Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Computer games from the 1990s

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
For those missing football I give you the Speedball 2 season circa 1990.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyX4BPU-Bao

The Bitmap Brothers released many of their best titles for the Amiga computer, but among their most famous and best remembered games is Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe. Along with Doom and Lemmings, Speedball 2 is one of the few titles that continues to be updated, re-worked and re-released on modern platforms (although not always for the better).

Influenced by the 1975 film Rollerball, Speedball 2 is the sequel to the original (and much less known) Speedball, a hyper-violent sport similar to Rugby/American Football that pits two teams of armoured grunts against each other. The objective is to score points by throwing a large, steel ball into the goal of the opposing team whilst preventing the opposing team from scoring.

This might sound simple, but the reality is anything but when you realise that there are no rules. Players can punch, kick and otherwise reduce each other to quivering piles of viscera, much to the delight of the cheering crowd.

The game features a range of game modes, including league (shown here), knockout and cup matches to work through. The objective is to take on the management of new kid on block, Brutal Deluxe, and bring some serious silverware to their trophy cabinet.

Before each game, the player has the opportunity to improve statistics of each team member, thus making them more effective in the arena. Improving player stats makes a noticeable improvement to how the players handle and it's impressive that you can upgrade on a per-player basis, as well as targetting whole groups and the whole team in one go. Boosting the team costs money, so coins must be collected during each match to keep the kitty topped up.

Once training is complete, the actual game begins and that's when the blood starts spilling. The ball is fire into the arena by a central cannon and both teams must fight for possession, literally. Once controlled, the player must throw the ball over the goal-line of the opposing team, all the while making sure that the opponent doesn't wrest control of the ball and score themselves.

As well as scoring goals, points can be scored by hitting pinball-like bonus bumpers, or by hitting star panels in the walls of the arena. Players can choose to risk the opportunity to boost their scoring potential by throwing the ball into the score multiplier loops located at either side of the arena.

Points are extremely important as every ten points scored during a match equate to one point being added the league score. This means that victory isn't assured simply by winning matches; it would be quite possible to lose the majority of league and still win the league by having a few extremely higher-scoring games.

On a technical level, perhaps the most remarkable thing about the game is the artificial intelligence. The CPU players tackle and pass the ball with ruthless efficiency, plus they make full use of the bonus multipliers and will collect coins and power-ups. Unfortunately, your team mates are actually quite dumb until you upgrade the intelligence stat; do not neglect it!

The artwork and graphics produced by Dan Malone are simply superb. The cold, steely greys of the arena, the armoured bodysuits of the players and the actual ball look incredible. Just how all the artwork, sound and game was packed into a single 720k floppy disk is unbelievable.

The sound effects in the game are fantastic. From the cheers of the crowd to the clanging of the ball against the walls of the arena, the game simply oozes ambience and really conveys the impression of playing inside a stadium in front of a roaring crowd. One of the greatest and most memorable touches is the cries of "Ice-cream! Ice-cream" from the vendor in the stands.

Despite the fondness that most people have for the game, it's far from perfect. I had huge problems with the control scheme and the way the game decides which player is currently active, which led to several vocal outbursts during recording.

The CPU decides to change the player you're controlling at the most inopportune moments, which regularly results in sending your players in completely the wrong direction. The worst time for this to occur is when the opposing team is near your goal-line, resulting you accidentally moving the goalie and leaving the goal wide open.

The second big issue I had with the game was that, until you upgrade your team, you will play many games against other teams that are grossly overpowered compared to yours. These games end up being less about winning and more about minimising just how bad a loss you will suffer. When the teams are evenly matched then the game can be completely thrilling, but it remains extremely frustrating until that point.

Despite problems, Speedball 2 deserves it's status one of the classic games in the Amiga library. (Cut & Paste from the attached youtube channel)

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
One of the greatest and most memorable touches is the cries of "Ice-cream! Ice-cream" from the vendor in the stands.

And was EXACTLY what I said as soon as I opened the thread and saw the topic.

I loved this game, between this and sensible soccer I don't think I played much else on my Amiga.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
carmageddon-caratula-cd-1.jpg

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
If video gaming has taught me anything there’s something behind this wall.

6AA309B4-5DDB-4799-957E-059A0046A45D.jpeg

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
And was EXACTLY what I said as soon as I opened the thread and saw the topic.

I loved this game, between this and sensible soccer I don't think I played much else on my Amiga.

Ditto.

And when you think about the gameplay it was revolutionary and shaped many more modern sports sims. If only the internet had existed beyond geeks back then they could have monetised the training of players and made an absolute killing.

I loved this game but was terrible at it. The overhead parallax scrolling was so different and fluid compared to all other games in its genre other than Sensi.

My top five Amiga games were:

SWOS
Kick off
Premier Manager 2
Speedball2
Championship Manager 93/94

Nobby Horton's Knob

Aug 4, 2019
Portsmuff
Im going to throw 'Stunt Car Racer' into the mix. Amiga 500 circa 1991. Looked awful graphically but very playable. By tthe legendary Geoff Crammond.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For those missing football I give you the Speedball 2 season circa 1990.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyX4BPU-Bao

Despite problems, Speedball 2 deserves it's status one of the classic games in the Amiga library. (Cut & Paste from the attached youtube channel)

Oh I loves me a bit of Speedball 2.

I'm currently working my way through the original Sonic, but now that might need to go on the back burner!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I played way way too much Dungeon Master on the Atari ST. Although strictly speaking not from the 90's, it was released in 1987 and had one or two follow-ups.

dungeon-master-atari-st.png

Speedball 2? I became so enraged with that game that I tried to throw my computer out of my bedroom window. Luckily the leads were so entangled that they slowed my rage down somewhat and my effort hit part of the partially opened window. When I relaxed a little, I was glad I hadn't wrecked my machine. However, I snapped the floppy for Speedball 2 as I thought it would help me remain calm. Unfortunately that was no good solution because my annoying brother went out the next day and repurchased it.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
My mate and I have regular ice hockey watching/gaming evenings and Speedball is one of our go-to games. So easy to pick up and play but a hell of a lot of fun.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I cannot believe how good graphics have got and how realistic I thought the old shit was!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
I played way way too much Dungeon Master on the Atari ST. Although strictly speaking not from the 90's, it was released in 1987 and had one or two follow-ups.

View attachment 122853

Speedball 2? I became so enraged with that game that I tried to throw my computer out of my bedroom window. Luckily the leads were so entangled that they slowed my rage down somewhat and my effort hit part of the partially opened window. When I relaxed a little, I was glad I hadn't wrecked my machine. However, I snapped the floppy for Speedball 2 as I thought it would help me remain calm. Unfortunately that was no good solution because my annoying brother went out the next day and repurchased it.

Oh wow, yes! I played this a stupid amount too, as well as later on I played Captive (very similar)...

My favourite though has to be Starquake...

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
My personal favourite was Turrican 2.

A simple 2d platform shooter, but in those days, looked amazing, sounded amazing and had a fabulous range of weapons

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Honourable mentions to the Lotus Esprit Turbo challenge games, Supercars 2, Kick off 2 and the New Zealand Story

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here