Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Lockdown TV

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Some welcome good news with some new shows and a return of old favourites as TV stations adjust their schedules for the coming months (according to Auntie)…

Ross Kemp and Rustie Lee are to front a new TV series celebrating the efforts of some of the UK's 750,000 volunteers during the coronavirus crisis.

'Ross and Rusties Volunteer Army' will see the TV personalities join those helping the vulnerable with everything from shopping to delivering hospital equipment.

The BBC One daytime show is among a raft of new programmes aimed at helping audiences through the lockdown.

New comedy, including a Charlie Booker special, will also come to BBC Two.

Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe is given a hilarious new twist being renamed Antiviral Wipe

And ITV will screen a series of one-off dramas under the Isolation Stories banner, featuring such stars as Sheridan Smith, Robert Glenister and Eddie Marsan - and in some cases their families too.

The actors and their families have filmed the scenes themselves in isolation, with directors watching remotely and giving advice about camera positioning, scene composition and lighting.

Smith will star in Mel as a heavily pregnant isolated woman facing childbirth alone, without the married father of her child and without her family, who have given her the cold shoulder.

Smith said: "I am heavily pregnant and have been isolating at home so I jumped at the chance to make a drama about the massive drama going on all around us right now.

"I think it's really important to try and reflect what's happening to us whilst it is still actually happening."

Glenister and his actor son Tom will star in Ron and Russell. The Hustle and Spooks star will play a man suffering with coronavirus, who is isolated with his son in an increasingly tense home environment.

Marsan will be joined by his sons Blue and Bodie in another instalment, while further episodes will feature David Threlfall, Darren Boyd and Angela Griffin.

Other new BBC One shows include Saving Our Nurses, which will shine a light on a mentorship scheme set up by one NHS hospital trust before the coronavirus outbreak.

Another five-part series, Our Finest Hours, will look at how the UK has responded with acts of kindness and resilience to previous times of crisis, such as during World War II, and compare past experience with the impact of Covid-19.

On BBC Two, Charlie Brooker's Antiviral Wipe will be a one-off special edition of his satirical Screenwipe series, looking at the things people are watching and doing to keep themselves occupied.

Meanwhile, Comedians Playing With Themselves will feature John Bishop, Joe Pasquale and Romesh Ranganathan in six 15-minute episodes.

ITV is also reportedly working on a lockdown reboot of its game show All Star Family Fortunes, to be hosted by Stephen Mulhern, which was last seen on screens in 2015 and giving celebrities and their families the chance to win spot prizes and a lower top prize of £25,000 to reflect the economic downsizing many ordinary families are facing.

Instead of being filmed in a studio, cameras will go into the homes of the two competing families, according to Deadline.

BBC will also be showing reruns of some of their all time comedy favorites including The Green Green Grass, All Round to Mrs Browns and My Family, whilst ITV will show repeats of some of it's most heartwarming drama series including Londons Burning, The Bill and Hartbeat.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Hopefully ITV will bin Piers Morgan and Lorraine Kelly to improve their ratings

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
So ITV is going for Family Fortunes and repeats of the Bill .... Imaginitive ... I'll keep my eyes peeled for those

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
So ITV is going for Family Fortunes and repeats of the Bill .... Imaginitive ... I'll keep my eyes peeled for those
Police 5 re-runs would be good too...

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I would like to see anything with Larry Grayson in it immediately returned to our screens to cheer us all up.
Everard, slack Alice, look at the muck in here, shut that door, classic side splitting old school comedy.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
*spits out tea*

The "economic downsizing" bit in particular.

Rather disappointed that Ainsley Harriott didn't feature though.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Wrong thread I suppose but has anyone seen Unorthodox? We're doing one instalment at a time. Can't handle much more. Wonderful.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sadly, I look forward to the 5pm Downing Street press conferences.

Gives a bit of structure to the day, signalling the cessation of daytime WFH / northstandchat, over to evening relaxation / northstandchat.

Then if I have bad will power and stay up late, the daily CNN show from the White House is also decent TV.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Ross and Rustie's volunteer army!

*clap* *clap* *clap* *clap*

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Disappointingly unimaginative fare from the BBC. Does the world really need Rustie Lee?

Why not show re-runs of great crime dramas like Silent Witness, Line of Duty etc? Or comedys like Dads Army, Fawlty Towers, Blackadder?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I’ve not watched much tv for a long time, so I’ve got loads of stuff to catch up on. I’m working my way through “Spooks” and “Breaking Bad” at the moment (never seen either prior to lockdown). I’m enjoying both of them.

trouble is now Family Fortunes has been repeated to death on Challenge and The Bill on Gold, Alibi, Drama, Watch AND W !!!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here