Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Inane, funny or plain stupid questions by reporters

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Watching the local TV news this evening, an article covering the rise in speeding during the shut down, the reporter asked the Chief Super of the Police, if as result of speeding someone had an accident and was seriously injured or killed, how would it affect the family?

There's been so many stupid questions recently I now watch the news, just to laugh at the most idiotic.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Watching the local TV news this evening, an article covering the rise in speeding during the shut down, the reporter asked the Chief Super of the Police, if as result of speeding someone had an accident and was seriously injured or killed, how would it affect the family?

There's been so many stupid questions recently I now watch the news, just to laugh at the most idiotic.

You are Donald Trump and I claim my £5

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
A few weeks ago on Mothers Day and BBC reporter interviewing a Florist.

Florist: It's been the worst we've ever known it !.

Reporter: Why's that ?

FFS !!!:ffsparr:

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
I was going to start a new thread on this but thought I'd better search first.

Mine was going to specifically be about football reporters asking often overly long questions to make themselves look insightful when in fact they have bloody obvious answers! You can often see the disdain and boredom envelope a player's or manager's face as they're asking it. They even often give an answer that's irrelevant to the question because it was so obvious and boring, just to give more genuine insight to the viewer.

Reporter: "So Graham, bearing in mind other teams around us are dropping points and Brighton's precarious position in the league, how vital was it that we saw that game out with a draw and a valuable point?"

Sometimes I wish they'd treat the question with the contempt it deserves and embarrass the reporter.

GP: "Quite vital, yes..."

Reporter: "Erm..."

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
On the day after HMS Sheffield was sunk in the Falklands war, a tv reporter stood outside HMS Nelson in Pompey, and was asking matelots how they felt about the sinking, and subsequent loss of life.
A friend of mine was interviewed, funnily enough, they never used his 2 minute rant , packed with expletives and, shall we say, nautical language.
The reporter left immediately afterwards.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Obviously it depends on the circumstances, but sometimes asking the most boring/obvious question gets an unexpected response because the interviewee is (arguably quite rightly) pished off at having to answer a boring/obvious question. But it catches them off their guard and they might end up revealing something they didn't mean to, or go down an avenue that then leads to more interesting follow-up questions. To be honest, some of the answers that reporters get are so far removed from the question (Trumpo being a CLASSIC case in point), that they sometimes might as well as the obvious questions...

I know that sounds a bit 'sitting on the fence-y', but having watched many people interview and interviewed people hundreds of times, I completely get why reporters do it. Sometimes. I'm with you on the long, rambling questions though, [MENTION=41057]m@goo[/MENTION]. I was once listening to TalkShite and an Alan Brazil (I think) question was about five minutes :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Peston is the Daddy in this field.

Plus, any question starting "How important........?"

How can you quantify how important....1 to 10?

Indeed.

Also....

In my game (science, man and boy, 40 years, hardest game in the world), we compare the effect of a drug with a placebo using a statistical test, and if there is a drug effect this is identified if the maths shows the difference in the numbers is statistically significant. For anyone to give a shit, this also needs to be biologically significant (i.e., a statistically significant one ounce reduction in body weight is not bloody biologically significant, is it?). Also, significance is binary - an effect is either significant or not (with a probability threshold for making the decision set beforehand - usually p<0.05).

So it grinds my gears when a daft interviewer asks 'How significant do you think it was that Pogba was left on the bench again?'
I normally scream sonething like "Faaaakin p<0.05, you ****!"

Maybe it's just me :shrug:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The reporter asking Mike Gatting where the ball hit him :
mike-gatting-nose-break-583.jpg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Mine was going to specifically be about football reporters asking often overly long questions to make themselves look insightful when in fact they have bloody obvious answers! You can often see the disdain and boredom envelope a player's or manager's face as they're asking it. They even often give an answer that's irrelevant to the question because it was so obvious and boring, just to give more genuine insight to the viewer.

Reporter: "So Graham, bearing in mind other teams around us are dropping points and Brighton's precarious position in the league, how vital was it that we saw that game out with a draw and a valuable point?"

Sometimes I wish they'd treat the question with the contempt it deserves and embarrass the reporter.

Did no one watch Klopp's interview last night? He basically told Geoff Shreeves he was making no sense at all :lolol:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

I often thought that one of our recent managers - Oscar Garcia - in his own quiet way did a very good line in looking at reporters or interviewers as if to say "Why are you asking me such a blxxdy stupid question?"

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Mourinho is great at dealing with this.

Has a permanently bored look on his face and just provides autocue answers. It’s the one thing I like about him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Amanda Holden on This Morning asking Tim Peake whether he'd brought any moon rock back from the ISS with him wasn't one of her finer moments.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Indeed.

Also....

In my game (science, man and boy, 40 years, hardest game in the world), we compare the effect of a drug with a placebo using a statistical test, and if there is a drug effect this is identified if the maths shows the difference in the numbers is statistically significant. For anyone to give a shit, this also needs to be biologically significant (i.e., a statistically significant one ounce reduction in body weight is not bloody biologically significant, is it?). Also, significance is binary - an effect is either significant or not (with a probability threshold for making the decision set beforehand - usually p<0.05).

So it grinds my gears when a daft interviewer asks 'How significant do you think it was that Pogba was left on the bench again?'
I normally scream sonething like "Faaaakin p<0.05, you ****!"

Maybe it's just me :shrug:

Frankie Fishlips "we've all got flippers, oh! just me"...

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Not by a reporter, but a VAT inspector. A farmer client was having a VAT inspection of his books, and the inspector asked how it was that the farm had 80 sheep in stock at the start of the year and 100 at the end of the year, when the records showed he hadn't bought any sheep.

He was given a brief explanation about birds and bees, and left shortly afterwards.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Anything Robert Peston says. I'm not sure anyone's stayed awake long enough to hear the end of one of his questions

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here