Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coronavirus: Cummings Attended Meetings Of Key Scientific group

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Aplogies if this already appears buried somewhere deep in the Coronavirus C*** thread...

'Coronavirus: Cummings attended meetings of key scientific group'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52421744

Pretty sure the psycho Giant Brain will have reported back to his keepers along the lines of 'so what if a few old people die?' just to reinforce the pyscho Giant Brain's original thoughts on the matter :shrug:

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Cummings was at the meeting that led to the lockdown? So Cummings may have influenced that decision? Therefore the scientists disagreed and didn't want lockdown? Or did they want it and so got their wishes?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Aplogies if this already appears buried somewhere deep in the Coronavirus C*** thread...

'Coronavirus: Cummings attended meetings of key scientific group'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52421744

Pretty sure the psycho Giant Brain will have reported back to his keepers along the lines of 'so what if a few old people die?' just to reinforce the pyscho Giant Brain's original thoughts on the matter :shrug:

Some will say it's not important but for me it adds to the feeling that the government was guiding the science rather than the other way round.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I suspect that people who voted anyone but Tory will be outraged. Equally, those that voted Tory will not be bothered.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I can't envisage how a Political Advisor would contribute anything at all to a Group who's role is stated as :

'SAGE is responsible for ensuring that timely and coordinated scientific advice is made available to decision makers to support UK cross-government decisions in the Cabinet Office Briefing Room (COBR). The advice provided by SAGE does not represent official government policy.'

Although I could see how having a Political Advisor influence 'the timely and coordinated scientific advice made available to decision makers' to ensure it supports political decisions could be very useful indeed ???

Last edited:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
"Guided by the Science" now means "Guided by Cummings".

It's all so predictable now.

No one ever resigns, democracy repeatedly nudged by targeted messaging based on personal data harvesting.

No point in being bothered. We get what we are given. Best just to focus now on what the individual can change on a personal basis.

Jimmy Grimble

In today’s press conference, Stephen Powis dodged the question as to whether Cummings contributed to the discussions at SAGE meetings.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It could be bad, or it could be fine.

Yes, he could be there, telling them what to say.
On the other hand, he might be there simply to learn, so he has a good understanding of what the scientists are saying, and how confident they are about the data they're presenting.

I don't think we can judge purely based on the fact he's there.

I didn't vote Tory.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing

On the other hand, he might be there simply to learn, so he has a good understanding of what the scientists are saying, and how confident they are about the data they're presenting.

I didn't vote Tory.

I agree. Don't scientists attend COBRA meetings on CV? If so it makes sense that govt reps attend Sage.
I didn't vote for them either.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I didn't vote Tory.

Bearing in mind Cummings reputation and involvement, hand on heart, do you think he is there to purely learn or do you think he is there to see how it can be manipulated?

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
So, what is the implication of having these guys attending Sage? Are they going to bring back, and put forward to govt, a proposition that was never agreed? Are they going to bully the group into agreement with their way of thinking? Perhaps they'll find a 'tame' scientist and get him to put something forward that Sage hadn't agreed and then the govt would go with it? Can anybody see these plans working? I could only if everyone was in fear of their jobs, and this was the USA.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I agree. Don't scientists attend COBRA meetings on CV? If so it makes sense that govt reps attend Sage.
I didn't vote for them either.

All sorts of Experts attend COBR meetings to give Expert Analysis as and when required, some of whom are Scientific.

The two people in question aren't appointed experts in any field, neither are they 'govt reps'. They are Political Advisors, something completely and entirely different to both experts and government representatives. (I can just imagine the reaction of Government representatives on being grouped with Political Advisors :lolol:).

The three groups (quite rightly) have very clearly clearly defined roles and input/influence into very different areas, hence the fact that this is being bought up.

Last edited:

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
All sorts of Experts attend COBR meetings to give Expert Analysis as and when required, some of whom are Scientific.

The two people in question aren't appointed experts in any field, neither are they 'govt reps'. They are Political Advisors, something completely and entirely different to both experts and government representatives.

Surely these people are representing the government when they attend the meetings. If not then can anyone attend?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here