Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Utterly obscene

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Could anything be more obscene than Newcastle Utd offering £19m a year for Poch for next season? In the current climate? The Premier League is already accused of not being in the real world, but this makes me sick to the stomach.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I had a look at Newcastle fora this week. Virtually to a person, they don’t give a jot that the new owners are (in effect) a murderous and barbaric regime. Instead, elated to see the back of Ashley (understandable), but with zero respect to their current manager Bruce who’s done more than OK, and salivating about their new found riches to attract the best manager and players from across Europe.

The Saudi’s are loved on Tyneside already. Subject to FFP, with wealth of £320B they easily usurp Mansour’s resources of £23B.

At a stroke eliminating one of Brighton’s usual relegation rivals each August, making it that much harder for the Albion to extend its stay.

But that’s modern football. Even the broadsheets revealing over the last 5 weeks all the hugely expensive transfers ManU, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs are actively working on.

el punal

Could anything be more obscene than Newcastle Utd offering £19m a year for Poch for next season? In the current climate? The Premier League is already accused of not being in the real world, but this makes me sick to the stomach.

It took Pochettino three years to learn English, it’ll take him another three to understand Geordie. :drink:

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton

A lot more obscene is the execution of 37 prisoners by the Saudi regime in April 2019
And the Murder and dismembering of a journalist for criticism of the Saudi Autocracy in 2018

Seems the PL not averse to a blood money ...

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A lot more obscene is the execution of 37 prisoners by the Saudi regime in April 2019
And the Murder and dismembering of a journalist for criticism of the Saudi Autocracy in 2018

Seems the PL not averse to a blood money ...

Not a trick or rhetorical question, but if the Saudi’s were taking over us instead of Newcastle, I wonder what the reaction of the Albion fanbase as a whole beyond NSC would be?

I have a sinking feeling that in the main it would be great excitement. As it would be at CP, Norwich, Stains, Watford, Spurs, Arsenal.

Anything for success, anything for trophies.

As someone once said, it’s a funny old game.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
They obviously passed the PL's 'Fit and Proper Murderers' test.

So what's the problem? :shrug:

:goal:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
99 year old man walks around his garden umpteen times to raise millions for the NHS.
Potential Premier League club owners offer similar millions to another man to manage said club next season.
Could there possibly be any worse timing?
The non footballing world should be calling out this obscenity from every part of the media.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
99 year old man walks around his garden umpteen times to raise millions for the NHS.
Potential Premier League club owners offer similar millions to another man to manage said club next season.
Could there possibly be any worse timing?
The non footballing world should be calling out this obscenity from every part of the media.

PR - you can bet that Staveley/the Saudi’s announce generous donations to the local community soon after arriving, a new wing on a children's hospital perhaps.

On TV some Newcastle fans justified the takeover as being for the community as a whole. Of course.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I had a look at Newcastle fora this week. Virtually to a person, they don’t give a jot that the new owners are (in effect) a murderous and barbaric regime. Instead, elated to see the back of Ashley (understandable), but with zero respect to their current manager Bruce who’s done more than OK, and salivating about their new found riches to attract the best manager and players from across Europe.

The Saudi’s are loved on Tyneside already. Subject to FFP, with wealth of £320B they easily usurp Mansour’s resources of £23B.

At a stroke eliminating one of Brighton’s usual relegation rivals each August, making it that much harder for the Albion to extend its stay.

But that’s modern football. Even the broadsheets revealing over the last 5 weeks all the hugely expensive transfers ManU, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs are actively working on.

Reading your post has made me reflect that, after 6 weeks without football and having not really missed it what with far more important things going on, football at the top level really is bollocks and perhaps I'm also not really missing it as I just don't care as much as I thought I did. Such a shame top level football has gone this way.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Not a trick or rhetorical question, but if the Saudi’s were taking over us instead of Newcastle, I wonder what the reaction of the Albion fanbase as a whole beyond NSC would be?

I have a sinking feeling that in the main it would be great excitement. As it would be at CP, Norwich, Stains, Watford, Spurs, Arsenal.

I'd be hugely disappointed if so. But, you're probably right. Let's hope we never get to find out...

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Reading your post has made me reflect that, after 6 weeks without football and having not really missed it what with far more important things going on, football at the top level really is bollocks and perhaps I'm also not really missing it as I just don't care as much as I thought I did. Such a shame top level football has gone this way.

Same here. I’ve very much enjoyed the break from the constant ‘noise’ that comes with PL football in 2020 - transfer business, record transfers and contracts, agents, all the leeches earning fortunes by attaching themselves to the gravy train, the radio chat as if it’s life itself. NSC’s got even more interesting without the natural PL focus.

I still see myself still going to the Amex for a long time to come, not least for the trips out with my son.

I hope TB’s PL strategy succeeds in the face of ever wealthier backers elsewhere, willing to dish out player contracts at another level to us.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I for one would be out. Faversham Town would have my bum on their seat. And that's in an all standing stadium.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014

I would walk for one. That would be the end for me,

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here