Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Brighton Centre Five/Six A Side Tournament’s 1980’s

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Anybody remember these ?

Couldn’t remember if it was 5 or 6 a side !

Used to have County league teams playing a tournament and if I remember rightly an Exhibition game between Brighton and another league team ?

I went to a couple, pretty sure brighton played Southampton and another year Spurs ???

For some reason I remember Arundel winning one of the tournaments?

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yep, I remember going to one of those! Think it was 6-a-side. Brighton game on at the end? Would have been late 80s I reckon.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Was 6 a side. Good fun and the brighton game was at the end I definitely saw charlton

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Used to absolutely love it.

Players like Glen Geard and big Herbie Smith, the stars.

I rememeber these very well, they were great days. Knockout 6 a side format for local teams and one year, after the two semi finals, an Albion team played a match against Brighton Tigers (at football, not ice hockey!)

To things struck me about the ice hockey guys. First, how small they looked without their normal padding and second how well they used the boards, playing passes of them as they did when playing hockey. Albion players couldn't cope with that!

And in one game I remember Bill Cassidy taking a free kick with his head!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
In its inaugural year an exhibition match between Albion and Southampton ended in a brawl between Neil McNab and Alan Ball with a few other players joining in. Whitehawk used to put out a strong side.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
In its inaugural year an exhibition match between Albion and Southampton ended in a brawl between Neil McNab and Alan Ball with a few other players joining in. Whitehawk used to put out a strong side.

I was there at that one. That game was quite entertaining as it was obvious throughout that something had gone on earlier and McNab was out to nail Ball. Boiled over and a ruck started. Peter Ward also played in that if I remember right. Dislocated his finger and had it put back in straight away. Went very white while he had it done. Funny how I remember all this shite yet forget what I had for my dinner yesterday!

Rock Lobster

Dec 2, 2010
Hastings
Saw this today on twitter, programme from the 1981 competition...

[Tweet]1261935645259431937[/Tweet]

Gareth Barrys' uncle No.3 for Hastings. Is Mark Dunk in the Whitehawk team Lewis's father? (Edit: A quick Google suggests it is)

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Saw this today on twitter, programme from the 1981 competition...

[Tweet]1261935645259431937[/Tweet]

Gareth Barrys' uncle No.3 for Hastings. Is Mark Dunk in the Whitehawk team Lewis's father? (Edit: A quick Google suggests it is)

DiQT-WRX4AIt9O1.jpg

I was there supporting Sidley Utd :)

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I had a programme or two from this from the late Eighties. Sadly, they got chucked during a recent clear out.

I do remember going a couple of times and seeing the likes of John Crumplin and Ian Chapman turn out for the Albion. I'm sure we had a side in the main competition one year.

Langley Sports always seemed to be a strong*side.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here