Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] How do you get on with your immediate neighbours?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have had problems with a couple over the years, some right ********s in fact. I like to think of myself as reasonable (in fairness don’t we all :smile:) but wanky neighbours really wind me up and cause so much stress.

Currently all good although I hardly speak to any of them.

My experience is that things can deteriorate very quickly once there’s any confrontation

I imagine problems can escalate very quickly in the current circumstances.

How do YOU get on with yours? Are you mates, tolerate each other, ignore them apart from pleasantries?

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
On one side mine are wankers. Controlling and slightly mental.

I posted their latest escapade on the "bellcheeses in the supermarket thread" where basically they reserved an open, on the street parking space for themselves with their recycle bins when she went off to the shops, only for the recycling van to turn up to collect. Having been told it couldn't be emptied from the road by the bin man, hubby ignored social distancing and confronted him. They've also complained our kids spend "too much time in the garden" even though they have two kids who are out in theirs all day.

To cover up there's a constant pretending to be something else and passive/aggressive Facebook posts. I started off nicknaming the Mrs "Hyacinth" but have now moved on to "Big Ben" as she's got more faces.

Ones on the other side and opposite us are diamonds though and we get on fantastically. I think that winds them up even more.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
I'm a very tolerant person,now

so no problems

feel really sorry for my parents neighbours though
espscially after I purchased Never Mind The Bollocks :lol:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Used to have a right Jeremy Kyle family living below me, none of them worked. Thick as shit boyfriend. Fat, chain smoking, pregnant girlfriend. Whinging next generation kids, useless mates that sat on the steps all day. I had it out with him eventually when his music was vibrating things off shelves. Things got better after that then he done a runner. 5 years later theres still debt collector letters being delivered below. Rumour has it he has a nice big council house in Seaford now.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My neighbours on both sides are great, which is a huge shame.

It's unlikely to have 3 disparate families and none of them be w**kers. :down:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
So far, lucky. But on one side they’re moving once the covid crisis is over, so it’s a wait and see.

I’d literally move house if we lived next to selfish, noisy scummers with a constantly barking dog. Yes I know they ‘win’, but I like some tranquility, life’s too short.

Not to me, but I’ve seen incredibly sly stuff with fence positioning eg people stealing a few feet if the boundary is behind thick shrubbery and/or waiting for neighbours to be on holiday to have a new fence put up a foot or tow or three on their innocent neighbours land. A civil law matter, people have have spent many £10,000’s on these boundary disputes.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
These days no problem which is all the more appreciated when I think back to my previous house. It was a semi and on the other side of the party wall lived a couple who were rather odd and had a thing about the noise coming from our place. (Never an issue any place we'd lived previously.) It got to a point when it got a bit nasty after which all sides camled down. But we were always on edge and could never really relax. Eventually we moved and by a complete coincidence they decided to move at the very same time. Not only that but we were both after the same house and entered into a bit of a bidding war. They 'won' but let's say the price was a bit higher than they really wanted...…….

When you've had probs in the past with your neighbours but then live happily alongside the your current ones, it does make you think twice about another move. We're staying put.

Soylent Blue

Banned
Mar 13, 2019
Mine are OK now, where I lived previously had a batshit crazy lady living next door. One of a litany of examples I could give was she sent her friend round to enquire if we had recently got wifi because she has recently started getting headaches and she was" electrosensitive". I replied weve had wifi for 18 months so it couldn't be that. She sent her friend round because I struggle not to swear at her at times. But problem gone now.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
One side marvellous , other side God awful ! On the bad side of me the couples daughter has had her BF come an pick her up and take her food shopping, so numerous breaches of social distancing rules. Also father and daughter extremely territorial about parking right outside their house ( it's a narrow road of terraced houses ) and he will often move his car to block off two spaces if his daughter goes out in her car and he will then dash out and reverse his back to let her back in. Recently the BF arrived, father moved his car out and off lord knows where so BF could park his car outside the house.... he came in to their house for an hour or so then left with the daughter, father had already gone to get his car so as soon as BF pulled out he put his car back in the prestige spot.... hilariously, BF and daughter return to house, daughter gets out of BF's car then gets her car out of her parking spot.... BF then parks in said parking spot.... BF then gets in to daughters car and drives off alone while daughter goes back in to house ?

