Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Ricky Gervais - After Life - Series 1 and 2

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Ricky Gervais - After Life - Series 1 and 2

I have finally joined Netflix just to watch this really as there is not much else to do this year

It really is rather brilliant isn't it ?

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
It really is one of the best things I've ever watched on TV.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The best scenes are with Penelope and Ricky. She is simply brilliant in this

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Wonderful TV.

We binges watched series 1 last week to refresh ourselves ahead of doing the same with series 2 which we went through the following evening.

Beautifully observed and very touching, and I don’t mind confessing to a few tears on both nights.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I loved the first series. Series 2, I found relentlessly depressing and left me feeling very deflated. There’s no doubt it’s excellently written and produced but I found it a bit over the top.
Still, better than most of the hog wash Netflix put out.

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
I have been watching yesterday and today. I have to keep stopping as it makes me cry quite a lot

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Simply stunning, I have always appreciated Gervais’ genius as opposed to loving it but this series is just beautifully observed. One of the smartest things about his writing is that he crafts fantastic support characters. Some truly heartbreaking moments blended with some foul mouthed brilliance. Just love it. Ricky Gervais take a bow. This is a comic masterpiece which will stand the test of time.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm assuming that it's another swearathon? It's always good to hear the C and F words used as comedic vehicles..barrel scraped again.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Another vote for After Life. Not fond of his other work, but this hits the tender spot.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
I'm assuming that it's another swearathon? It's always good to hear the C and F words used as comedic vehicles..barrel scraped again.

So you've not watched it?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
First series was quite good.
Strip away the relentless emotive use of music and grief, and the second series is exposed as a mess IMO.
And a lazy mess.
So many plot lines started but not developed.
Also, Some scenes were clearly filmed in London but passed off as the rural town in the plot.
And some of the dialogue...jeez. again, just lazy.
Clearly, even Ricky couldn’t quite be arsed.
After Life doesn’t really deserve your love, as it relies on one cheap and cliched trick after another to win the viewer over.
I’m surprised so many people like it to be honest, especially series two. Which was sh*te.

Last edited:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Apparently the fat kid is based on James Corden, I thought it was.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
First series was good.
Strip away the relentless emotive use of music and grief, and the second series is exposed as a mess.
And a lazy mess.
So many plot lines started but not developed.
Also, Some scenes were clearly filmed in London but passed off as the rural town in the plot.
And some of the dialogue...jeez. again, just lazy.
Clearly, even Ricky couldn’t quite be arsed.
After Life doesn’t really deserve all your love, as it relies on so many cheap tricks. Glad you all liked it though.

I've only watched the first two of the second series after really enjoying the first, and have been disappointed so far. As you say, feels a bit lazy, and the storyline with James the work experience guy and the amateur theatre group is shit. I'm no prude when it comes to language either but the overuse of the C word is cringworthy imo.
Hopefully I'll find that the series picks up, but it sounds like perhaps not from your post..

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I've only watched the first two of the second series after really enjoying the first, and have been disappointed so far. As you say, feels a bit lazy, and the storyline with James the work experience guy and the amateur theatre group is shit. I'm no prude when it comes to language either but the overuse of the C word is cringworthy imo.
Hopefully I'll find that the series picks up, but it sounds like perhaps not from your post..

Second series first two eps, were the best tbh.
The stuff with the am dram group is an absolute car crash and takes up two episodes.
have to admit the Dennis Pennis scenes did make me laugh. He is a great actor. But it wore thin.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here