Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Daily Express

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The Express used an old picture of Brighton seafront on its front cover on Saturday to claim people weren't social distancing. No wonder no-one trusts the media.

20200428_011304.jpg

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Just wondering how you deduced that it is an old photo? What gave it away?

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
The Express used an old picture of Brighton seafront on its front cover on Saturday to claim people weren't social distancing. No wonder no-one trusts the media

Sadly, a lot of people seem simultaneously to claim "You can't believe/trust what you read in the papers", but still believe/trust what they read in 'their' newspaper. Somehow, it's all of the other media they claim is untrustworthy!

Same with politics. So many people who claim that "All politicians are corrupt/liars/only-in-it-for-themselves then adore Right-wing populists and millionaire snake-oil salesmen like Nigel Farage, Boris Johnson, Donald Trump and Jacob Rees-Mogg!

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Imho the clue is the Heli Pad on top of the RSCH Tower, that picture was taken during the early stages of construction, probably one and half years ago I would say?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You have warm Novembers down there :)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The new ineffective rubbish/recycling bins weren’t there last summer. Went in during the autumn.
I’ll go and check the cranes later, if not too cloudy.
68BB25A7-4A73-4568-966E-0099A5A35BAE.jpeg

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Sadly, a lot of people seem simultaneously to claim "You can't believe/trust what you read in the papers", but still believe/trust what they read in 'their' newspaper. Somehow, it's all of the other media they claim is untrustworthy!

Same with politics. So many people who claim that "All politicians are corrupt/liars/only-in-it-for-themselves then adore Right-wing populists and millionaire snake-oil salesmen like Nigel Farage, Boris Johnson, Donald Trump and Jacob Rees-Mogg!
The Daily Expess is in the somewhat uncomfortable position of having been rabidly pro Tory/anti Europe for about the last 20 years. It is famous for its extreme front page " Splashes" on everything from the weather and making a mountain out of a molehill over bendy bananas or what is discussed in the EU Parliament.

This should have changed when taken over by Reach group, the company that evolved from Trinity Mirror, yes the owners of the left leaning Daily Mirror! So, it's VERY hard to trust a company that now puts out two very different viewpoints out in to the mainstream media in the manner of Yin / Yang.

So, this could have changed 2 years back but that would have meant that the Express would have been losing circulation at a high rate as all the Colonel Blimps and elderly ladies that thought the Express actually shared their " beliefs " jumped ship. So the Express continues on with its indignant foghorn headlines in order to cling on to its dwindling share of the market. Untrustworthy? Duplicitous most definitely.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I've been down there (I think) three times during the lockdown. The transformation from 'the norm' is extraordinary. The police are also present, and would never have allowed that to happen. So, hopefully, one or two people that read The Express will recognise that they are lying to their readers.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Well for sensationalism they couldn't have used a recent picture. Last Sunday about lunchtime.

sunday.jpg

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Someone posted it on Twitter - it's the cranes in the background. I was already very suspicious that it was that crowded anyway.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
All newspapers have an agenda . I remember having an e mail debate a couple of years ago with a Guardian journalist and whilst he didn’t deny that he was writing in a somewhat selective manner, he backed it up by saying that the Guardian has a certain view on this subject !

It’s not just the tabloids ! It’s just a bit more subtle in the Guardian.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Not only the tabloids. I had an email debate with a guardian journalist a couple of years ago , taking him to task about a very selective article he had written about a country that was on a permanent terror alert . He did not deny his article was selective but defended himself by saying it was in line with the Guardian’s political view on this subject !

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Someone posted it on Twitter - it's the cranes in the background. I was already very suspicious that it was that crowded anyway.
Yes, went over to Brighton last week for the first time in about 6 weeks and I was astounded to see how tall the hospital building is now. This sort of thing always happens, if ever we get a " Phew! What a Scorcher" headline on a Bank Holiday weekend they normally always show a stock picture of Brighton or Bournemouth beach.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Not only the tabloids. I had an email debate with a guardian journalist a couple of years ago , taking him to task about a very selective article he had written about a country that was on a permanent terror alert . He did not deny his article was selective but defended himself by saying it was in line with the Guardian’s political view on this subject !

Clearly yes, the Guardian, does have a certain worldview and doesn't purport to be neutral, but it also has some editorial standards. Every statement on a Guardian online article is linked to source information and it's totally inconceivable that it would run a front page picture as deliberately misleading as the Express one.

Also remember that it's the only centre left paper, up against a phalanx of publications, which work pretty much hand in hand with tory central office.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just out of curiosity, is The Express lying? Has Priti Patel not in fact warned people about breaking the restrictions? Just asking ........................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here