Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 1970 Cup Final - BBC remembers

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's the 50th anniversary of the Leeds v Chelsea cup final and, to celebrate, the Beeb has a nice piece about it

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52416192

I remember both matches - the replay in particular, that was an unbelievable game with running feuds throughout the game - played on a pitch that resembled the Somme.

For those who were too young to see it, it's worth digging out some You Tube videos -there are a few out there. Look for the karate kick that McCreadie does on Bremner.

But for those with young children, it's X Certificate stuff

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
webb.JPG

:lolol:

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
First game I really remember - although I’d been live to the Wolves league cup game at the Albion. Peter Houseman’s long throws were the thing that captivated me in the Wembley game and my dad let me stay up to watch the Old Trafford replay. Peter Osgood was my first footballing hero. Funnily though, I’ve never had a soft spot for Chelsea?

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
First game I really remember - although I’d been live to the Wolves league cup game at the Albion. Peter Houseman’s long throws were the thing that captivated me in the Wembley game and my dad let me stay up to watch the Old Trafford replay. Peter Osgood was my first footballing hero. Funnily though, I’ve never had a soft spot for Chelsea?

Was Ian Hutchinson, not Peter Houseman. Memory!

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
The first FA Cup final I remember watching, thanks for the heads up .

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Such is its enduring reputation, it has been re-refereed twice since by leading officials according to modern interpretations of the rules. In 1997, David Elleray concluded he would have shown six red cards, while this year Michael Oliver opted for 11.

On the night, referee Eric Jennings brandished just one yellow card.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
One of the most violent games I’ve ever seen, in England anyway.

For more of this ilk, check out the Battle of Santiago, Chile v Italy in the 62 World Cup. Now, that one is violent.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

For more of this ilk, check out the Battle of Santiago, Chile v Italy in the 62 World Cup. Now, that one is violent.

David Coleman certainly wasn't impressed...

“Good evening. The game you are about to see is the most stupid, appalling, disgusting and disgraceful exhibition of football in the history of the game. This is the first time these countries have met; we hope it will be the last. The national motto of Chile reads, By Reason or By Force. Today, the Chileans were prepared to be reasonable, the Italians only used force, and the result was a disaster for the World Cup. If the World Cup is going to survive in its present form something has got to be done about teams that play like this. Indeed, after seeing the film tonight, you at home may well think that teams that play in this manner ought to be expelled immediately from the competition.”

https://youtu.be/T5jVMSlpZhg

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Amazing. A Chilean player laid out an Italian with a left-hook right in front of the lino and is not even booked.

We moan about refs today but they've improved no end since then. Yes, the laws have changed somewhat but even back in the 60s, punching a player was a sending off offence. An even worse match was the Celtic v Racing game in 1967

The common factor in all of them was poor refereeing.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Was Ian Hutchinson, not Peter Houseman. Memory!

I seem to recall he lived in Portslade and ran in Easthill Park.

I hadn't realised the FA cup final was played so early back then.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Amazing. A Chilean player laid out an Italian with a left-hook right in front of the lino and is not even booked.

We moan about refs today but they've improved no end since then. Yes, the laws have changed somewhat but even back in the 60s, punching a player was a sending off offence. An even worse match was the Celtic v Racing game in 1967

The common factor in all of them was poor refereeing.

Exactly. In human endeavour of any sort we need rules and we need an authority to oversee them. Without that human beings are capable of anything.

Check out the Milgram experiment to see what we are (almost) all capable of if the prevailing conditions are permissive:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Only watched it yesterday on youtube

How Leeds lost I'll never know
Sprake's howler didn't help
Eddie Gray had a superb game at Wembley
The replay is the 2nd most watched live game in the UK ,I believe

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here