Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Beastie Boys Story

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Really?? This isn't an album that I have given enough time to.

I will take your word for it and give it another few listens.

I am a big fan of Check Your Head and Ill Communication.

Yeah I like all their stuff but that's a favourite.

I'm probably biased by the fact that it came out not long after I met my Mrs and we listened to it a lot then.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yeah I like all their stuff but that's a favourite.

I'm probably biased by the fact that it came out not long after I met my Mrs and we listened to it a lot then.

So often it is not about the quality of the album and more about when we are listening. Lets face it all their albums are quality.

It is no surprise that my two favourite albums are consecutive, with Paul's Boutique and Hello Nasty coming close second.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Really?? This isn't an album that I have given enough time to.

I will take your word for it and give it another few listens.

I am a big fan of Check Your Head and Ill Communication.

Ill Communication is a work of art. Check Your Head is superb too, and "Gratitude" is one of the best tracks they produced IMO. Wasn't quite so impressed with 5 Boroughs personally.

[yt]ZdJ5e70Q8mw[/yt]

Also loved Sabotage on Ill Communication:
[yt]z5rRZdiu1UE[/yt]

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
The Beastie Boys were a much under appreciated band thanks to the ****ish media coverage. Musically they were superb.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
You'll have to have 2 - I just can't decide. There's arguments for both.

3 MCs and 1 DJ

It's a musical conversation with Mix Master Mike.
With the boys coming to life on the video when he started and freezing when he stopped, it's simultaneously funny and very respectful.

Sabrosa

A gorgeous instrumental that deserves to have the bass turned up.
It showed that they always were capable of so much more than their initial frat boy image.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Always hated them.

Had 2 VW badges dug out of my Scirrocco.

Cost a bloody fortune to fix.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Had 2 VW badges dug out of my Scirrocco.

Cost a bloody fortune to fix.

It was so prevalent that VW put an advert out to offer people a free VW badge by writing in rather than nick them off the cars.

vw-beastie-boys-ad.jpg

And Heineken spotted an advertising opportunity with a very young Harry Enfield...

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I just watched this documentary/presentation on Apple TV+.

Brilliant retelling of the Beatie Boys Book. Come to life with Mike D and Ad rock as compelling and watchable as ever.

Anyone else seen it.

Favourite Beasties track?

Man, that book is SO good. Beautiful objet (ooh la la) too. Loved reading it with youtube open to listen to the tunes they were talking about while you read it. Superb.

Not sure I could do a track, but favourite album has always been Check Your Head. Saw them on that tour with Rollins Band. One of the best gigs I have ever been too.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Man, that book is SO good. Beautiful objet (ooh la la) too. Loved reading it with youtube open to listen to the tunes they were talking about while you read it. Superb.

Not sure I could do a track, but favourite album has always been Check Your Head. Saw them on that tour with Rollins Band. One of the best gigs I have ever been too.

I never saw them :cry::cry:

I am making a Spotify playlist and going through all the remixes and b sides. Its really hard because I just keep going "yep, that's brilliant too". Lucky i am not restricted by C90 :lolol:

what would you include form Check Your Head, I having trouble narrowing it down.

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
Going to watch the film tonight, using the free 7 day trial. I had the pleasure of seeing them live 3 times and they were always amazing. Favourite track is such a tough call, with so many. Paul’s boutique is my fave album of all time.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Paul's Boutique for me as well. Always seem to put this into mixes and playlists

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Being of a certain age, I tend to think in albums rather than tracks, and it's The In Sound from Way Out! for me. I've had a strange relationship with the Beastie Boys, as I hated their early stuff so ignored them, and a decade or so later realised I'd been missing out.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Being of a certain age, I tend to think in albums rather than tracks, and it's The In Sound from Way Out! for me. I've had a strange relationship with the Beastie Boys, as I hated their early stuff so ignored them, and a decade or so later realised I'd been missing out.

About 14 when Licensed to Ill came out, I think I thought they were a novelty act. In about 1990 my friend's older boyfriend who had an amazing record collection put shake your rump on. When the bass dropped I was agog, 'What's this??' Had no idea the Beastie Boys made music like that. Then Check your Head came out, and that was me.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
About 14 when Licensed to Ill came out, I think I thought they were a novelty act. In about 1990 my friend's older boyfriend who had an amazing record collection put shake your rump on. When the bass dropped I was agog, 'What's this??' Had no idea the Beastie Boys made music like that. Then Check your Head came out, and that was me.

I used to do my paper round listening to License to Ill on one side of a tape and Raising Hell on the other.

I lost interest in hip hop after Stutter Rap (how could hip hop ever top that) for a while. Then my mate played me Shake your Rump some time in the early 90's and as you say that bass dropped and I was back. Another mate had Check your Head on CD and I always made him play it. Then I bought Ill Communication and my tiny mind was blown.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I used to do my paper round listening to License to Ill on one side of a tape and Raising Hell on the other.

I lost interest in hip hop after Stutter Rap (how could hip hop ever top that) for a while. Then my mate played me Shake your Rump some time in the early 90's and as you say that bass dropped and I was back. Another mate had Check your Head on CD and I always made him play it. Then I bought Ill Communication and my tiny mind was blown.

Saw this a while back on YT. Very cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qztpEVbbcTg

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Pass the mic is my favourite track. A fantastic body of work and one of the best groups I’ve seen live.

Check your head and ill communication are two of my all time faves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here