Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ben White - Sings new FOUR year deal.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I agree. But if he’s doing OK but not exceptionally in our defence (kind of Webster level) we’ll never get offered £30m+ again. Also, remember he’s almost 23 so he’s not young by PL footballer standards, he’d need to hit the ground running from Day 1 to retain a £30m value as there isn’t much scope for development. It’s a gamble either way.

I agree with [MENTION=37958]Lever[/MENTION] too, I wouldn’t be selling to Leeds under any realistic circumstances.

He's 3 years younger than Lewis Dunk was when he first kicked a ball at Premier League level. In fact he's going to be the same age that Dunk was when he had, in my opinion, his breakthrough season (14/15) that resulted in an offer of 7m from Fulham at the start of the 15/16 campaign.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
The thing that really peeved me is the sheer arrogance of the Leeds fans. You try and engage them on Twitter with reasoned debate and all you get is ‘tinpot Brighton’, ‘he’s Leeds now’, ‘Leeds or Brighton, no contest’ etc.

I was quite pleased they’re back. Now I real hope it all goes properly tits up for them.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I do hope Leeds aren't tapping up one of our players. Tony will not be very impressed.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Yeah feck Leeds, let’s make it as hard as possible for them to get their way here. I have seen no quotes about how they are grateful to the Albion for loaning him to them, just a diatribe of entitled shit. It’s like we don’t even have a say.

With any luck a genuinely big team will enter the fray and we can then make a considered decision rather than being told (with no printed backup) that he doesn’t want to play for the Albion and that he will end up at Leeds.

Stuff I read yesterday said very clearly Leeds (and Leeds fans) wanted an option to buy in the loan contract, which we would not do. Graham Potter has his eye on him when he was Swansea manager. GP wants to work with him. I don’t think there’s any way he’s going anywhere else unless it’s an offer we would be daft to refuse - £40 or £50 million from a top six club.

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
Ironic considering one of Bielsa's first acts when taking over as manager was to make the players collect litter from the training ground to make them learn some humility.

[Tweet]1285168555839954944[/Tweet]

No morals, no self respect and no shame.

The clear up should be charged to the club’s transfer kitty.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
Ironic considering one of Bielsa's first acts when taking over as manager was to make the players collect litter from the training ground to make them learn some humility.

[Tweet]1285168555839954944[/Tweet]

Pure filth.

They have Chris Moyles, we have Des Lynam, there is a clear class difference.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I agree. But if he’s doing OK but not exceptionally in our defence (kind of Webster level) we’ll never get offered £30m+ again. Also, remember he’s almost 23 so he’s not young by PL footballer standards, he’d need to hit the ground running from Day 1 to retain a £30m value as there isn’t much scope for development. It’s a gamble either way.

I agree with [MENTION=37958]Lever[/MENTION] too, I wouldn’t be selling to Leeds under any realistic circumstances.

Webster if he continues on post lockdown form will be easily worth £30m+. I cant see any upside to selling White this season for that sort of money.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I have to admit that I have not seen Ben White play in the flesh as it were but I have seen loads of highlights so for what's it worth he appears calm on the ball very quick feet as well as very quick likes to break forward and ping long range right to left cross field balls he strikes me he's a younger version of Lewis Dunk, is he mature enough for the premiere possibly is he good enough for the premiere maybe, it took Webster a good half a season to get up to speed

Sleaford Seagull

Nov 17, 2010
Sleaford
The thing that really peeved me is the sheer arrogance of the Leeds fans. You try and engage them on Twitter with reasoned debate and all you get is ‘tinpot Brighton’, ‘he’s Leeds now’, ‘Leeds or Brighton, no contest’ etc.

I was quite pleased they’re back. Now I real hope it all goes properly tits up for them.

Nail on the head for me. I was also quite pleased to see Leeds get promoted, I've got a few Leeds mates so would be nice to see us face them at the top level, especially considering we usually get the better of them. However since their promotion was confirmed, social media has been filled with the most arrogant group of supporters I've come across. It doesn't even seem to be the minority that are mouthing off either, it's probably only 1 in 20 probably that show any sort of humility.
Every post seems to be about when they sign White like it's a forgone conclusion and that it is unthinkable he would ever play for Brighton after Leeds.

I can't wait to see their fans go into meltdown when he inevitably signs a new contract with us this Summer.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Why don't you post it - for the sake of balance ?

In the same article it mentions the serious injury to a WPC caused by a fan throwing something at her? 7000 fans congregating in Millenium Square in the centre of Leeds, completely ignoring social distancing guidelines. To give balance it says that most of the fans were well behaved, and that is the issue. Twitter unfortunately doesn’t represent the silent majority of fans who probably have a balanced view.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’m not knocking Webster, far from it, but he is never going to be sold to a top six club or go for more than £30m.

The upside of selling White now is that if we put him in our team next season and find he’s no better than Webster, perhaps considerably worse, we’ll never be offered over £30m again. I’m just floating the idea that a 23 year old with one good season in the Championship to his name might not be the next Bobby Moore.

Have you seen Arsenal, United and City’s defenders? I’d suggest that if he continues to improve as much as he has this season Webster will be just as good, if not better.

Having said that I think Dunk is already better than quite a few who are at top six clubs so what do I know?

Would it be sacrilege to suggest that Webster is potentially better then Dunk with the ball at his feet, and has that all important attribute at this level -pace

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Re on selling White.

Our starting point is that over the last three seasons our defence has ranked 9th, 14th and 12th equal. However, our attack has ranked 17th, 17th and 15th equal with Newcastle and Bournemouth.

Therefore, while our defence has historically been good our attack has struggled, while Murray gets one year older. We need a top quality striker and if - through Covid - we don't have the funds to buy then I would support selling White in order to buy.

Sooner or later that one striker we rely upon will pick up an injury and when that happens our season could unravel.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
As White's loan finishes on Wednesday night, could he play for the Albion on Sunday? Could you imagine the LOLs?!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
As White's loan finishes on Wednesday night, could he play for the Albion on Sunday? Could you imagine the LOLs?!

No but he could be watching in his Brighton tracksuit

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here