Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football is Dead???

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I think most people are quickly coming round to the realisation we won't see any football again for probably a year, but not sure whether I agree that the game is dead. I do though fear more for the likes of clubs in leagues 1 and 2 and whether the future will possibly see one less professional league (with many clubs going to the wall) or the return to regional divisions for the lower 2 leagues.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I think most people are quickly coming round to the realisation we won't see any football again for probably a year, but not sure whether I agree that the game is dead. I do though fear more for the likes of clubs in leagues 1 and 2 and whether the future will possibly see one less professional league (with many clubs going to the wall) or the return to regional divisions for the lower 2 leagues.

Perhaps it would be better to say, football in its current form is dead. In fact, lots of things we have taken for granted for years might need re-assessing post Cov-19.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
It's been pretty obvious for some time that there will be no competitive football for months and possibly years. Many people have just stuck their heads in the sand hoping it will all go away and of course the various worldwide and national associations have tried to put an optimistic spin on things with contingency plans covering the next few months. But, as Chris Whitty said yesterday, the UK will need social distancing at least until the end of the year.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I'm old enough to remember the last time people were saying that football was dead. We were told that all stadiums would have to be multi-purpose, most players would have to be part time and divisions 2, 3 and 4 would have to be regional.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
It will not be back to normal for at least a year. The key to normality is a vaccine and that is a long way off.

But it will be back as we knew it.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
It's been pretty obvious for some time that there will be no competitive football for months and possibly years. ]

DFB (Germany) plans to start Bundesliga matches next month :shrug:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's been pretty obvious for some time that there will be no competitive football for months and possibly years. Many people have just stuck their heads in the sand hoping it will all go away and of course the various worldwide and national associations have tried to put an optimistic spin on things with contingency plans covering the next few months. But, as Chris Whitty said yesterday, the UK will need social distancing at least until the end of the year.

Maybe, maybe not. Bundesliga look set to return in a matter of weeks.

We could see some behind closed doors football in the UK in 2020, in my opinion.

Social distancing is a massively wide scale, we will definitely be utilising some form of SD for at least a year or more, but what that might look like could be massively varied from one month to the next.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I don't think it will die, quite simply their is too much interest in it. Maybe football has a chance to repair itself and morph into something better, something more sustainable.

The question is will it take the chance?

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Many things will never be the same after this, and hopefully the obscene wages and endorsements hoovered up in many professional sports will be one thing readjusted as a result. Who needs that much money, it does nothing for the soul? Introduce a US-style draft system so teams like Newport can one day win the Premier League, while Arsenal can experience the bottom leagues.

Selfishly I’m happy that our PL status will potentially be preserved, with the added bonus of Liverpool not winning the league.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
The main battle for elite football will be trying to reconnect with the vast numbers of fans/customers the are now completely ambivalent towards the game.

Generally people abhor the money and anyone with a basic grasp working for a living doesn't have a modicum of sympathy for those with unnatural wealth to level of ability. It's not the players fault but a mix of greed, bad advisors and stupidity have got to the point where if the carpet gets pulled away there will be more people revelling in schadenfreude than wanting it back. CoVid has hit the factory reset...realigned principals and sense of worth. IE Paying £40 for a gym membership, £30 for a haircut, £50 for 84 minutes of football at the Amex, TV subscriptions, monthly this, monthly that. Gambling. I think a lot of people forgot how much money they had. Anyone lucky enough to be in full time work still now is definitely realising how much they used to spend.

The game's been going for a while but when it started for you to decide. Just a natural process when you start draining blood out of something it doesn't die straight away. I guess it happens in stages. Certainly Newcastle's proposed buyout from a man who brazenly ordered and got away with the assassination and mutilation of a journalist peddling free speech will be yet another fork in the road. Be interesting to see how many people are walking down the "everything is fine highway" after that.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
They will finish 19/20 at some time behind closed doors with pay per view on each game. I am sure season 20/21 will be cancelled and the earliest I expect to see a game again at the Amex is August 2021 and that might be optimistic

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I don't think it will die, quite simply their is too much interest in it. Maybe football has a chance to repair itself and morph into something better, something more sustainable.

The question is will it take the chance?

Sadly, I think the answer is "no". Although I think the Premier League and EFL will combine again into something under the Premier League banner but there will be a lot of clubs that disappear

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Personally I think everything will remain the same, re clubs playing high wages to players and agents and murderous sovereign bodies owning clubs. People will have short memories

The only differences will be that nobody will go to a ground for a very long time and when we do get started there will only be about half the number of clubs there are now.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Reading, Oxford and Swindon will merge into The Thames Valley Royals
Aston Villa will merge with Marbella FC to become Marbella Villa
Man City and Man Utd will become Manchester Republic FC
BHA and Palace will become The Gatwick Express and will take the blue stripe from our kit and the red stripe from theirs for the new strip.
Port Vale and Stoke will become Port Stoke FC

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here