Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Schalke

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I see Schalke have written to ST holders asking if they would be prepared to waive refunds due to them for remaining games they cant attend. How would you react to a similar request from Albion ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I see Schalke have written to ST holders asking if they would be prepared to waive refunds due to them for remaining games they cant attend. How would you react to a similar request from Albion ?

Given the way TB has reacted so far I guess I might go along with that. I’d hope all our games would be televised though

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
If they are played behind closed doors I’d want my money back for sure.

If the season is voided I’d be more open to a part refund or an incentive to not have it.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I've got a season ticket for a non league club. I assume I'm not getting any money back but would refuse/donate it back anyway. I don't think I'd feel the same if I still had my Albion one being a premier league club

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
The Albion have already said that tickets will be refunded in the form of reductions on DD payments for next season.

If we were in league one and playing at withdean, sure - i would waive my refund. But we are a premier league club that turns over millions each season, so it would be a more difficult decision.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I think it depends on the reason I can't attend. If it's that they've decided to play behind closed doors then I'd want a refund.

Much as I love the club and Tony Bloom in particular, I've had a pay cut and my wife's business has flat-lined, so I think I need the money more than them at the moment.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
The Albion have already said that tickets will be refunded in the form of reductions on DD payments for next season.

If we were in league one and playing at withdean, sure - i would waive my refund. But we are a premier league club that turns over millions each season, so it would be a more difficult decision.
This, although I haven't heard them say this, I hope they have.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Given the way TB has reacted so far I guess I might go along with that. I’d hope all our games would be televised though

You're so right given the way TB, PB & GP have behaved, although the players still leave a significant amount to be desired in my opinion. I know they have different types of contracts and commitments but the constant reference to "deferring" payments and not making it clear what they are doing sticks in my throat.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
No refund but last year's season ticket entitles you to a free pie and a pint at each game next season. (Yes, I have two Son's U18 so I'll claim their beers, they can have a free pie!)

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
For what Bloom has done for this club I doubt I'd be reaching for a pitchfork, can't see it happening but a lot of clubs less fortunate than us will have to implement drastic measures to survive.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Players wages need to be reduced to a really low level for the entirety of the lockdown period -- say a few times higher than the median wage -- before fans whose average wage/salary won't be too much more than the median wage are expected to pay towards the upkeep of the club.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
You're so right given the way TB, PB & GP have behaved, although the players still leave a significant amount to be desired in my opinion. I know they have different types of contracts and commitments but the constant reference to "deferring" payments and not making it clear what they are doing sticks in my throat.

I have been negative about the 500 or so PL players who have, generally, allowed their union to put them in a bad light, been slow to react to public sentiment etc.

However, I have come to the opinion that, whilst the clubs haven't actually lost significant sums of money (by which I mean Sky/BT haven't demanded rebates, the current season is still supposed to complete, no sponsors have pulled out of contracts, etc), this remains strictly an issue of cash flow NOT income.

The clubs will get their money in due course, it's only they have bills and wages to pay until the cash flows again. Therefore it is perfectly reasonable for players to only *defer* their wages until such time as the TV money is coming in again. I will caveat that with, ALL PL clubs should continue to pay their non-playing staff 100% of their wages (because the money they will be paid will come in eventually too).

No top tier club should be facing any sort of long term difficulty, provided the biggest cash outgoing, player wages, can be delayed until the biggest cash income, TV money, resumes in full.

If Sky/BT choose to be d*cks then this situation changes but at this stage, all players deferring salary are ok in my book.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I personally would be happy for the club to keep it if no further games were played this season, but next season being behind closed doors - that would be another matter (unless it guaranteed me a stream for all our home games). Still very unlikely as I can't see any close contact sport being played for at least a year.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I have been negative about the 500 or so PL players who have, generally, allowed their union to put them in a bad light, been slow to react to public sentiment etc.

However, I have come to the opinion that, whilst the clubs haven't actually lost significant sums of money (by which I mean Sky/BT haven't demanded rebates, the current season is still supposed to complete, no sponsors have pulled out of contracts, etc), this remains strictly an issue of cash flow NOT income.

