Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Anyone successfully moved Music to an exal HDD on MacOS Catalina ?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
As more than half the space on my macbook is taken up with my music library, I thought I'd migrate it to an external HDD. I thought it was just a matter of copying all the files to the drive and pointing Music to the new location but now it seems unable to find any songs unless I manually locate them (which is a bit of a faff for 11000+ of them.
Anyone done it ?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I think you need to do changes within iTunes, so it knows where to ‘look’ for your new library. I did something similar a while back. I’m sure if you a Google it you’ll find simple instructions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
As more than half the space on my macbook is taken up with my music library, I thought I'd migrate it to an external HDD. I thought it was just a matter of copying all the files to the drive and pointing Music to the new location but now it seems unable to find any songs unless I manually locate them (which is a bit of a faff for 11000+ of them.
Anyone done it ?

Yes, I do it all the times, not via itunes, just direct it works very simply, PM if you'd like a hand x

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Assuming you are using iTunes/Music....

Open Preferences (cmd+,) > Files > Change find the top level directory on you external HDD > Ok

Should be job done

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here