Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ben White - Sings new FOUR year deal.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The premise of the entire article is based on the opinion of Kevin Phillips, an ex-player and unsuccessful coach who, other than having had a 2 year spell at Southampton when White would've been about 6-7 years old, has never had any connection with either Brighton or any of the clubs that Ben White has ever been on loan to.

If a big-6 club such as City were desperate to sign a defender to slot into their starting 11, they'd be after signing Lewis Dunk, who is currently a better player than Ben White.

Although I agree with your first sentence, I disagree on your second: City's recent transfer activity is to buy youngish, talented players.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Would be nice to take all that at face value. [emoji28]

Ben White is good enough to go straight into Man City’s starting line up.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

No one knows if he's good enough to go straight into a mid-lower PL team's starting line-up, never mind City.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We don’t even know if he is as good as Adam Webster, last season’s stand out Championship defender....hasn’t his ability in the air been called into question a few times this season?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Although that said City only have 1 centre back and he's been crocked since his (never mentioned) assault on our centre back who had got the better of the entire City team.

Not too shabby when you think that our centre back in question is one of the worst footballers ever to play the game.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Although that said City only have 1 centre back and he's been crocked since his (never mentioned) assault on our centre back who had got the better of the entire City team.

Not too shabby when you think that our centre back in question is one of the worst footballers ever to play the game.

We are the champs at signing not good enough but expensive footballers though

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We are the champs at signing not good enough but expensive footballers though

I'd like to say we're the champs at having a twatty, entitled fanbase, but we can't even own that.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I presume that if we stay up, then White comes back here, as Graham Potter has already suggested will be the case.

If we go down and White wants to go, then Leeds will have to match any offer we might get from other clubs, assuming they come anywhere near TB's idea of an asking price.

But if - as many experts have suggested - the transfer market is depressed by a glut of available talent and a shortage of readies at buying clubs, then it would make no sense whatever to sell at a bargain-basement price. Especially if we have a player who has proven himself to be outstanding in the division we are in.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
We've also got Ostigaard, who at 2 years Ben White's junior is shining in the German 2nd tier at St Pauli. Any idea what the standard is over there compared to the Championship? We certainly seem have a good record at scouting young centre backs!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I presume that if we stay up, then White comes back here, as Graham Potter has already suggested will be the case.

If we go down and White wants to go, then Leeds will have to match any offer we might get from other clubs, assuming they come anywhere near TB's idea of an asking price.

But if - as many experts have suggested - the transfer market is depressed by a glut of available talent and a shortage of readies at buying clubs, then it would make no sense whatever to sell at a bargain-basement price. Especially if we have a player who has proven himself to be outstanding in the division we are in.

Agree with all that, although I'd add that if White wants to leave (which will be far more likely if a top six club comes calling), that may force TB's hand.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Agree with all that, although I'd add that if White wants to leave (which will be far more likely if a top six club comes calling), that may force TB's hand.

They'll still have to pay our asking price. I'm fairly sure that Maupay and Webster were very keen to come to Brighton to play PL football with PL sized contracts. We still had to pay 20m for each though!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Understand the PFA are trying to negotiate some sort of 'mass extension' to all players contracts for a limited time, probably until the end of July. But if not, can Ben play for us this season.
We have at least 1 untaken position in the 25 man squad, so no reason why not.

In fact, it may not even be certain how 25 man squad rules will work in an extended season.

I don't know if Locadia going on loan gives us a 2nd free space or not. If not, we may have to make a decision as to who to include, with both White and Andone being possible.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Just a bit more guesswork here... Article suggests if we sell Dunk to Leicester for 45mil, we would want to keep White..

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/leeds-uniteds-ben-white-deal-18191240?

Bit of garbage really. White to be the distributor alongside the enforcer, Duffy!!! If that's the case, why hasn't the 'enforcer' played regularly this season then? It's not Potter's style. Besides, Dunk will be 29 in November and my guess is he is very happy at Brighton and will stay provided we are playing in the EPL.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here