Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should commercial delivery drivers be re-routed to the NHS?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Here's a list of things I can get / have had delivered over the last month:

Takeaway, children's toys, books, fresh pub beer and pork scratchings, organic eggs, croissants, a wedding anniversary gift from my mother, an anniversary card and wine. And, while I haven't taken advantage of it, I could have got M&S food delivered from the garage on the seafront by Deliveroo drivers who seem to think "social distancing" is something in a Sci Fi movie.

Here's a list of things I cannot get delivered even though I'm self isolating and have been advised they are essential:

Prescription drugs.

The reason given is high demand, which is not surprising in the current climate so this is in no way a dig at NHS key workers. However, when you are self isolating or shielding these are surely the things you need most. Now, it's likely that the vulnerable and shielders are being prioritised and I've found a mate who'll collect my prescription so that's all good, but how much better would it be if we diverted a few of these frivolous Deliveroo scooters to go deliver drugs for the NHS instead? Seems barking that commercial deliveries are easier than medical ones. Do you really need that organic ready meal or bottle of wine?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Do the NHS need more drivers? I personally know of a taxi driver in Havant who has been seconded to the NHS, and military drivers the same.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria

Takeaway, children's toys, books, fresh pub beer and pork scratchings, organic eggs, croissants, a wedding anniversary gift from my mother, an anniversary card and wine. And, while I haven't taken advantage of it, I could have got M&S food delivered from the garage on the seafront by Deliveroo drivers who seem to think "social distancing" is something in a Sci Fi movie.

Here's a list of things I cannot get delivered even though I'm self isolating and have been advised they are essential:

Prescription drugs.

The reason given is high demand, which is not surprising in the current climate so this is in no way a dig at NHS key workers. However, when you are self isolating or shielding these are surely the things you need most. Now, it's likely that the vulnerable and shielders are being prioritised and I've found a mate who'll collect my prescription so that's all good, but how much better would it be if we diverted a few of these frivolous Deliveroo scooters to go deliver drugs for the NHS instead? Seems barking that commercial deliveries are easier than medical ones. Do you really need that organic ready meal or bottle of wine?

One of the roles of the newly created NHS volunteers is to deliver prescriptions to those in isolation. However, the system is not being utilised much, apparently because pharmacies, the vulnerable, etc. aren’t aware of the service or how to generate alerts to volunteers. There are 750,000 volunteers, but only 50,000 alerts have been generated in four weeks.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Prescription drugs.

There are 750,000 registered volunteers through GoodSam, vast majority it seems haven't been given a job to do ye - it's exactly the kind of thing the scheme was set up for ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
There are 750,000 registered volunteers through GoodSam, vast majority it seems haven't been given a job to do ye - it's exactly the kind of thing the scheme was set up for ?

I think the GoodSam and additional Nightingale Hospitals were all set up to have extra resources if required given that in Spain, Italy and France their health services nearly broke.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Considering what we are being told at the mo I’d say no....and think of all that VAT, income tax..corporation tax (hopefully) that will be collected to help pay for everything ....we might only need 300 billion this quarter

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think the GoodSam and additional Nightingale Hospitals were all set up to have extra resources if required given that in Spain, Italy and France their health services nearly broke.

Yes, but anyone isolated and needing a prescription picked up can call the service and someone will get assigned to do it. I've had one call so far in 3 weeks (from someone who need some shopping done)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
What the reason you can't get a prescription delivered just out of interest?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
What the reason you can't get a prescription delivered just out of interest?

Long story, most of which is on the "have you had C19" thread, but I had to call my GP this morning to get assessed following a 111 call. She, and the 111 all agreed I had a bacterial chest infection and she prescribed amoxicillin. But both docs had told me to self isolate, just in case. There is a pharmacy attached to the surgery, and a big sign saying do not enter if you have a cough.

So, I asked if the drugs could be delivered and the GP told me flat out to get a friend to collect them. I said why and she muttered they were "too busy" with "lots of over 70s". So I texted a mate who will collect them and leave them on my doorstep.

No biggie, it just frustrated me that I saw these Deliveroo guys hanging around outside M&S not doing anything and yet there are clearly too many delivery requests to my surgery for them to cope.

I think they probably could have managed it if they'd had to BTW but took her obfuscation and insistence on using a friend as she didn't think of me as a priority.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Prescription drugs.

As far as prescription drugs are concerned what’s wrong with using Pharmacy2U?

The Royal Mail deliver the package.?
Edit just seen your above post, Inwas recently on Amoxicillin for an abscess in my gums, good luck with the side effects....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
One of the roles of the newly created NHS volunteers is to deliver prescriptions to those in isolation. However, the system is not being utilised much, apparently because pharmacies, the vulnerable, etc. aren’t aware of the service or how to generate alerts to volunteers. There are 750,000 volunteers, but only 50,000 alerts have been generated in four weeks.

200 hours I’ve volunteered so far, not a single job.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Edit just seen your above post, Inwas recently on Amoxicillin for an abscess in my gums, good luck with the side effects....

They didn't mention that as an option but she wants me to start on them today. Royal Mail are on 3-4 days for first class. Chest x Ray is next step if they don't work. And, yeah, looking forward to the shits....not...:sick:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
They didn't mention that as an option but she wants me to start on them today. Royal Mail are on 3-4 days for first class. Chest x Ray is next step if they don't work. And, yeah, looking forward to the shits....not...:sick:

I don’t like you but I wish you well for your recovery [emoji23][emoji106]

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

That's what I thought one of the volunteer roles was. Weird that the GP was insistent they couldn't cope.

I was going to volunteer once this shite shifts as I'm pretty sure I've had CV19 and I would happily collect drugs and shopping for people. Not sure there's any point from what you've said?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I've been sent several mailings from Pharmacy2U, but won't use them because I want to make sure we keep a local chemist in the town. Our chemist has a notice on their counter saying Keep chemists local.
At the moment we still have two chemists in Newhaven, but rumours are that Boots are going to close. I want to support our local chemist.
I am lucky insomuch as my other half, or a neighbour would collect for me, but also our chemist does their own deliveries should I ever get to that stage.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I've been sent several mailings from Pharmacy2U, but won't use them because I want to make sure we keep a local chemist in the town. Our chemist has a notice on their counter saying Keep chemists local.
At the moment we still have two chemists in Newhaven, but rumours are that Boots are going to close. I want to support our local chemist.
I am lucky insomuch as my other half, or a neighbour would collect for me, but also our chemist does their own deliveries should I ever get to that stage.

Are you saying that I’m wrong for advocating the use of Pharmacy2U?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
forwarding the suggestion to Deliveroo, Boots, Lloyds, etc might be fruitful? though use of local volunteers would be more suitable, if they can get a process up and running.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here