Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Calling any plumbers

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I had an upstairs extension built 10 years ago, the bathroom sink drain and toilet go down a stack pipe outside.

On top of the stack pipe is an air admittance valve. The valve spring appears ok but very occasionally I notice a sewery smell, the wife never notices it.

Can these valves go wrong?? I guess maybe not opening to vent when required??

Would it hurt if I propped open the vent until I can get a new one ??

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I had an upstairs extension built 10 years ago, the bathroom sink drain and toilet go down a stack pipe outside.

On top of the stack pipe is an air admittance valve. The valve spring appears ok but very occasionally I notice a sewery smell, the wife never notices it.

Can these valves go wrong?? I guess maybe not opening to vent when required??

Would it hurt if I propped open the vent until I can get a new one ??

Does the soil pipe terminate inside or outside?

Yes the air admittance valve can go wrong.

It wouldn't hurt if you popped open the vent, but if it's inside your property ( loft ) the smell will be horrendous.
If it's outside you don't really want a bird going into the pipe, unlikely to happen but it's best to have something on the top.

Air admittance valves were originally designed to be fitted inside a property, loft or a pipe casing.
I'm sure one company did start making them to go outside, but I'm not sure if other manufacturers have now followed suit.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

It wouldn't hurt if you popped open the vent, but if it's inside your property ( loft ) the smell will be horrendous.
If it's outside you don't really want a bird going into the pipe, unlikely to happen but it's best to have something on the top.

Air admittance valves were originally designed to be fitted inside a property, loft or a pipe casing.
I'm sure one company did start making them to go outside, but I'm not sure if other manufacturers have now followed suit.
I thought you could use them inside and out, I put one on mine when the roof was getting done last year!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I thought you could use them inside and out, I put one on mine when the roof was getting done last year!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

image.jpg

From Screwfix.

Years ago the valves were not designed to go outside ( ask Simmo Says )
Some people did start to fit them outside because they didn't want to take the soil and vent up to the correct height. ( not me of course)

Best to check manufacturers instructions for correct answer.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003

The soil pipe connects to the main sewer outside.
As a feed into the stack pipe is the sink drain and the toilet drain with the air admittance valve about 10” above the toilet connection.
Then a fall of probably 10 feet below ground into the main drain..
I can’t see how pressure can build up in that pipe to open the valve ???
I’ve propped it open with a small stone for now.
So it’s permanently venting

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The soil pipe connects to the main sewer outside.
As a feed into the stack pipe is the sink drain and the toilet drain with the air admittance valve about 10” above the toilet connection.
Then a fall of probably 10 feet below ground into the main drain..
I can’t see how pressure can build up in that pipe to open the valve ???
I’ve propped it open with a small stone for now.
So it’s permanently venting

Without checking building regulations I'm sure the valve ( if fitted inside or outside ) should be higher than 10 inches above the WC connection, I thought it had to be higher than the basin.
I also thought if the valve actually fails the water in the toilet will not drain properly when flushed.

Noticed the smell in the bathroom

Tried my nose by the sink drain and that seemed ok

The smell may be from the toilet pan connector, if not original fitted 100% some lime scale can get onto the seal after a while. You may not see any water leaking but it may not be air tight.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Without checking building regulations I'm sure the valve ( if fitted inside or outside ) should be higher than 10 inches above the WC connection, I thought it had to be higher than the basin.
I also thought if the valve actually fails the water in the toilet will not drain properly when flushed.

The smell may be from the toilet pan connector, if not original fitted 100% some lime scale can get onto the seal after a while. You may not see any water leaking but it may not be air tight.

It passed all building regs when it was built I still the certs from the buildings inspector..

Looking at other extensions around here all the drain/stack pipes appear to be the same height.

Thanks for your help...

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003

I will have a look at that ..... good idea !!!

I have some algematting ( spelling )tape that I could wrap around it or do u have other suggestions??

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I will have a look at that ..... good idea !!!

I have some algematting ( spelling )tape that I could wrap around it or do u have other suggestions??

I would change the pan connector if accessible and you are confident of doing this, if not try your tape.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As there are plumbers on here a quick question:

We got a new boiler in April 2019 which was due it's one year anniversary check this month, We had an email from the supplier saying they couldn't fulfil the check (obviously) but that manufacturers would "probably" be fine with the delay. They also said they are covering emergencies only.

In the unlikely event it does go wrong before the check, who is legally liable for costs and how would you expect your customer to socially distance? Open the door and wait in another room?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
As there are plumbers on here a quick question:

We got a new boiler in April 2019 which was due it's one year anniversary check this month, We had an email from the supplier saying they couldn't fulfil the check (obviously) but that manufacturers would "probably" be fine with the delay. They also said they are covering emergencies only.

In the unlikely event it does go wrong before the check, who is legally liable for costs and how would you expect your customer to socially distance? Open the door and wait in another room?

If the boiler does go wrong and let's say you have no hot water, or a leaking boiler, maybe this would be an emergency call out.
If the manufacturer can't come out for the above I don't actually know who is liable for costs, I suppose they can only answer the question.

I have been doing a few urgent jobs since lockdown, only small repairs, and the customers have either gone outside or to another room.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Speaking of plumbers, don't suppose any of you fancy a call out in Worthing?
The cold on the basin tap has stopped working in my bathroom, maybe new set of taps?
I can easily not be in when work needs doing, and can send photo of similiar taps to get.
Thanks if poss

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here