Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Our ****ing justice system

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Seem to be working alright from that article.

Disagree. He should be spending all 18 weeks of the sentence behind bars IMO.

Police officers are working very hard to keep people safe during this pandemic. Anyone who coughs in their face and say that they want to infect them and their family with the virus, should be banged up.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Disagree. He should be spending all 18 weeks of the sentence behind bars IMO.

Police officers are working very hard to keep people safe during this pandemic. Anyone who coughs in their face and say that they want to infect them and their family with the virus, should be banged up.

Putting people in prison during a pandemic unless they havent murdered someone, or something close to that degree, is like begging for jailed people to fill a significant part of the NHS capacity.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Putting people in prison during a pandemic unless they havent murdered someone, or something close to that degree, is like begging for jailed people to fill a significant part of the NHS capacity.
But letting someone off lightly sends a message out that the law won't do much about that kind of awful behaviour.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Surely there should be some middle ground in these testing times.
Don't even take him to Court.
Just kick his dirty mouth in.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
NSC is like an angry mob at times.

Jail him! No, flog him! No, give him the virus, that will show him!

These kind of reactions are exactly why we have law and order, and a functioning judicial system. The sentencing of a crime should be proportionate to the crime committed, not how angry it makes people.

Even though this behaviour is stupid and makes us all really quite cross, it is still essentially just verbal assault. Jailing someone for that would be mental.
Which is exactly why sentence's should be made on how angry it makes people! Time for change

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Which is exactly why sentence's should be made on how angry it makes people! Time for change

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Oh dear....I weals with you until that last point....trial by social media....no ta......but i dont agree with the guy not getting jail time....potentially passing on something ...jail i think...having said all that ..maybe you are on a windup or had too much afternoon sherry :moo:

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes

These kind of reactions are exactly why we have law and order, and a functioning judicial system. The sentencing of a crime should be proportionate to the crime committed, not how angry it makes people.

Even though this behaviour is stupid and makes us all really quite cross, it is still essentially just verbal assault. Jailing someone for that would be mental.

Are you being serious ?He was claiming to have a deadly disease and wished to give it to Policeman and his family by coughing virus over him. You can`t die of verbal assault, 18000 in our country have died from coronavirus.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Are you being serious ?He was claiming to have a deadly disease and wished to give it to Policeman and his family by coughing virus over him. You can`t die of verbal assault, 18000 in our country have died from coronavirus.

Unfortunately i think he was

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Matt Webb, chair of Sussex Police Federation, said:

“Officers have been placed in an impossible position of trying to uphold hastily drawn-up legislation designed to protect the public and the NHS, in addition to their day-to-day business.

“When they are attacked in this way for simply doing their job, and are not supported by the judicial system, it is a disgrace.

“What sort of message does this send to people like Dangerfield who make police officers fear for the fact that they may be infected with this virus, which has killed thousands of people in this country alone?

“The Police Federation has been fighting for a long time to get assaults of this nature recognised as the serious offences that they are. An attack on a police officer is an attack on society.”

Despite sentencing guidelines and laws to bring in tougher sentences, Insp Webb said “the courts continue to treat these assaults as low level and hand out derisory sentences”.

He added: “Any assault on an Emergency Service worker should attract a custodial sentence and in the current climate especially to not do so is flabbergasting.”

I’m with them. Deliberately spitting or coughing on emergency workers, pre and during covid-19 times, is a disgusting act. Deserving of a deterrent and punishment sentence that will tangibly affect the life of the perpetrator.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

I agree with you. Paul Dacre it was, when editor of the Daily Mail, who said that the perfect front page headline should make people angry or frightened but preferably both. Threads like this seem intended to do something similar. "Let's press a few buttons and make people absolutely FURIOUS." It almost seems manipulative, like the catcalls of a populist politician.

As it happens, the sentence does seem a little mild to me, but I don't know the circumstances and I'll let the experts judge. I'm not one of them.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Matt Webb, chair of Sussex Police Federation, said:

“Officers have been placed in an impossible position of trying to uphold hastily drawn-up legislation designed to protect the public and the NHS, in addition to their day-to-day business.

“When they are attacked in this way for simply doing their job, and are not supported by the judicial system, it is a disgrace.

“What sort of message does this send to people like Dangerfield who make police officers fear for the fact that they may be infected with this virus, which has killed thousands of people in this country alone?

“The Police Federation has been fighting for a long time to get assaults of this nature recognised as the serious offences that they are. An attack on a police officer is an attack on society.”

Despite sentencing guidelines and laws to bring in tougher sentences, Insp Webb said “the courts continue to treat these assaults as low level and hand out derisory sentences”.

He added: “Any assault on an Emergency Service worker should attract a custodial sentence and in the current climate especially to not do so is flabbergasting.”

I’m with them. Deliberately spitting or coughing on emergency workers, pre and during covid-19 times, is a disgusting act. Deserving of a deterrent and punishment sentence that will tangibly affect the life of the perpetrator.

Every decent human being would surely agree with Matt Webbs remarks !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here