Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Jerry Garcia / The Grateful Dead - where to start?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton

So, this song was recommended to me and is truly beautiful (esp the solo from 3min 45) - but i know Jerry Garcia and the Grateful Dead released a shed load of stuff.

Any recommendations where to start?

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
herecomesaregular;932817 3 said:

So, this song was recommended to me and is truly beautiful (esp the solo from 3min 45) - but i know Jerry Garcia and the Grateful Dead released many shed loads of stuff.

Any recommendations where to start?

Edited for you !

Start with "Workingman's Dead" or "Anthem of the Sun", "Blues for Allah" is good or any of the 1000s of live albums out there when they can stretch out into very long versions.
Jerry Garcia's solo stuff is pretty decent too especially "Cats under the stars" or "Run for the roses".

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Every year or so they release a bunch of live recordings, they call it "30 Days of Dead" and each day another track is made available. Blumming fabulous stuff, highly recommended.

https://www.dead.net/30daysofdead

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I was really into West Coast bands but never warmed to the very highly rated Dead. From the OP’s post it reminds me why I wasn’t a fan. That is a very vocally insipid version and Dylan and dare I say this is also a much better version ( granted the Dead’s instrumental parts are good!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-sdCTq_2Yk

Apologies if you see this a thread hijack

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Edited for you !

Start with "Workingman's Dead" or "Anthem of the Sun", "Blues for Allah" is good or any of the 1000s of live albums out there when they can stretch out into very long versions.
Jerry Garcia's solo stuff is pretty decent too especially "Cats under the stars" or "Run for the roses".

This! Skeletons from the Closet is a GD approved compilation and a good intro.

Jerry Garcia's blue grass stuff is also pretty good. A great version of wild horses.

Saw them at Wembley, fantastic. :banana:

After you've gone through all the GD stuff, try Frank Zappa. The lock down will be over by the time you finish :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here