Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Living on your own in lockdown

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Yes that’s me - won’t lie, it’s bloody tough at times ! I cycle 10 miles every morning, I work from home, get dressed as if I’m going to the office, sit at my desk, deal with idiots, have zoom meetings twice a day,which have become the highlight of my day ! The other highlight is my twice weekly excursion to the shops, ffs I couldn’t stop talking to the checkout person earlier!
I miss seeing my son, my parents and my friends.
But it’s not forever, I remain positive, but it’s tough !

How are any of you other singletons coping ?

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
Yes that’s me - won’t lie, it’s bloody tough at times ! I cycle 10 miles every morning, I work from home, get dressed as if I’m going to the office, sit at my desk, deal with idiots, have zoom meetings twice a day,which have become the highlight of my day ! The other highlight is my twice weekly excursion to the shops, ffs I couldn’t stop talking to the checkout person earlier!

A lot better until i read your post.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
My mother is 89 living on her own in a bungalow.
She only sees her grandchildren and great grandchildren on the phone or in an occasional drive by
She can’t go out for a cycle and after a month is running out of jigsaw puzzles....

So if you think your day is hard think again of the old people.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
My mother is 89 living on her own in a bungalow.
She only sees her grandchildren and great grandchildren on the phone or in an occasional drive by
She can’t go out for a cycle and after a month is running out of jigsaw puzzles....

So if you think your day is hard think again of the old people.

Will do, thanks. Apologies for being selfish. Was just feeling a bit sorry for myself. Hope your mum is ok.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Will do, thanks. Apologies for being selfish. Was just feeling a bit sorry for myself. Hope your mum is ok.

Hey Wookiee, it’s definitely not selfish! Don’t be ridiculous, our own lives are all about our own context, our own coping mechanisms. 1 person’s major source of anxiety is another persons what on earth are you worried about. The mind is perfectly capable of making mole hills very real and frightening mountains.

So even though I’m not on my own, I’ve found certain things challenging. Anyway, I’ve started up (again after dropping out of the habit) a bit of mindfulness meditation morning and evening (10 & 15mins) and a short session of yoga (yoga with Adrienne - plenty of free videos). Got to say, it has helped calm the racing thoughts the mind can hit you with. I don’t necessarily buy into all the new age stuff, but 10 mins calm and trying to empty the mind just seems logical to me).

Morning meditation

Evening

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila

She’s as good as can be expected!!
And I was not saying you are selfish..

Be careful on your bike, one of my friends was knocked off in a hit and run last Wednesday and is still in hospital with a bleed on the brain and broken ribs.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
She’s as good as can be expected!!
And I was not saying you are selfish..

Be careful on your bike, one of my friends was knocked off in a hit and run last Wednesday and is still in hospital with a bleed on the brain and broken ribs.

That is awful, hopefully they are okay. I went for a ride last night (1 hour on a loop not far from home), and coming back along the Old Shoreham Road on the dual carriage part through Southwick, no cars around, a big BMW still felt the need to pass me with about 1/2m to spare even though there were 2 lanes and no cars around. Honestly, I don't understand some people. :shrug: (I will add the vast majority seem to be considerate whether drivers, joggers, walkers, cyclists etc. just the idiots that cannot help themselves).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That is awful, hopefully they are okay. I went for a ride last night (1 hour on a loop not far from home), and coming back along the Old Shoreham Road on the dual carriage part through Southwick, no cars around, a big BMW still felt the need to pass me with about 1/2m to spare even though there were 2 lanes and no cars around. Honestly, I don't understand some people. :shrug: (I will add the vast majority seem to be considerate whether drivers, joggers, walkers, cyclists etc. just the idiots that cannot help themselves).

I am convinced that plenty of people have absolutely no idea of the width of their car and how to position it overtaking cyclists, turning into side roads or with oncoming traffic on a narrower than normal country road. I’m not sure some of the close calls I see are deliberate. There are twats who drive like dicks because they are dicks though. Not a fan of cyclists per se (there are as many dicks on bikes as there are in cars) but I always give them a very wide berth. Why take the risk of knocking someone off their bike ffs

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
This is a serious issue. I thought about it yesterday after speaking to a girl at work that went to her mum's on the lockdown announcement on the basis of 'I didn't fancy having my own reflection to talk to.'

Hang on in there. Keep posting.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I am convinced that plenty of people have absolutely no idea of the width of their car and how to position it overtaking cyclists, turning into side roads or with oncoming traffic on a narrower than normal country road. I’m not sure some of the close calls I see are deliberate. There are twats who drive like dicks because they are dicks though. Not a fan of cyclists per se (there are as many dicks on bikes as there are in cars) but I always give them a very wide berth. Why take the risk of knocking someone off their bike ffs

And I always give a big thumbsup or wave when I can sense someone being considerate, whether waiting behind me or giving me a bit of width. Share the love I say. :D

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Between this thread and the relationship one I'm feeling quite lucky.

Had taken voluntary redundancy late last year and so had had my time home alone and was just being picky about taking the right job when all this blew up and now recruitment in my field crashed and is only just starting to recover.

I live with my better half and 20-something daughter with fortnightly, split-parenting visits from my teen son.

As yet, no tensions, no dramas, we have all found a niche to be apart at time and together at others.

I am in touch with my friends via discord and everyone else here is doing the same by their preferred social media.

We have had card games with the out-laws via Tabletopia.com and I play more complex/interesting boardgames on tabletop simulator and steam.

I am the designated 'shopper' so I get out for exercise every day one way or another.

I am blessed and feel for anyone and everyone who is struggling with isolation or a difficult relationship.

Stay safe everyone.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Similar instances for us in bike rides around the Dyke roads, including some prick in a Ferrari going the best part of a ton imo. I’m with my 17 year old kid who refuses to wear a bike helmet ffs.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
And I always give a big thumbsup or wave when I can sense someone being considerate, whether waiting behind me or giving me a bit of width. Share the love I say. :D

Same here. If cycling up a steep hill and I hear a mini jam of cars building behind me, I often stop and pull over for a few seconds to allow them to pass, receiving their thanks.

Last edited:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Had a walk around stanmer park woods today, recommend bloody glorious! 20200425_133038.jpg

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Hang in there mate.

I'm lucky because I have the Mrs, the sprog and the cat for company but it's swings and roundabouts. Sometimes I wish they would all just **** off as I'm used to working from home on my own!

I know it's easy to say but look at the positives. You still have work, you don't have to deal with any dickheads in the office and there's nobody to moan at you about emptying the ****ing dishwasher. :lolol:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Stuck at home with the Mrs and two 5 year olds to entertain and educate.............you lucky git only having to worry about yourself!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Hang in there mate.

I'm lucky because I have the Mrs, the sprog and the cat for company but it's swings and roundabouts. Sometimes I wish they would all just **** off as I'm used to working from home on my own!

I know it's easy to say but look at the positives. You still have work, you don't have to deal with any dickheads in the office and there's nobody to moan at you about emptying the ****ing dishwasher. :lolol:

How are your lad and you coping without a cricket season?

I’d secretly like not travelling on our crowded roads to away matches.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here