Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] WiFi boosters/extenders O/T

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I bought one off amazon last week seems to do the job. You can set it up use the same SSID

this was the model TP-Link TL-WA850RE N300 £17

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’ve got one in the kitchen that means wifi works in the garden - only 30% of the speed but good enough for most things. It was a cheap thing off off Amazon. Works fine - devices autoconnect etc.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
techies talk about 'mesh networks' now rather than boosters or extenders. Appears more of a way to lighten your wallet than necessarily responding to needs.

In our grade 2 listed 10 feet thick walled abode we had problems so invested £200 in BT SmartHub 2 and one Disc. You can get on the never never by signing up to Halo but the payback on buying yourself is only 7 months.

And it works. We get good reception on all three floors, the conservatory and half the garden with just one Disc. We use part of the property as a café and have not had problems with customers on the system as well as ourselves.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I've got one of these access points on a wall in the kitchen- cabled into the router under a the floor.

31juqcXXbiL._AC_.jpg

Doodle to set up. Set it up once (years ago) and never had to reset it.

Gotsmanov

Aug 13, 2003
Brighton
We just invested in a Google nest wifi mesh network. It's brilliant, worth every penny, fast wifi stretching right to the very back of the garden (and probably beyond).

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I've got one of these access points on a wall in the kitchen- cabled into the router under a the floor.

31juqcXXbiL._AC_.jpg

What is it?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Weve got 3 devolo boosters covering our three storey house and the kids wire their PS4s straight into them on the top floor.

They've always been ok but have to say that over the last few weeks they have struggled with everyone at home working, streaming, and gaming at same time.

Looking to try something new.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
What is it?

It's a posh wire extender (or access point) the sort of thing you get in an office.

A WiFi signal WILL NOT PASS THROUGH the brick between the the living room > hall > kitchen.

It's a Victorian place, with a very thick wall in the middle. Engineering brick ?

A ran a cable under two floors, one cable into the router - one into this, which sits in the kitchen. It's the size of a small plate.

Obviously good to do when you are ripping up floors etc...

So this is where the wifi for the whole place comes from.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
It's a posh wire extender (or access point) the sort of thing you get in an office.

A WiFi signal WILL NOT PASS THROUGH the brick between the the living room > hall > kitchen.

It's a Victorian place, with a very thick wall in the middle. Engineering brick ?

A ran a cable under two floors, one cable into the router - one into this, which sits in the kitchen. It's the size of a small plate.

Obviously good to do when you are ripping up floors etc...

So this is where the wifi for the whole place comes from.

I suffer from similar problems, hence asking what it is. Do you know what brand it is, and where I could purchase one? Cheers.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Got a Tp-Link deco mesh that I've used with both Virgin and Sky hub routers turned to modem only. I've hardwired each unit which broadcasts the same wifi signal. A powerline adapter maybe a good idea for this.

For the OP, TP-Link also do a powerline extender so that the 2nd unit is the wifi with the network signal transferred across the power circuit rather than just boosting the existing wifi.

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
We just invested in a Google nest wifi mesh network. It's brilliant, worth every penny, fast wifi stretching right to the very back of the garden (and probably beyond).

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

I've got a couple of the Google mesh boxes running as well and can't recommend them enough. They are more expensive than extenders but are way more reliable and have better coverage. You also get a bunch of other features like being able to control who uses the WiFi and when, what they can and can't see and other useful stuff like that which is handy if you have kids.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

31juqcXXbiL._AC_.jpg

It's good to draw on your experience

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
I use a Tenda mesh system bought from Amazon in the house. Spanish houses are concrete walls etc. and no common earth to be able to use TP link systems. With a base station at the router plus one repeater upstairs and one down it gives pretty good coverage in a large house, the terrace and about 50 mtrs into the garden. Cost around £70 I seem to remember.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I suffer from similar problems, hence asking what it is. Do you know what brand it is, and where I could purchase one? Cheers.

I think this is probably the latest model.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-N...x=internet+access+p,computers,165&sr=1-4&th=1

They are quite expensive (£70) - but as I said I only set it up once. I've had mine maybe 6 years ?

You can also buy more grown up ones. This one is small office / house.

You hard wire it into the router and it has its own power supply. I've got it in a corner (up high) behind a television. If you don't hard cable it - I don't see the point to be honest.

It looks like a posh smoke alarm and isn't that much bigger.

You just set it up with some free software. As for set up (if I recall) - I gave it the same alias and password as the actual router. That way it's just an extension.

Very rarely (although haven't noticed it for years), I'd have to disconnect and re-connect a mobile if moving from one area to another. A phone would hang on to original connection.

But many mobiles later, I never have to do that anymore.

Only time I EVER have to change it is when you get a new router. So I haven't touched this for over 4 years ? Turn it off when on holiday and it just bounces back to live without intervention.

There are probably other brands now, but I can vouch for this manufacturer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here