Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Does the NUFC deal change TB's position?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Please don't take this as a criticism of TB, having watched Albion at the Goldstone before joining the Army and then watching them, and holding a season ticket for twenty years, since returning to Sussex in 2000 I can honestly say I have so much admiration for the guy and it's that sentiment that's driving this post.

TB is a wealthy guy, we all know, but at around £1.3bn it's, I think, about 1% of the value of the Saudi group?

Given that he's invested probably 25% of his wealth in The Albion he's at significant risk as more and more of these hyper rich groups enter the EPL.

So, will the premier league be completely bought up by more and more wealthy groups and syndicates making it noncompetitive for the "fan" owners and will they be cast into the EFL wilderness?

Because of this should he cash in some or all of his chips?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Please don't take this as a criticism of TB, having watched Albion at the Goldstone before joining the Army and then watching them, and holding a season ticket for twenty years, since returning to Sussex in 2000 I can honestly say I have so much admiration for the guy and it's that sentiment that's driving this post.

TB is a wealthy guy, we all know, but at around £1.3bn it's, I think, about 1% of the value of the Saudi group?

Given that he's invested probably 25% of his wealth in The Albion he's at significant risk as more and more of these hyper rich groups enter the EPL.

So, will the premier league be completely bought up by more and more wealthy groups and syndicates making it noncompetitive for the "fan" owners and will they be cast into the EFL wilderness?

Calling [MENTION=34942]Dr. No[/MENTION] :thumbsup:

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I am of the opinion that TB would never sell shares to an outside buyer. He would want his position to be past on through his family to keep the Bloom connection continuous. He has put in a lot of investment to the club he loves he is not going to sell even part of it to anyone outside his family.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I don't think it does - but the only thing is what impact has COVID19 & probable recession going to have on his personal wealth? I suspect only very few know but it will be interesting to see what happens

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
If the PL is bought up by squillionaires then I’d rather we dropped a league and kept it real.

I wouldn’t want BHA to be some Saudi prince’s plaything.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

-you don't know he's worth 1.3bn (I've read it's a lot more than that). Also, how is he at risk ? He hasn't 'lost' 250m...
-I think he's pretty astute - he will have only invested what he can afford not to require back out at some point
-he's repeatedly said he has no intention of selling the club (there is quote somewhere about him handing on to his son when the time comes)
-NUFC will be a plaything for the Saudis - it's literally pocket change (SWF is worth $320 BILLION) - IF they're allowed to complete the purchase

It's a no from me.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
giphy.gif

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
-you don't know he's worth 1.3bn (I've read it's a lot more than that). Also, how is he at risk ? He hasn't 'lost' 250m...
-I think he's pretty astute - he will have only invested what he can afford not to require back out at some point
-he's repeatedly said he has no intention of selling the club (there is quote somewhere about him handing on to his son when the time comes)
-NUFC will be a plaything for the Saudis - it's literally pocket change (SWF is worth $320 BILLION) - IF they're allowed to complete the purchase

It's a no from me.

I'm not saying he should, I'm saying should he? Very different.

My quote of concern is that if more and more groups buy up EPL clubs then owners like TB won't be ab;e to compete and their investments "COULD" be at risk in the EFL wilderness. I thought I was very clear that it wasn't a criticism and that it was also a question to debate, on a football chat site!

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
If the PL is bought up by squillionaires then I’d rather we dropped a league and kept it real.

I wouldn’t want BHA to be some Saudi prince’s plaything.

This. Although the worrying thing is that they are far from playthings, it's much darker than that. These arrangements make the club part of the political establishment of that country, make it a massive tool in global propaganda for corrupt regimes and are used to launder money and assets into the UK.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

It's a no from me.

This. And, I assume, with online poker use going through the roof our Tone isn't completely furloughed at the moment.....

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm not saying he should, I'm saying should he? Very different.

My quote of concern is that if more and more groups buy up EPL clubs then owners like TB won't be ab;e to compete and their investments "COULD" be at risk in the EFL wilderness. I thought I was very clear that it wasn't a criticism and that it was also a question to debate, on a football chat site!

I get that........it's still a no though, primary reason being there is no way in the world he'd want to.....there aren't many more squillionaire SWFs that will be buying clubs up. Funny thing is I think CV19 will leave TB in a stronger position - club has been sensibly managed relative to many, and I can see some bars being reset in the game after all this (particularly TV deals and player wages) which might help level-set - we'll benefit from that.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
OP.

Is this what you want to happen? A Saudi (or similar) take over followed by several mega signings.

Or would you prefer things to continue as they are with TB in charge?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
At the risk of a flippant comment, I doubt Newcastle will sell too many shirts in Yemen.

Would you want to go and see a team bought with blood money and on the back of environmental destruction ... ok I do get that it's quite easy to be sanctimonious about this sort of thing, no accumulation of wealth is without question. But the Saudi's .... is there anyone lower?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
At the risk of a flippant comment, I doubt Newcastle will sell too many shirts in Yemen.

Would you want to go and see a team bought with blood money and on the back of environmental destruction ... ok I do get that it's quite easy to be sanctimonious about this sort of thing, no accumulation of wealth is without question. But the Saudi's .... is there anyone lower?

Man City fans don't seem to have too many qualms about ownership of their club. Same as the fans of every other PL club with, er, INTERESTING foreign ownership :shrug:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
No amount of money will get the worlds superstar's wags wanting to stay up in the North East.

There was talk a few years ago that they were looking at having a training complex near London, this could be the time to do it. A total disconnect from their fanbase.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here