Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Computer problem help needed

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Upon trying to order my new set of slippers, my desktop computer required an update.

I did the update and now it's flashing a blue screen at me with the message ' critical error '

It's currently running on Windows Vista Home Basic if that helps,

Thank you.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Tried Safe Mode then System Restore pre update?

If not, ITCrow.jpg

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Thought vista was now not supported (appears from 2017) surprised you got an update.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Feeling a bit BG today. Just tried to upload a document from an email to amend today and apparently I don't have a License any more. Can't find any of my Word Docs either. I'm not a wiz with my Lenovo laptop, but I've checked for a update since I last used it, but I couldn't see one. The last version I had was Office Pro Plus, but I think I had a different version on my current Windows 10 laptop which I bought new about 18m ago which the dealer installed. I still have a Office Professional Plus 2013 Backup Disc and a Product key from the Home Use Program that I bought when I was working, but I'm uncertain if I should try and load it or if it is just too out of date. I like Office and Word but don't really want to pay a lot to get it back if there is a very simple workaround.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Feeling a bit BG today. Just tried to upload a document from an email to amend today and apparently I don't have a License any more. Can't find any of my Word Docs either. I'm not a wiz with my Lenovo laptop, but I've checked for a update since I last used it, but I couldn't see one. The last version I had was Office Pro Plus, but I think I had a different version on my current Windows 10 laptop which I bought new about 18m ago which the dealer installed. I still have a Office Professional Plus 2013 Backup Disc and a Product key from the Home Use Program that I bought when I was working, but I'm uncertain if I should try and load it or if it is just too out of date. I like Office and Word but don't really want to pay a lot to get it back if there is a very simple workaround.

Just realised the red line says Product Activation Failed and it refers to Microsoft Office Standard 2010. Same question though - could I just input the 2013 Product key?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Just realised the red line says Product Activation Failed and it refers to Microsoft Office Standard 2010. Same question though - could I just input the 2013 Product key?

One possibility is that the version of Office that was installed was a limited-time 'free' version, or a one-year licence, that has now expired.

For now, just install one of many alternative free word-processors. There are many that will allow you to edit Word docs - see
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/5-free-alternatives-to-microsoft-word/ for one of many lists of such software.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

I don’t think the 2013 key will work on 2010 product but always worth a try. I’d install 2013 if you have the product key.

One possibility is that the version of Office that was installed was a limited-time 'free' version, or a one-year licence, that has now expired.

For now, just install one of many alternative free word-processors. There are many that will allow you to edit Word docs - see
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/5-free-alternatives-to-microsoft-word/ for one of many lists of such software.

Thanks for your help.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
A bit niche, but anyone know if there is a key to press to get a full stop or decimal point slightly lower in the line? It needs to align it with one that's already there, that I don't want to move up.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Windows Vista? Wasn't that in black and white?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Copy and paste the existing one. If it's not spec on the screen which needs wiping off

Funnily enough, although that's stating the bleedin' obvious, it might work. It's actually the little display screen on my Cocktail HiFi hard drive and I just might be able to cut and paste with the wireless keyboard. Unless the track identically matches every detail to an album, I can't merge them. I'll give it a whirl.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here