Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] French league 1 abandoned

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Now officially abandoned. No decision yet on any promotions or relegations.

Surely this makes it more likely the PL will follow suit ? What do the NSC folk think !

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
If the general public are going to be allowed out to mingle shortly, why not play behind closed doors? At least clubs will still get some tv revenue and all matches can be streamed via club websites.

*edit - assuming it's safe to do so, which we will know when lockdown ends. If not, then obviously cancel.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
PSG and Lyon out of the Champions League or will it be abandoned this season or played late in the year?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Toulouse will be happy, they were 17 points adrift

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
And so another league sees sense. Somehow I expect we'll be one of the last to be dragged kicking and screaming into reality.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
And so another league sees sense. Somehow I expect we'll be one of the last to be dragged kicking and screaming into reality.

This, aided and abetted by a government too scared to face the truth

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Toulouse will be happy, they were 17 points adrift

Sorry I should have clarified, french season abandoned but not made null & void so promotion and relegation still has to be decided by a meeting by the french football authority .

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sorry I should have clarified, french season abandoned but not made null & void so promotion and relegation still has to be decided by a meeting by the french football authority .

In that case Toulouse are fecked :lolol:

On another note, If they did that in England imagine how pissed we’d be if they decided to relegate us

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Think I'm losing the desire for things to restart now, in the circumstances it just doesn't feel right

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I've said from the outset, stop the season now.

Award Liverklopp the title and promote all the teams in automatic promotion places in the other leagues, but don't relegate anyone.

Then relegate one extra team over the next two seasons to restore the Leagues to their current size.

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
Does the fact their government has explicitly banned sporting events until September make a difference to the potential contractual issues? Is it similar to force majeure? If that's the case, I assume PL and EFL won't make a decision unless the UK govt does the same thing.

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
If only Liverpool hadn't dropped points at Watford and wherever else to sew up the title.........................................

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
As already mentioned this is a French government position and the UK government don't seem to share the view (well not yet at least)

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Out of interest, if the PL was stopped now, how would Brighton stand? I've heard average points, which would keep us up. On the other hand teams may complain about having played the top 6 away more than others, again Brighton should stay up. Pools panel style decisions. Not too good as we have 6 bad games to play plus bound to give Norwich as H win.
So under what scenario would Brighton get relegated?

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
In that case Toulouse are fecked :lolol:

On another note, If they did that in England imagine how pissed we’d be if they decided to relegate us

I looked into that . I can’t see any scenario where we would be relegated. Points after 19 games or average points per game or current placing . We would stay up on all. Our biggest risk of relegation is playing the full 38 games !

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Out of interest, if the PL was stopped now, how would Brighton stand? I've heard average points, which would keep us up. On the other hand teams may complain about having played the top 6 away more than others, again Brighton should stay up. Pools panel style decisions. Not too good as we have 6 bad games to play plus bound to give Norwich as H win.
So under what scenario would Brighton get relegated?

After 29 out of 39 games played most teams have played enough of a fair share of strong and weak teams that points per game should provide a decent estimate. Both Villa and Bournemouth would struggle to justify that they've got an easier run-in than Watford and West Ham, and they certainly couldn't justify making up the respective 2 and 4 points on us as well as the +10 goal difference.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here