Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Lockdown lifting - when?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Now that we are only 1 week from the next review of the country's 'Lockdown' status I was wondering when NSC'ers think that this might be lifted. I know it's a case is how long is a piece of string but I'm cautiously optimistic.

I'm going for just one further period of 3 weeks which would take us to the end of May. Hoping that come early June I'll be able to go and see family and friends not seen in what seems like ages. Fingers crossed.

What's your guess?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Now that we are only 1 week from the next review of the country's 'Lockdown' status I was wondering when NSC'ers think that this might be lifted. I know it's a case is how long is a piece of string but I'm cautiously optimistic.

I'm going for just one further period of 3 weeks which would take us to the end of May. Hoping that come early June I'll be able to go and see family and friends not seen in what seems like ages. Fingers crossed.

What's your guess?

I see 'Be Kind' has already been lifted, you knob.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Not sure at this stage and from what they said on the news last night, the Government are awaiting a report from their scientists before they make any decision. Can you imagine the carnage on the motorways the weekend after they said "you can go and see your families" though? It would need to be managed extremely carefully.

I see 'Be Kind' has already been lifted, you knob.

???

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Until there's a vaccine people will continue to catch the virus and our govt have been and continue to be reacting too slowly and too conservatively from the word go. But they are stupid enough and driven by the need to be popular that they are quite capable of relaxing the lockdown far too early too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh dear god!

Bozza has lifted the 'Be Kind' reminder sticky from the top of the page, which has been there since Cornavirus got real and the lockdown.

Therefore we no longer have to be kind (despite the fact 99% of the time we all are anyway)
So the JOKE being now we are no longer being told to 'be kind' we can liberally be not kind.

It doesn't seem quite so funny now!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Call off the "Misjudged joke of the year" competition as we have a winner.

At least, I hope.
Behave that wasn't even the worst in the last 24 hours.

[tweet]1255451358297284613[/tweet]

I sincerely apologize for not better explaining my joke in the outset.
I meant no offence to the OP or any subsequent readers.

I just got a little excited by the fact be kind had been lifted.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Lockdown? I dunno. To be really safe it should go on for a lot longer yet , until there are so few cases and the infection rate so low that the risk of a second wave is minimal. ... But what about the economy?
I feel for those of you are self employed or work for small firms that may not be there afterwards. ....and I would love to go out for a drink, the same as anybody.
It is a judgement call, balancing the risks. Politicians may be damned if they do and damned if they dont.:shrug::shrug:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Behave that wasn't even the worst in the last 24 hours.

I was clearly referencing the award of Ugliest Nurse of the year award from the totally unrelated 2003 Meat Up thread that I just read. This extrapolates into me clearly referencing it being an NSC award rather than a worldwide award.

Have I done this right? :lolol:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Lockdown? I dunno. To be really safe it should go on for a lot longer yet , until there are so few cases and the infection rate so low that the risk of a second wave is minimal. ... But what about the economy?
I feel for those of you are self employed or work for small firms that may not be there afterwards. ....and I would love to go out for a drink, the same as anybody.
It is a judgement call, balancing the risks. Politicians may be damned if they do and damned if they dont.:shrug::shrug:

How few is few though ? It only takes one infected person to begin a whole new wave. I am inclined to wait for a vaccination before emerging from hibernation, regardless of government decree on lockdown.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
How few is few though ? It only takes one infected person to begin a whole new wave. I am inclined to wait for a vaccination before emerging from hibernation, regardless of government decree on lockdown.

But we don't know how long that will be. If it were September then this might just be manageable - but I understand this is unlikely. Any longer than that and the entire economy would be irrevocably destroyed IMHO and the impacts of that would be far worse than the virus.

It also depends how many have already had it, which we still don't know - though it's clearly likely to be a higher proportion of people here than in many other countries.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
It’ll start to be relaxed I expect either next week or one more period of three weeks. It’ll be a long time before total restriction removal though I expect. Can’t see going round and visiting friends and family being an option for some time.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It'll get lifted too soon and be driven by social and economic pressure.

We ***ked up in the beginning by not jumping on it in the way NZ did.

Many will think because a politician says it's ok to go out that's the all clear. I shudder to think what might happen. For my part only when a vaccine is available will I go back to anything like normal

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

But that could happen with just essential workers. My girlfriend was recalled from furlough to work in a book wholesalers. They aren't essential but aren't banned from operating. This risks undoing me staying home for 6 weeks but what is the alternative? The plan is clearly to get the numbers as low as possible along with getting people to observe a new way of behaving in public when they are slowly allowed back to work. You could be hibernating until next year if you are waiting for a vaccine.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
We ***ked up in the beginning by not jumping on it in the way NZ did.

Any island has a natural advantage in preventing an outbreak ... as long as they can move nimbly. They did, we didn't

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Errrrm, what did the OP do to deserve that response? Someone obviously shat on your cornflakes this morning.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
I prefer "who pissed in your cheerios "

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
But we don't know how long that will be. If it were September then this might just be manageable - but I understand this is unlikely. Any longer than that and the entire economy would be irrevocably destroyed IMHO and the impacts of that would be far worse than the virus.

It also depends how many have already had it, which we still don't know - though it's clearly likely to be a higher proportion of people here than in many other countries.

It will be destroyed yes, but not irrevocably. My guess is that there will be some minor lifting to restrictions in the summer then through the autumn, but we'll be living much like we are for about another calendar year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here