can all do in the grand scheme of things? And that we should prioritise other things, such as physical distancing, isolating if we have -- or suspect we have -- contracted CV19.
The other key thing that is needed is a policy on the entire package of testing, tracing and tracking. Over to the government on that one. Without this, it's going to be so difficult to even begin gentle restrictions on the lockdown.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So how many masks would be needed, I assume that everyone would need more than one given the requirement to wash, so even on a minimal of 2 each, that's still 132,000,000 masks that need to be available, and in reality probably more would be needed.

So, probably not available until summer next year.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

that can be achived by not coughing at people. i dont think the subtle message "wear a face mask, but not the medical grade ones" is really workable.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Spot on. Completely different issue to PPE for the NHS and Care Workers. Still, as they say, never let the facts .........................

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Spot on. Completely different issue to PPE for the NHS and Care Workers. Still, as they say, never let the facts .........................

Needs clarity though, is it face masks or face covering?

If it’s masks then even the non-surgical ones are selling for silly money on Amazon and eBay. If it’s just a face covering, like a scarf then that clearly is easier to manage - clarity, as I said, is key!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Only a month ago the deputy CMO was warning they could trap the virus and be dangerous.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-infection-doctor-jenny-harries-a9396811.html

A populist move with little science behind it unless that advice has miraculously changed in a month

You do wonder if hes really being guided by the science on this one ..but more likely some expert on human reactions has suggested it might give people more confidence in getting back to work ..wasn’t he quoted as saying they might be useful in todays speech..not quite a ringing endorsement

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I debate this a lot with someone who thinks we should have had them months idea. My problem isn't the scientific evidence but the behavioral reality. I seeing a lot of them worn in London now, particular in shops.

I'm notice a sense of "invincibility" about the wearers, more so actually by workers in shops.

In my big local supermarket although they are very good at limiting people going in - inside the workers (unfortunately) don't really observe social distancing any more. If someone needs to stack a shelf, just tell me to get out of the way, don't creep up behind and don't bother.

They will have a place when the infection rate had dropped massively because other wise the more important things, like distancing, washing hand etc.. will just break down.

However, annoyingly I'm already preparing myself for being forced to wear something on the trains up here which is being muted. Got a pattern on line for something reasonable, but bloody hell was it difficult to buy 5mm elastic. That's the currently run out thing. You know many manufacturers are taking a punt on making them and have been it buying up it all up.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
They've been compulsory here in Dubai for several weeks now.

Packs of 50 of the disposable medical ones are about £15, with plenty of availability – the pharmacy downstairs in my building has boxes and boxes of them.

I'd happily fill a suitcase or two and fly them over, if I was allowed to...! :cry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here