The clubs will get their money in due course, it's only they have bills and wages to pay until the cash flows again. Therefore it is perfectly reasonable for players to only *defer* their wages until such time as the TV money is coming in again. I will caveat that with, ALL PL clubs should continue to pay their non-playing staff 100% of their wages (because the money they will be paid will come in eventually too).

No top tier club should be facing any sort of long term difficulty, provided the biggest cash outgoing, player wages, can be delayed until the biggest cash income, TV money, resumes in full.

If Sky/BT choose to be d*cks then this situation changes but at this stage, all players deferring salary are ok in my book.

I do feel there's a moral issue here also. If you earn £50,000 a week and those around are facing destitution, bankruptcy and more then I think you should be seen to do the right thing and show you care and feel some of the pain that others are, it's just the right thing to do.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I think I'd need to be of the opinion that the club needs it to stay afloat/keep non-playing staff in employment, the players have already taken VERY significant pay cuts, and the club is going to remodel its finances going forward.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I do feel there's a moral issue here also. If you earn £50,000 a week and those around are facing destitution, bankruptcy and more then I think you should be seen to do the right thing and show you care and feel some of the pain that others are, it's just the right thing to do.

Don't disagree at all in certain instances. Jenas, Rooney and Rose are all ones I would single out as completely missing the point and being so self-interested as to be borderline inhuman.

Add to them the owners who's first instinct was to hold out a hand and the PFA being so blindly obstinate that talks collapsed and you have a scenario where a lot of people, who let's be frank, do not need this money right now, sat back and watched hundreds of people who cook and clean and answer phones get furloughed, or took wage cuts or, worse, lost their jobs. All this amounts to a real stink that may never go away for me.

But... Slowly, a growing number of players and clubs have done the right thing, at owner level (in BHA's case) or at player level (Leeds, Birmingham, etc).

Yes. There are still a LOT of inhumane, thankless, CJTC who are taking the whole slice and not giving anything up, but they seem more in a minority than a month ago.

I have, generally, drifted off from football in the past month. I can't listen to Peter Crouch, I can't read PB's emails, I can't even wear the multitude of seagull-bearing clothes in my wardrobe and I am really unsure how I will feel about going back to watching games. Damage has been done, but *some* players have finally stepped up to the mark so maybe I will forgive. Time will tell.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If the club was still at Withdean I’d leave it. Given the club has multimillion revenue and players being paid astronomical amounts I’ll cash in. If there’s going to be any charity to the club then it’s the players who should chip in.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Don't disagree at all in certain instances. Jenas, Rooney and Rose are all ones I would single out as completely missing the point and being so self-interested as to be borderline inhuman.

Add to them the owners who's first instinct was to hold out a hand and the PFA being so blindly obstinate that talks collapsed and you have a scenario where a lot of people, who let's be frank, do not need this money right now, sat back and watched hundreds of people who cook and clean and answer phones get furloughed, or took wage cuts or, worse, lost their jobs. All this amounts to a real stink that may never go away for me.

But... Slowly, a growing number of players and clubs have done the right thing, at owner level (in BHA's case) or at player level (Leeds, Birmingham, etc).

Yes. There are still a LOT of inhumane, thankless, CJTC who are taking the whole slice and not giving anything up, but they seem more in a minority than a month ago.

I have, generally, drifted off from football in the past month. I can't listen to Peter Crouch, I can't read PB's emails, I can't even wear the multitude of seagull-bearing clothes in my wardrobe and I am really unsure how I will feel about going back to watching games. Damage has been done, but *some* players have finally stepped up to the mark so maybe I will forgive. Time will tell.

I do agree, in part. But whatever they do, at player level, they still manage to spoil it. Why does their pay have to be deferred? Why is Brighton's player fund not transparent on what they've done, it just all feels like window dressing. People earning very little are working for others to help them for no reward, people are risking their lives for job that pay annually half of what the average Premier League player earns in a f***ing week! I really can't see me accepting this morally bankrupt attitude.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here