Amazing fun, plus father and mother are massive pissheads and quite often the recycling bin lid can't be closed because of the huge amounts of crushed beer cans in it.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
One side, a 98 year old woman, don't see her much nowadays, the other side a woman in her 70's. Get on alright but I'm very easy going anyway

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
One side marvellous , other side God awful ! On the bad side of me the couples daughter has had her BF come an pick her up and take her food shopping, so numerous breaches of social distancing rules. Also father and daughter extremely territorial about parking right outside their house ( it's a narrow road of terraced houses ) and he will often move his car to block off two spaces if his daughter goes out in her car and he will then dash out and reverse his back to let her back in. Recently the BF arrived, father moved his car out and off lord knows where so BF could park his car outside the house.... he came in to their house for an hour or so then left with the daughter, father had already gone to get his car so as soon as BF pulled out he put his car back in the prestige spot.... hilariously, BF and daughter return to house, daughter gets out of BF's car then gets her car out of her parking spot.... BF then parks in said parking spot.... BF then gets in to daughters car and drives off alone while daughter goes back in to house ?

Amazing fun, plus father and mother are massive pissheads and quite often the recycling bin lid can't be closed because of the huge amounts of crushed beer cans in it.

The parking thing in general has been going for many decades now. I lived in a flat a mile from the centre of Brighton from the late 80’s to mid 90’s. Even then, people made the car shuffles you describe. The anal part was that (pointlessly) some people liked their non-expensive car to be parked precisely outside their particular Regency converted block. One car away wasn’t good enough. Resulting in some residents literally running from their flat when the prized space became available.

What a way to live .... peeking out from a window for hours at a time.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Both our neighbours are very nice, no problems whatsoever.
Next but one neighbour looks like Clancy Wiggums wife, lives on her own and slams her front door to the point of the making our house shudder, all because of someone parking in her 'spare / visitors space' :mad:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Have never had a problem with neighbours yet, which is a blessing. Prior to lockdown, there was the distinct possibility that one of our neighbours would be our new MP, but that may not be happening now. We shall see.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There's a definite parking space theme emerging :lolol:

When you've had probs in the past with your neighbours but then live happily alongside the your current ones, it does make you think twice about another move. We're staying put.

Indeed. Our previous house was smaller and on a busy road and we had to move when my daughter came along as we needed one more bedroom. However, at that place we had a young couple on one side who played with our kids and were smashing and a family we got on with on the other who used to have a lot of parties and poker nights that we got invited to. The parties would have been a bit much had they gone on late but they had kids too so they were more family friendly, timing wise. The poker nights were ace. I really miss our old neighbours.

In fact, the only incident I can recall happened after one of these parties when the Mrs took our kids home early and I stayed for a couple more beers. I returned home and went to bed, only to need a wazz in the night. There was a landing window on the side of our house that overlooked their conservatory. I stuck on the landing light and my eyes were drawn to the fact they were still in the conservatory and, in fact, enjoying one another au facon de chien

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I’d literally move house if we lived next to selfish, noisy scummers with a constantly barking dog. Yes I know they ‘win’, but I like some tranquility, life’s too short.

We moved from our last house because of people like that.
It was either have a war or put up with them, I had 2 young kids at the time and my Mrs wouldn't have been impressed with me fighting in the street.
I knew my wife was getting really fed up with them and a nice house came on the market nearby, so we bought it.
I have only got one neighbour at this house and we get on fine.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
We're on the 14th floor of a a private apartment block.... all supposed to be wealthy and highly educated.

Also we are having kids and elderly totally locked down here and everyone on l-d at weekends.

That said, the family next door to us and the next family down went at it last saturday night... the two husbands fighting in the corridors and the wives and kids screaming.

Really spoilt our telly watching :angry:

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
All pretty friendly and civilised in our small street. Next door neighbour got a bit OTT as part of a vine was growing over the fence into his garden and said I should have noticed and cut it down! Later asked if I would go halves on his fence repairs told him it’s was his party wall, probably would have paid if he had not been such a prat previously. Wife is very friendly.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There's a definite parking space theme emerging :lolol:/I]

Our neighbours on one side have three cars as do we but fortunately we have a drive so luckily don’t need to fight for car parking space. Although there is plenty of on street parking available. I am now waiting for [MENTION=15363]Plooks[/MENTION] to pop along and judge and abuse me for having a garden AND a drive! :wink:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Live in flats and very fortunate to be on good terms with all the neighbours. Probably because the more I don't like someone the more polite I am to them. I think that's an English thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here