Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] The Big Night In

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Ten Doctor Who actors from the past 50 years will say thank you to real doctors and other NHS staff on a star-studded BBC fundraising telethon later.

Jodie Whittaker will be joined by a host of her predecessors as the Doctor on BBC One's The Big Night In.

Little Britain, Peter Kay, The Vicar of Dibley, My Family, Miranda and Catherine Tate will all also return during the three-hour special.

The show begins at 19:00 BST and will see Children in Need and Comic Relief join forces for the first time.

The Doctors have recorded a message thanking front-line staff for their work during the coronavirus crisis. It will be broadcast just before the weekly Clap For Carers at 20:00 BST.

The actors taking part range from Tom Baker, who played the role between 1974-81, to current Tardis-dweller Jodie Whittaker, and Jo Martin, who appeared as an alternative incarnation of the Doctor in two episodes earlier this year.

Image caption
Left-right: Matt Lucas, Dawn French and Catherine Tate will revive much-loved comedy characters
Other highlights of the night will include Matt Lucas and David Walliams doing Little Britain on TV for the first time in a decade.

Dawn French will revive The Vicar of Dibley, and Kay will unveil a new video for (Is This The Way To) Amarillo.

Tate will bring back schoolgirl Lauren - who is struggling with being remotely educated by her teacher, played by David Tennant.

The much loved BBC sitcom My Family will be resurrected as the family try to dial in on a zoom call from their various new homes with hilarious consequences.

Miranda is back for one night only as we see how lockdown makes her no less error prone, a treat for comedy fans across the nation.

Dua Lipa, Rita Ora and Chris Martin have taken part in the official single
The three-hour show will aim to raise millions of pounds for vulnerable people around the UK who have been affected by the pandemic. The government has pledged to match all public donations, with a minimum of £20 million.

The programme also promises to "celebrate the acts of kindness, humour and the spirit of hope and resilience that is keeping the nation going".

It will include the unveiling of a home-made video for a charity single featuring stars like Dua Lipa, Chris Martin and Rita Ora.

They - along with the likes of Ellie Goulding, Jess Glynne, Paloma Faith and Rag 'N' Bone Man - have recorded an upgraded cover of Foo Fighters' 2003 track Times Like These.

Sir Lenny Henry and Davina McCall are among the hosts
Gary Barlow, Steve Coogan, Rob Brydon, Jack Whitehall, Romesh Ranganathan, Brendon O'Carroll and the cast of EastEnders are among the others expected to appear on the show.

Some of the charitable contributions will include Vernon Kay sitting in a bath of baked beans for the entirety of the 3 hour show.

Rylan Clark Neal will host a special segment of the show highlighting what lockdown means to the LGBTQI+ community. Plus expect a very special surprise from Sam Smith with their new single and a special collaboration.

And the Strictly Come Dancing professionals have come up with a new routine for people to learn at home.

The programme will be hosted by Matt Baker, Zoe Ball, Sir Lenny Henry, Paddy McGuinness and Davina McCall.

'Something positive'
"It's so exciting to actually be able to do something positive... especially bringing Comic Relief and Children In Need together for one night only," McCall told BBC Radio 5 Live on Wednesday.

"We're actually going to be in a studio, which I'm personally extremely excited about - being in the same room as other people.

"We're going to be in the BBC One Show studio, so there will be Matt, Lenny and me for the first hour and we will all be two metres apart."

Music artists unite for Live Lounge charity single
Little Britain back on TV for BBC's Big Night In
9 shows to help you through self-isolation
Sir Lenny told BBC Breakfast on Saturday: "We're all going to be socially distanced, and then do a bit, and then move away from each other, and then nearly everybody else is doing stuff from home or from a remote location. It's going to be great!"

The aim of the night is to let "the key workers and the care workers know that we really respect what they're doing", he said.

Speaking about the fundraising, he added: "A lot of the projects that we support have come to us and said that they're really struggling in this time. They need our help."

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Goof grief. I'll be having a Big Night Out...in the shed.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Hearts in the right place, but what a load of shit.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Fecking hell, aren’t we suffering enough already. I can’t tell you how wide a berth I’ll be giving this shit :smile:

Disclaimer, I am very happy to clap at 2000 and I am immensely grateful for all that key workers and the NHS are doing but a luvvyfest to celebrate it? No thanks

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
This is going to end in a load of people who look like potatoes and don't own anything that isn't Superdry or Gazelles singing Amarillo in separate lounges with the justification that "everyone needs a laugh at the moment", isn't it

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
My biggest problem with this is that these charities are jumping on the coronavirus bandwagon to fund their own causes. If it was fundraising for the NHS that would help it and other associated caring organisations at this time I wouldn’t have a problem.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I can cope with Sir Lenny as a host but the others? Baker and McGuiness are God awful and Ball and McCall are barely tolerable.

It's a pity as some of this I would like to see ( other than Vernon Kaye sat in a bath of beans) but I don't think I will have the willpower.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Another corporation trying to show how kind and sympathetic they are to everyone, just like banks, food shops etc etc etc

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Give me the quiet dignity of Captain Tom any day.

This lot can **** off, frankly.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just noticed the BBC have put the entire 10 series of "Spooks " up on iplayer...!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Sounds great to me, can't wait.
They could not have found 4 better people to host it either, I have to admit that I have missed seeing Davina McCall on my TV lately with her infectious smile and the energy of Zoe Ball will compliment Dav (as I like to call her) perfectly.
Matt Baker will bring gravitas to the occasion along with his funny anecdotes and razor sharp wit.
Please Lenny, can you do your Katanga act as I always find it hilarious and if you could do an impression of your mum then that is something to really look out for as well.
Well done all involved.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
My telly will be having a Big Night Off.

I do feel for some of these 3rd rate "celebrities" though, not getting a jolly on the bbc this year.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The Big Night In. If this doesn't make you want to go out...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
F9923305-2D17-4762-9645-DCCEE882FD4D.jpeg
Give me the quiet dignity of Captain Tom any day.

This lot can **** off, frankly.

I have no idea if this is true....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here